ie8 and vista hpro.

robint is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ie8 and vista hpro.
my advice fwiw is dont install ie8 over existing ie 7 which came with my laptop and vista hp

when encouraged by M$ to do this, it was a slow install and wouldnt play flash apps or install adobe flash 10 update so i couldt view many websites without freezing. so i tried to revert to ie7 by reinstall (rather than roll back probably a mistake)

now ie7 is clunky and difficult to use, normal word proc like cut and paste dont work, i have to right click to get the cursor to move and other nuisances - a real pain in the aerosol

how can rubbish like this happen, is there a feud going on between adobe and M$

i see that M$ is agressively pushing its Silverlight product against flashplayer

not going to touch that with a bargepole

so i mostly use firefox but am occasionaly obliged to use IE by some sites (banking eg)
Jeff Strickland

Re: ie8 and vista hpro.

"robint" <robint.4d7m4f@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> my advice fwiw is dont install ie8 over existing ie 7 which came with my
> laptop and vista hp
>
> when encouraged by M$ to do this, it was a slow install and wouldnt
> play flash apps or install adobe flash 10 update so i couldt view many
> websites without freezing. so i tried to revert to ie7 by reinstall
> (rather than roll back probably a mistake)

Flash 10 does not work with 64-bit systems. You must use the 32-bit version
of IE8 to utelize the services of Flash 10.

Click START>ALL PROGRAMS, then scroll donw your programs to Internet
Explorer and use the one that does not say (64-bit)

G. R. Woodring

Re: ie8 and vista hpro.
Date: 6/27/2010 5:44 AM, Author: robint Wrote:
> my advice fwiw is dont install ie8 over existing ie 7 which came with my
> laptop and vista hp
>
> when encouraged by M$ to do this, it was a slow install and wouldnt
> play flash apps or install adobe flash 10 update so i couldt view many
> websites without freezing. so i tried to revert to ie7 by reinstall
> (rather than roll back probably a mistake)
>
> now ie7 is clunky and difficult to use, normal word proc like cut and
> paste dont work, i have to right click to get the cursor to move and
> other nuisances - a real pain in the aerosol
>
> how can rubbish like this happen, is there a feud going on between
> adobe and M$
>
> i see that M$ is agressively pushing its Silverlight product against
> flashplayer
>
> not going to touch that with a bargepole
>
> so i mostly use firefox but am occasionaly obliged to use IE by some
> sites (banking eg)

You don't go back to IE7 by either re-install *or* "roll-back" (System Restore?).
Simply un-install Windows Internet Explorer 8 from Add/Remove Programs, IE8 then puts
IE7 back just as it was.

The IE7 installer probably tried to "Do-the-Right-Thing" and did not replace newer
files (IE8 files) with it's own older versions. You are now faced with unscrambling
an egg. IMO, IE7 has probably been destroyed and you will need to reformat and start
over if you want to use it.

A simpler approach would be to remove _all_ add-ons from IE7, then un-check "Enable
third-party browser extensions" on the "Advanced" tab of Internet Options. Download
and install the 32 bit version of IE8 and install it. You should also probably
remove all old versions of Adobe Flash for IE and when you reinstall, make sure to
dis-allow any added toolbars or such that it wants to include.

I also normally use Firefox but but I find 8 to be the best IE Microsoft has produced
so far. Incidentally, incompatible add-ons are also the most common failing of new
versions of Firefox.

Aggressively pushing Silverlight? It's a line on the optional update page that I
usually don't even visit. How "aggressive" can it be if I have to go look for it?

--
G. R. Woodring

robint is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ie8 and vista hpro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. R. Woodring View Post
Date: 6/27/2010 5:44 AM, Author: robint Wrote:
> my advice fwiw is dont install ie8 over existing ie 7 which came with my
> laptop and vista hp
>
> when encouraged by M$ to do this, it was a slow install and wouldnt
> play flash apps or install adobe flash 10 update so i couldt view many
> websites without freezing. so i tried to revert to ie7 by reinstall
> (rather than roll back probably a mistake)
>
> now ie7 is clunky and difficult to use, normal word proc like cut and
> paste dont work, i have to right click to get the cursor to move and
> other nuisances - a real pain in the aerosol
>
> how can rubbish like this happen, is there a feud going on between
> adobe and M$
>
> i see that M$ is agressively pushing its Silverlight product against
> flashplayer
>
> not going to touch that with a bargepole
>
> so i mostly use firefox but am occasionaly obliged to use IE by some
> sites (banking eg)

You don't go back to IE7 by either re-install *or* "roll-back" (System Restore?).
Simply un-install Windows Internet Explorer 8 from Add/Remove Programs, IE8 then puts
IE7 back just as it was.

The IE7 installer probably tried to "Do-the-Right-Thing" and did not replace newer
files (IE8 files) with it's own older versions. You are now faced with unscrambling
an egg. IMO, IE7 has probably been destroyed and you will need to reformat and start
over if you want to use it.

A simpler approach would be to remove _all_ add-ons from IE7, then un-check "Enable
third-party browser extensions" on the "Advanced" tab of Internet Options. Download
and install the 32 bit version of IE8 and install it. You should also probably
remove all old versions of Adobe Flash for IE and when you reinstall, make sure to
dis-allow any added toolbars or such that it wants to include.

I also normally use Firefox but but I find 8 to be the best IE Microsoft has produced
so far. Incidentally, incompatible add-ons are also the most common failing of new
versions of Firefox.

Aggressively pushing Silverlight? It's a line on the optional update page that I
usually don't even visit. How "aggressive" can it be if I have to go look for it?

--
G. R. Woodring

OK GW

will try out your suggestions

ive got a workaround and use firefox and chrome mostly

M$ should be more careful and less arrogant towards users (but they dont show any indication of this) imho they will fall flat on their face when china brings out their own version of LINUX

they have the muscle and userbase to push it out worldwide

what p's me off is that you cant buy a new pc without being forced to have vista (yes the odd one is Acer notebooks with linux but its cludgy)

i had to cajole my local pc shop to provide me with a new pc with XPsp2 installed, he phoned around his sources and got one of the last on the shelf

perhaps this has gone off topic