antivirus - realtime necessary?

jj

antivirus - realtime necessary?
I've recently uninstalled Norton Antivirus as I felt it was slowing down my
system. Insead, I use Malware Bytes, Ad-Aware and Spybot but not in realtime,
only once a week to scan my system. Is this sufficient or should I be using
an antivirus program in realtime to properly protect my system. Which one? I
use the Windows Firewall as I'm running XP SP3 and IE7 (maybe 8).
--
jj
Helroy

Re: antivirus - realtime necessary?

"jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recently uninstalled Norton Antivirus as I felt it was slowing down
> my
> system. Insead, I use Malware Bytes, Ad-Aware and Spybot but not in
> realtime,
> only once a week to scan my system. Is this sufficient or should I be
> using
> an antivirus program in realtime to properly protect my system. Which one?
> use the Windows Firewall as I'm running XP SP3 and IE7 (maybe 8).
> --
> jj

Hi,
Microsoft Security essentials is about all you need and works like a charm.
I find no slowdown when running in real-time.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

--
Hëlröy

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(" )_(" )
=====

Bruce Hagen

Re: antivirus - realtime necessary?

"jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recently uninstalled Norton Antivirus as I felt it was slowing down
> my
> system. Insead, I use Malware Bytes, Ad-Aware and Spybot but not in
> realtime,
> only once a week to scan my system. Is this sufficient or should I be
> using
> an antivirus program in realtime to properly protect my system. Which
> one? I
> use the Windows Firewall as I'm running XP SP3 and IE7 (maybe 8).
> --
> jj

What Helroy said, plus get this tool to remove all the Norton crap off
your machine.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

Jeff Strickland

Re: antivirus - realtime necessary?

"jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recently uninstalled Norton Antivirus as I felt it was slowing down
> my
> system. Insead, I use Malware Bytes, Ad-Aware and Spybot but not in
> realtime,
> only once a week to scan my system. Is this sufficient or should I be
> using
> an antivirus program in realtime to properly protect my system. Which one?
> use the Windows Firewall as I'm running XP SP3 and IE7 (maybe 8).
> --
> jj

Your need for real-time protection depends entirely on the places you visit
on the Web. If you open Yahoo! News and read the articles, then you probably
don't need real-time protection. But, if you do research that takes you to
pages and places that are unknown, then you should have as much real-time
protection as you can get.

Anit-virus software is like a condom. If you know who you are with you
probably don't need one, but if you go to the bar and bring a girl home, you
should use as many as they put in the box.

You said you uninstalled Norton. My experience is that Norton is a virus all
by itself and it resists removal. Somebody posted a link to a Removal Tool.
I don't know much about it, but you should get it and use it. I had so much
trouble getting rid of Norton on my machines that I had to physically go
into the Registry and delete everything that said NORTON or SYMANTEC. Maybe
the Removal Tool will make it easier to get rid of Norton.

Anthony Buckland

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've recently uninstalled Norton Antivirus as I felt it was slowing down
>> my
>> system. Insead, I use Malware Bytes, Ad-Aware and Spybot but not in
>> realtime,
>> only once a week to scan my system. Is this sufficient or should I be
>> using
>> an antivirus program in realtime to properly protect my system. Which
>> one? I
>> use the Windows Firewall as I'm running XP SP3 and IE7 (maybe 8).
>> --
>> jj

> Your need for real-time protection depends entirely on the places you
> visit on the Web. If you open Yahoo! News and read the articles, then you
> probably don't need real-time protection. But, if you do research that
> takes you to pages and places that are unknown, then you should have as
> much real-time protection as you can get.
>
> Anit-virus software is like a condom. If you know who you are with you
> probably don't need one, but if you go to the bar and bring a girl home,
> you should use as many as they put in the box.
>
> You said you uninstalled Norton. My experience is that Norton is a virus
> all by itself and it resists removal. Somebody posted a link to a Removal
> Tool. I don't know much about it, but you should get it and use it. I had
> so much trouble getting rid of Norton on my machines that I had to
> physically go into the Registry and delete everything that said NORTON or
> SYMANTEC. Maybe the Removal Tool will make it easier to get rid of Norton.

IMHO, the Removal Tool is the genuine article. I once
used it, and AFAIK I really removed everything. Whether
it still works as well, or for everybody, I don't know.
The other AV empire I once tried to remove, with less
inclusive success, was McAfee, necessitating digging out
things one by one to complete the process. I wouldn't
touch either Norton or McAfee again with a 3m pole, and
now use Zone Alarm. Everybody seems to have their own
experiences and resulting prejudices.

I'd no more compute without active anti-virus than I would
live in a bandit-infested area without a gun, a heavy lock,
thick walls and the means of calling help. Unfortunately,
the whole planet seems to be, from a computing point of
view, such an area.

Jeff Strickland

"Anthony Buckland" <anthonybucklandnospam@telus.net> wrote in message
news:b7udnZWJzZxbroPRnZ2dnUVZ_oidnZ2d@giganews.com ...

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I've recently uninstalled Norton Antivirus as I felt it was slowing down
>>> my
>>> system. Insead, I use Malware Bytes, Ad-Aware and Spybot but not in
>>> realtime,
>>> only once a week to scan my system. Is this sufficient or should I be
>>> using
>>> an antivirus program in realtime to properly protect my system. Which
>>> one? I
>>> use the Windows Firewall as I'm running XP SP3 and IE7 (maybe 8).
>>> --
>>> jj

>> Your need for real-time protection depends entirely on the places you
>> visit on the Web. If you open Yahoo! News and read the articles, then you
>> probably don't need real-time protection. But, if you do research that
>> takes you to pages and places that are unknown, then you should have as
>> much real-time protection as you can get.
>>
>> Anit-virus software is like a condom. If you know who you are with you
>> probably don't need one, but if you go to the bar and bring a girl home,
>> you should use as many as they put in the box.
>>
>> You said you uninstalled Norton. My experience is that Norton is a virus
>> all by itself and it resists removal. Somebody posted a link to a Removal
>> Tool. I don't know much about it, but you should get it and use it. I had
>> so much trouble getting rid of Norton on my machines that I had to
>> physically go into the Registry and delete everything that said NORTON or
>> SYMANTEC. Maybe the Removal Tool will make it easier to get rid of
>> Norton.

> IMHO, the Removal Tool is the genuine article. I once
> used it, and AFAIK I really removed everything. Whether
> it still works as well, or for everybody, I don't know.
> The other AV empire I once tried to remove, with less
> inclusive success, was McAfee, necessitating digging out
> things one by one to complete the process. I wouldn't
> touch either Norton or McAfee again with a 3m pole, and
> now use Zone Alarm. Everybody seems to have their own
> experiences and resulting prejudices.
>
> I'd no more compute without active anti-virus than I would
> live in a bandit-infested area without a gun, a heavy lock,
> thick walls and the means of calling help. Unfortunately,
> the whole planet seems to be, from a computing point of
> view, such an area.

Having Norton or McAffee protect your from viruses (virii?) is like having
the Bloods protect you from the Crips.