IE8 address box steals focus from search box

Stephen Howe

IE8 address box steals focus from search box
Hi

Running latest IE8

I keep finding that when I start IE8, type an expression in the search box in the top right corner, the address box steals focus
So if I type "SQL Server 2008 Client installation", the letters "SQL S" are in the search box and the rest of the letters "erver
2008 Client installation" are now in the address box.

This is deeply annoying.
Anyone seen this and know how it can be fixed?

It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup.
After that, all words are in the search box and the address box dioes not steal focus.

Thanks

Stephen Howe
rob^_^

Re: IE8 address box steals focus from search box
Hi,
"It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup."

What toolbars do you have installed?

Does this happen if you run IE in noAddons mode?

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No Addons)

Another thing to try is

Tools>Manage Addons - Search Providers, select your default Search Provider
and disable search suggestions if it is enabled. Please post back with
details of your Search Provider or your Installed toolbars.

The keyboard shortcuts you can use to navigate the Address bar and search
box are

Alt+A - focus on the Address bar
Alt+E - focus on the Search Box

Regards.

"Stephen Howe" <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Running latest IE8
>
> I keep finding that when I start IE8, type an expression in the search box
> in the top right corner, the address box steals focus
> So if I type "SQL Server 2008 Client installation", the letters "SQL S"
> are in the search box and the rest of the letters "erver
> 2008 Client installation" are now in the address box.
>
> This is deeply annoying.
> Anyone seen this and know how it can be fixed?
>
> It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup.
> After that, all words are in the search box and the address box dioes not
> steal focus.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen Howe

Jeff Strickland

Re: IE8 address box steals focus from search box

"Stephen Howe" <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Running latest IE8
>
> I keep finding that when I start IE8, type an expression in the search box
> in the top right corner, the address box steals focus
> So if I type "SQL Server 2008 Client installation", the letters "SQL S"
> are in the search box and the rest of the letters "erver
> 2008 Client installation" are now in the address box.
>
> This is deeply annoying.
> Anyone seen this and know how it can be fixed?
>
> It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup.
> After that, all words are in the search box and the address box dioes not
> steal focus.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen Howe

You have to wait for the page to fully load before you start your search
string.

I find this to be very annoying too.

Jeff Strickland

> Hi,
> "It only seems to do this at IE8 startup or new tab startup."
>
> What toolbars do you have installed?
>
> Does this happen if you run IE in noAddons mode?
>
> Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No Addons)
>
> Another thing to try is
>
> Tools>Manage Addons - Search Providers, select your default Search
> Provider and disable search suggestions if it is enabled. Please post back
> with details of your Search Provider or your Installed toolbars.
>
> The keyboard shortcuts you can use to navigate the Address bar and search
> box are
>
> Alt+A - focus on the Address bar
> Alt+E - focus on the Search Box
>
> Regards.

If the cursor is placed in the search box BEFORE the page is finished
entered. It doesn't matter how one puts the focus onto the search box, if
the page is not done loading, the focus will change to the address bar.

Start IE
Immediately put the cursor in the Search Box
Begin inputting the search string.
As you input your search, the focus will be taken off of the Search Box, and
your search string will be entered into the Address Bar. This is a normal
behavior, and the only remedy is to wait for IE to finish loading the Home
Page before entering a search string.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume two things, the OP is using
Yahoo! for his homepage, and he's searching from the Yahoo Search box. He's
not using the search box on the toolbar.

Stephen Howe

Re: IE8 address box steals focus from search box
Thanks Jeff for the response, you have describe the behaviour exactly

>I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume two things, the OP is using
>Yahoo! for his homepage, and he's searching from the Yahoo Search box. He's
>not using the search box on the toolbar.

Nope on both counts. I dont like Yahoo because they do blocking of Pipex, my ISP
Even worse, I cant email my Father because he signed up with BT Internet which does some type of tie in with Yahoo
Yahoo customer support says I must get my ISP to email them to counter the block and at that point I lose interest - too much
hassle.

It is easier to squeeze blood out a stone than get my ISP to talk to Yahoo.

Home Page is about:blank and search provider is Google.
Using about:blank as a command line argument.

Stephen Howe
Robert Aldwinckle

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> You have to wait for the page to fully load before you start your search
> string.
>
> I find this to be very annoying too.

If you have to start typing before waiting for about:Blank to finish
opening you probably have too many add-ons to load.

BTW you could always change your startup to be iexplore.exe -nohome

---

Jeff Strickland

> Thanks Jeff for the response, you have describe the behaviour exactly
>
>>I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume two things, the OP is using
>>Yahoo! for his homepage, and he's searching from the Yahoo Search box.
>>He's
>>not using the search box on the toolbar.

