Problems with codepages in IE8

jen

Problems with codepages in IE8
I have two pages in Internet Explorer 7 both look fine but in IE 8 look
wrong. One of the pages looks as if it is moved to far to the right. The
only way I can solve this problem is to manually switch from the codepage
"Western European (Windows) to Unicode (UTF-8) and vice versa. IE is
configured to switch codepage automatically, but this function is apparently
not working.

What can I do to get this to work?

Tech. spec. IE8 installed on a Winx XP PRO SP3 MUI with Danish languagepack.'

Thanks in advance
Dan

Re: Problems with codepages in IE8

"jen" <jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have two pages in Internet Explorer 7 both look fine but in IE 8 look
> wrong. One of the pages looks as if it is moved to far to the right. The
> only way I can solve this problem is to manually switch from the codepage
> "Western European (Windows) to Unicode (UTF-8) and vice versa. IE is
> configured to switch codepage automatically, but this function is
> apparently
> not working.
>
> What can I do to get this to work?
>
> Tech. spec. IE8 installed on a Winx XP PRO SP3 MUI with Danish
> languagepack.'
>
> Thanks in advance

What if you enable Compability View in IE8 for this page? If that corrects
it, your page needs to be rewritten to W3C standards.

--
Dan

Re: Problems with codepages in IE8
Developer-specific resources include:

MSDN IE Development Forum (post such questions here instead)
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...opment/threads

Tip: When posting in Developer forums, always include a link to your web
site or test pages in your first post.

IE Developer Center
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx

Learn IE8
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740473.aspx

HTML and DHTML Overviews and Tutorials
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537623.aspx and

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx

Expression Web SuperPreview for Internet Explorer (free, stand-alone visual
debugging tool for IE6, IE7, and IE8)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-dccff3fae677

Expression Web SuperPreview Release Notes
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/...easeNotes.aspx

Validators:
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

jen wrote:
> I have two pages in Internet Explorer 7 both look fine but in IE 8 look
> wrong. One of the pages looks as if it is moved to far to the right. The
> only way I can solve this problem is to manually switch from the codepage
> "Western European (Windows) to Unicode (UTF-8) and vice versa. IE is
> configured to switch codepage automatically, but this function is
> apparently
> not working.
>
> What can I do to get this to work?
>
> Tech. spec. IE8 installed on a Winx XP PRO SP3 MUI with Danish
> languagepack.'
>
> Thanks in advance

jen

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Developer-specific resources include:
>
> MSDN IE Development Forum (post such questions here instead)
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...opment/threads
>
> Tip: When posting in Developer forums, always include a link to your web
> site or test pages in your first post.

I would like to do so - but the problem is that it is two intranet pages
wich can't bee seen on the Internet. So I guees a link wouldn't be worth a
lot.

Never the less it seems to be a problem related to the GPO's used to control
the IE. I'll have to find the specific GPO controlling the codepage, once
this is found I think we are able to produce a reg.hack or similar to solve
the problem,

Thanks for your input.

/Jacob