IE8 slow on initial load to connect and display home page.

Big_Al

IE8 slow on initial load to connect and display home page.
Sometime in the past few weeks/months I've developed this issue. I
don't use IE much so its not hard to understand me not seeing it for a
while, so I can't restore or use a backup, I've done too much.

I'm on Windows XP SP3 latest updates, and I've run my virus,
Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware, all full scans. Chkdsk too.

The system really does seems to work fine. However I ran across a
hint on a forum about issues like this and they supplied a file called
deldomains.inf that you could load. It basically deleted a few
registry entries and restored them as empty folders again, thus removing
any entries. Below is the contents of the file.

The question I have is, if anyone can make better heads or tails, is why
does it work. And yes, I've looked at these folders in regedit when I
am having the issue and there is nothing there. So I'm removing empty
folders and putting them back as empty. But the problem returns on
the 2nd run of IE. I'm just baffled. I've search and searched
for anywhere or anything that might be doing something to me. I just
can't make heads or tails of it. My hope is someone else might.

Thanks: And here is the script:

; DelDomains.inf © 11-28-04 | Revised 01-15-06
; Created by: Mike Burgess Microsoft MVP
; http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/
;
; Warning: Deletes all entries in the Restricted & Trusted Zone list
; http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm
;
; Revised to include the EscDomains key
;
; To execute this file: in Explorer - right-click (this file)
; Select Install from the Menu.
; Note: you will not see any onscreen action.

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg=DelTemps
AddReg=AddTemps

[DelTemps]
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains"

; Recreate the keys to avoid a restart

[AddTemps]
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\EscDomains"

Re: IE8 slow on initial load to connect and display home page.
1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?

it)?

Big_Al wrote:
> Sometime in the past few weeks/months I've developed this issue. I
> don't use IE much so its not hard to understand me not seeing it for a
> while, so I can't restore or use a backup, I've done too much.
>
> I'm on Windows XP SP3 latest updates, and I've run my virus,
> Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware, all full scans. Chkdsk too.
>
> The system really does seems to work fine. However I ran across a
> hint on a forum about issues like this and they supplied a file called
> deldomains.inf that you could load. It basically deleted a few
> registry entries and restored them as empty folders again, thus removing
> any entries. Below is the contents of the file.
>
> The question I have is, if anyone can make better heads or tails, is why
> does it work. And yes, I've looked at these folders in regedit when I
> am having the issue and there is nothing there. So I'm removing empty
> folders and putting them back as empty. But the problem returns on
> the 2nd run of IE. I'm just baffled. I've search and searched
> for anywhere or anything that might be doing something to me. I just
> can't make heads or tails of it. My hope is someone else might.

<SNIP>

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 slow on initial load to connect and display home page.
Please don't post dangerous advice to the newsgroups.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Big_Al

Leonard Grey said this on 6/21/2010 4:46 PM:
> Please don't post dangerous advice to the newsgroups.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Big_Al wrote:

Sorry, did not mean it to be dangerous, it was meant to be informative
to the readers that this is what I am doing but its not solving my
problem. I guess an unwritten advisement that its not a program to try
therefore.

Big_Al

Big_Al said this on 6/21/2010 4:37 PM:
> The question I have is, if anyone can make better heads or tails, is why
> does it work. And yes, I've looked at these folders in regedit when I
> am having the issue and there is nothing there. So I'm removing empty
> folders and putting them back as empty. But the problem returns on
> the 2nd run of IE. I'm just baffled. I've search and searched
> for anywhere or anything that might be doing something to me. I just
> can't make heads or tails of it. My hope is someone else might.

The above should have been "why does it work, and then not work and what
can be done to make it or something else permanent?" I think the
above was poorly written. Sorry, I'm looking for an answer and nobody
should take this as advice since its not working and I only did it in
desperation.
Big_Al

PA Bear [MS MVP] said this on 6/21/2010 4:43 PM:
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

> Explorer (No add-ons).

No change in behavior with no-addons.

> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to
> IE7 & IE8 in all OSS]

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

I've reset and no change. (other than I see the change in settings.)

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
> your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?

