Slow starting ie8

thermo102

Slow starting ie8
OS is WinXP and use Zone Alarm.

Everything worked fine untill:

Approx. two(2) weeks ago, after getting the latest updates for WinXp and
ie8, I noticed ie8 took an extremely long time to load. After loading,
everything seems to work normally.

Downloaded new copy of browser and installed after removing old copy. No
affect.

Shutting down Zone Alarm had no effect

I've since updated my graphics driver, but no effect there either.

I use broadband via ethernet, so in order not to be connected to the web
when playing games, etc. I disable the ethernet adaptor. (Makes me feel more
secure??).

Often, I start the PC, enable the adaptor, then start the browser. This is
when it takes "forever" to load.

Yesterday, I forgot to enable the adaptor, and started the browser which
loaded "normally".
I then enabled the adaptor and was able to access the web immediately.

It seems a good solution, but it seems when I click a link, it takes a long
time to open a new page.

Anybody have any idea what may be going on?

Thanks in advance,
Ace

Re: Slow starting ie8
1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed (e.g., ZAISS)
and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other
than Defender)? What third-party firewall (e.g., ZA Free)? Were any of
these applications running in the background when you installed, uninstalled
and/or reinstalled IE8?

4. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

thermo102 wrote:
> OS is WinXP and use Zone Alarm.
>
> Everything worked fine untill:
>
> Approx. two(2) weeks ago, after getting the latest updates for WinXp and
> ie8, I noticed ie8 took an extremely long time to load. After loading,
> everything seems to work normally.
>
> Downloaded new copy of browser and installed after removing old copy. No
> affect.
>
> Shutting down Zone Alarm had no effect
>
> I've since updated my graphics driver, but no effect there either.
>
> I use broadband via ethernet, so in order not to be connected to the web
> when playing games, etc. I disable the ethernet adaptor. (Makes me feel
> more
> secure??).
>
> Often, I start the PC, enable the adaptor, then start the browser. This
> is
> when it takes "forever" to load.
>
> Yesterday, I forgot to enable the adaptor, and started the browser which
> loaded "normally".
> I then enabled the adaptor and was able to access the web immediately.
>
> It seems a good solution, but it seems when I click a link, it takes a
> long
> time to open a new page.
>
> Anybody have any idea what may be going on?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ace

thermo102

Re: Slow starting ie8

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Thought we were onto something, but alas! Same behavior?

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
> & IE8 in all OSS]

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Reset to default settings and still same behavior?

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed (e.g.,
> ZAISS) and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications
> (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (e.g., ZA Free)? Were
> any of these applications running in the background when you installed,
> uninstalled and/or reinstalled IE8?

I run the Zone Alarm Internet Suite, but shut it down when installing
programs.
Is it desirable to shut it down when uninstalling programs? If yes, why?

> 4. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

Memory sort of foggy, but I think I used McAfee a long time ago.
Do they have a removal tool to catch any last remnants?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> thermo102 wrote:
>> OS is WinXP and use Zone Alarm.
>>
>> Everything worked fine untill:
>>
>> Approx. two(2) weeks ago, after getting the latest updates for WinXp and
>> ie8, I noticed ie8 took an extremely long time to load. After loading,
>> everything seems to work normally.
>>
>> Downloaded new copy of browser and installed after removing old copy. No
>> affect.
>>
>> Shutting down Zone Alarm had no effect
>>
>> I've since updated my graphics driver, but no effect there either.
>>
>> I use broadband via ethernet, so in order not to be connected to the web
>> when playing games, etc. I disable the ethernet adaptor. (Makes me feel
>> more
>> secure??).
>>
>> Often, I start the PC, enable the adaptor, then start the browser. This
>> is
>> when it takes "forever" to load.
>>
>> Yesterday, I forgot to enable the adaptor, and started the browser which
>> loaded "normally".
>> I then enabled the adaptor and was able to access the web immediately.
>>
>> It seems a good solution, but it seems when I click a link, it takes a
>> long
>> time to open a new page.
>>
>> Anybody have any idea what may be going on?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ace

Re: Slow starting ie8
1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
desktop:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't
TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. Do another reset, reboot & test.

thermo102 wrote:
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

> Thought we were onto something, but alas! Same behavior?

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
>> & IE8 in all OSS]

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

> Reset to default settings and still same behavior?
>
>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed (e.g.,
>> ZAISS) and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications
>> (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (e.g., ZA Free)? Were
>> any of these applications running in the background when you installed,
>> uninstalled and/or reinstalled IE8?

> I run the Zone Alarm Internet Suite, but shut it down when installing
> programs.
> Is it desirable to shut it down when uninstalling programs? If yes, why?
>
>> 4. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

> Memory sort of foggy, but I think I used McAfee a long time ago.
> Do they have a removal tool to catch any last remnants?
>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> thermo102 wrote:
>>> OS is WinXP and use Zone Alarm.
>>>
>>> Everything worked fine untill:
>>>
>>> Approx. two(2) weeks ago, after getting the latest updates for WinXp and
>>> ie8, I noticed ie8 took an extremely long time to load. After loading,
>>> everything seems to work normally.
>>>
>>> Downloaded new copy of browser and installed after removing old copy.
>>> No
>>> affect.
>>>
>>> Shutting down Zone Alarm had no effect
>>>
>>> I've since updated my graphics driver, but no effect there either.
>>>
>>> I use broadband via ethernet, so in order not to be connected to the web
>>> when playing games, etc. I disable the ethernet adaptor. (Makes me feel
>>> more
>>> secure??).
>>>
>>> Often, I start the PC, enable the adaptor, then start the browser. This
>>> is
>>> when it takes "forever" to load.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I forgot to enable the adaptor, and started the browser which
>>> loaded "normally".
>>> I then enabled the adaptor and was able to access the web immediately.
>>>
>>> It seems a good solution, but it seems when I click a link, it takes a
>>> long
>>> time to open a new page.
>>>
>>> Anybody have any idea what may be going on?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Ace

thermo102

Re: Slow starting ie8
I downloaded MCPR.exe, shut down tasks on the taskbar and ran it. Saw a lot
of screen flashing (in and out of cmd mode, I think) but still no change in
behavior.

Finally went into safe mode, removed IE8, and rebooted. Lo and behold, it
restored IE7 for me which is working very nicely.

Any particular reason I should try loading IE8 again?

> 1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
> desktop:
> http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe
>
> 2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the
> taskbar).
>
> 3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility.
> Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.
>
> 4. Do another reset, reboot & test.
>
> thermo102 wrote:
>>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

>> Thought we were onto something, but alas! Same behavior?
>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to
>>> IE7
>>> & IE8 in all OSS]
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

>> Reset to default settings and still same behavior?
>>
>>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed (e.g.,
>>> ZAISS) and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications
>>> (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (e.g., ZA Free)? Were
>>> any of these applications running in the background when you installed,
>>> uninstalled and/or reinstalled IE8?

>> I run the Zone Alarm Internet Suite, but shut it down when installing
>> programs.
>> Is it desirable to shut it down when uninstalling programs? If yes, why?
>>
>>> 4. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>>> machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

>> Memory sort of foggy, but I think I used McAfee a long time ago.
>> Do they have a removal tool to catch any last remnants?
>>
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Leonard Grey

Re: Slow starting ie8
"Any particular reason I should try loading IE8 again?"

I can think of three:
1- improved security
2- more features than IE 7
3- improved web standards compatibility

There are other reasons, but the above was enough for me.

Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

On 6/28/2010 3:16 PM, thermo102 wrote:
> Any particular reason I should try loading IE8 again?

Re: Slow starting ie8
What Leonard said.