> Nope on both counts. I dont like Yahoo because they do blocking of Pipex,
> my ISP
> Even worse, I cant email my Father because he signed up with BT Internet
> which does some type of tie in with Yahoo
> Yahoo customer support says I must get my ISP to email them to counter the
> block and at that point I lose interest - too much
> hassle.
>
> It is easier to squeeze blood out a stone than get my ISP to talk to
> Yahoo.
>

> Home Page is about:blank and search provider is Google.
> Using about:blank as a command line argument.
>
> Stephen Howe

Well, whatever. You have to wait for IE to load before you can input your
search string, else the focus will change in midstream from the search box
to the address box. This is normal, all be it annoying, behavior.

I've never heard of a Website blocking an ISP. I had an ISP once that
blocked mail delivery from different hosts, such as Hotmail, because the
hosts did nothing to prevent spam artists from plying their trade.I don't
understand why you can't open IE to Yahoo! as one of your homepages (with
Tabbed Browsing, you can have several homepages if you want), and use Yahoo
Mail to create email to send to your Dad. You could have a Yahoo Mail
account, and access that account from ANYWHERE and collect and send e-mail.
You could go to your brother's house and use his computer to get to your
Yahoo Mail account. You could go to the library to get to your account.
Yahoo does not care how you get there, and they don't have any interest in
your ISP, or anybody's ISP for that matter.

You may not be able to use an external e-mail client to check your Yahoo
Mail account through your ISP, that's entirely possible. Having said that, I
use Outlook Express to poll my Yahoo Mail account, and send messages from my
Yahoo Mail account.

I don't understand what issues you have with your ISP and Yahoo. It really
doesn't matter though. You can go into TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS and set the
Homepage to Blank. You don't need Command Line arguments to do this.

Stephen Howe

Re: IE8 address box steals focus from search box
>Well, whatever. You have to wait for IE to load before you can input your
>search string, else the focus will change in midstream from the search box
>to the address box. This is normal, all be it annoying, behavior.
>
>I've never heard of a Website blocking an ISP.

I am not talking about the website. I am talking about Yahoo blocking email.
For some reason, my email address is regarded as a spam address
For email that is common. That is anti-spam measures.
BT Internet use Yahoo antispam services and so I am cut off.
And since I am not on broadband and am very up on malware with a battery of anti-malware measures, I cannot be a zombiebot PC.

Search for Verizon class action suite and you will find Verizon paying to their customers for the bonehead move of blocking
_ALL_ email from Europe, classing it as spam. This pissed off US citizens.

So I hate Yahoo with vengence. They are evil.

And in the case of my Father, some of his clients are the United Nations WorldBank.
Some of their members have just discovered that Yahoo bounces their email as well, so they are pissed off with Yahoo.

> I had an ISP once that
>blocked mail delivery from different hosts, such as Hotmail, because the
>hosts did nothing to prevent spam artists from plying their trade.I don't
>understand why you can't open IE to Yahoo! as one of your homepages (with
>Tabbed Browsing, you can have several homepages if you want), and use Yahoo
>Mail to create email to send to your Dad.

Yeah I can. I can set up a Google Email account. It is the hassle factor.

> You could have a Yahoo Mail
>account, and access that account from ANYWHERE and collect and send e-mail.
>You could go to your brother's house and use his computer to get to your
>Yahoo Mail account. You could go to the library to get to your account.
>Yahoo does not care how you get there, and they don't have any interest in
>your ISP, or anybody's ISP for that matter.

Yup, but it wont be Yahoo. Anyone but Yahoo.

>You may not be able to use an external e-mail client to check your Yahoo
>Mail account through your ISP, that's entirely possible. Having said that, I
>use Outlook Express to poll my Yahoo Mail account, and send messages from my
>Yahoo Mail account.
>
>I don't understand what issues you have with your ISP and Yahoo. It really
>doesn't matter though. You can go into TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS and set the
>Homepage to Blank. You don't need Command Line arguments to do this.

True. But this is at work where Group Policy enforces an internal web page which I hate.
however a ShortCut with command line parameter beats the Group Policy. Freedom!!!!

Thanks

Yuri Nalysis

Re: IE8 address box steals focus from search box

: I am not talking about the website. I am talking about Yahoo blocking
email.
: For some reason, my email address is regarded as a spam address
: For email that is common. That is anti-spam measures.
: BT Internet use Yahoo antispam services and so I am cut off.
: And since I am not on broadband and am very up on malware with a battery
of anti-malware measures, I cannot be a zombiebot PC.
:
Your email being blocked is not an IE issue.

Jeff Strickland

"Yuri Nalysis" <yuri@nalysis.invalid> wrote in message

> : I am not talking about the website. I am talking about Yahoo blocking
> email.
> : For some reason, my email address is regarded as a spam address
> : For email that is common. That is anti-spam measures.
> : BT Internet use Yahoo antispam services and so I am cut off.
> : And since I am not on broadband and am very up on malware with a battery
> of anti-malware measures, I cannot be a zombiebot PC.
> :
> Your email being blocked is not an IE issue.

He knows that. You got into the middle of a discussion about something else
that is an IE issue -- an issue with no resolution, but the tangental
complaints were being discusssed.