AVG without link scanner, and up to date. Manually run Super Anti
Spyware and Malware Bytes as needed (weekly at worst). Zone Alarm
free version.
No, IE8 was installed from the windows update months if not years after
SP3. The system was loaded in April 2008 as a fresh install with SP3
slipstreamed and IE7. I waited till about 4-5 months ago to upgrade
to IE8, no issues till recently. As a matter of fact I thought it
might have been the KB update last Tuesday for that massive security
update and I took the effort to uninstall it to see if that was the
case. No luck. Its back in now.

> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
> this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?

No, my copy of XP MCE does not come with any add on software. I'm
kinda lucky about that, I'm not sure why Dell did not supply me with a
CD with junk on it, but I'm glad. I do have all that "addon sofware"
on a separate CD but I know its trialware and useless.

Re: IE8 slow on initial load to connect and display home page.
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you & good luck.

Big_Al wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] said this on 6/21/2010 4:43 PM:
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>

> No change in behavior with no-addons.
>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to
>> IE7 & IE8 in all OSS]

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

> I've reset and no change. (other than I see the change in settings.)
>>

>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
>> your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?
>>

> AVG without link scanner, and up to date. Manually run Super Anti
> Spyware and Malware Bytes as needed (weekly at worst). Zone Alarm
> free version.
> No, IE8 was installed from the windows update months if not years after
> SP3. The system was loaded in April 2008 as a fresh install with SP3
> slipstreamed and IE7. I waited till about 4-5 months ago to upgrade
> to IE8, no issues till recently. As a matter of fact I thought it
> might have been the KB update last Tuesday for that massive security
> update and I took the effort to uninstall it to see if that was the
> case. No luck. Its back in now.
>

>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
>> this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>> bought it)?

> No, my copy of XP MCE does not come with any add on software. I'm
> kinda lucky about that, I'm not sure why Dell did not supply me with a
> CD with junk on it, but I'm glad. I do have all that "addon sofware"
> on a separate CD but I know its trialware and useless.

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 slow on initial load to connect and display home page.
Hi,
What's the homepage?
Does another homepage or a blank page load faster?
-
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau said this on 6/21/2010 6:14 PM:
> Hi,
> What's the homepage?
> Does another homepage or a blank page load faster?
> -
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Big_Al"<BigAl@name.invalid> wrote in message
>> Sometime in the past few weeks/months I've developed this issue. I
>> don't use IE much so its not hard to understand me not seeing it for a
>> while, so I can't restore or use a backup, I've done too much.
>>
>> I'm on Windows XP SP3 latest updates, and I've run my virus,
>> Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware, all full scans. Chkdsk too.
>>
>> The system really does seems to work fine. However I ran across a
>> hint on a forum about issues like this and they supplied a file called
>> deldomains.inf that you could load. It basically deleted a few
>> registry entries and restored them as empty folders again, thus removing
>> any entries. Below is the contents of the file.
>>
>> The question I have is, if anyone can make better heads or tails, is why
>> does it work. And yes, I've looked at these folders in regedit when I
>> am having the issue and there is nothing there. So I'm removing empty
>> folders and putting them back as empty. But the problem returns on
>> the 2nd run of IE. I'm just baffled. I've search and searched
>> for anywhere or anything that might be doing something to me. I just
>> can't make heads or tails of it. My hope is someone else might.
>>

>> Thanks: And here is the script:
>>
>> ; DelDomains.inf © 11-28-04 | Revised 01-15-06
>> ; Created by: Mike Burgess Microsoft MVP
>> ; http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/
>> ;
>> ; Warning: Deletes all entries in the Restricted& Trusted Zone list
>> ; http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm
>> ;
>> ; Revised to include the EscDomains key
>> ;
>> ; To execute this file: in Explorer - right-click (this file)
>> ; Select Install from the Menu.
>> ; Note: you will not see any onscreen action.
>>
>> [version]
>> signature="$CHICAGO$"
>> <snip>

The home page or blank makes no change. Being my personal home page I
think you can understand not giving it out. I did try google and that
did no good either.
rob^_^

Re: IE8 slow on initial load to connect and display home page.
Tools>Internet Options, Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

It is usual to have your online mail providers and or your Bank web sites in
the Trusted Zone.

Regards.