IE8 -- how do enable a Quick Reponse forum button?

JVRudnick

IE8 -- how do enable a Quick Reponse forum button?
Hello all...
XPPro/SP3/IE8 here....and I've an issue with a forum I spend a lot of time
on. Go to seochat.com - go to the forums, drill down on any thread and
note...that down at the bottom of the page is a Quick Reponse text area. To
enable same, all you need to do is to click the matching Quick Reponse Icon
on any of the posts in that thread, which then allows you to type in that box.

Used to work perfectly in IE7 last week, till I upgraded...now when I click
on that Quick Response Icon, it actually clears that TAB and then loads the
forums Advanced Response page...ie the Quick Response button does not seem to
work in IE8 - for me.

Can anyone point out where (ift there is one) the setting is to allow this
to work once again?

Jim
SC Tom

Re: IE8 -- how do enable a Quick Reponse forum button?

"JVRudnick" <JVRudnick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all...
> XPPro/SP3/IE8 here....and I've an issue with a forum I spend a lot of time
> on. Go to seochat.com - go to the forums, drill down on any thread and
> note...that down at the bottom of the page is a Quick Reponse text area.
> enable same, all you need to do is to click the matching Quick Reponse
> Icon
> on any of the posts in that thread, which then allows you to type in that
> box.
>
> Used to work perfectly in IE7 last week, till I upgraded...now when I
> click
> on that Quick Response Icon, it actually clears that TAB and then loads
> the
> forums Advanced Response page...ie the Quick Response button does not seem
> work in IE8 - for me.
>
> Can anyone point out where (ift there is one) the setting is to allow this
> to work once again?
>
> Jim

Make sure cookies are enabled for that site. Go to Tools, Internet Options,
Privacy, Sites. Look through the list to see if the site is listed. If it
is, set it to Always Allow. If it's not listed, add it to the list and set
to Always Allow.
--
SC Tom

Dan

Re: IE8 -- how do enable a Quick Reponse forum button?

"JVRudnick" <JVRudnick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all...
> XPPro/SP3/IE8 here....and I've an issue with a forum I spend a lot of time
> on. Go to seochat.com - go to the forums, drill down on any thread and
> note...that down at the bottom of the page is a Quick Reponse text area.
> enable same, all you need to do is to click the matching Quick Reponse
> Icon
> on any of the posts in that thread, which then allows you to type in that
> box.
>
> Used to work perfectly in IE7 last week, till I upgraded...now when I
> click
> on that Quick Response Icon, it actually clears that TAB and then loads
> the
> forums Advanced Response page...ie the Quick Response button does not seem
> work in IE8 - for me.
>
> Can anyone point out where (ift there is one) the setting is to allow this
> to work once again?
>
> Jim

Without seeing the forum in question (hint, a URL would help here), I would
guess that the site coding is written to assume IE7 is being used. If you
click the Compatibility View button in IE8 (the broken page to the right of
the address bar when you're viewing the page), does this fix it? If so, just
leave IE set like that - the scripting used on the site isn't checking for
IE8 and is delivering IE7 specific coding that breaks with IE8.

--
Dan

JVRudnick

Re: IE8 -- how do enable a Quick Reponse forum button?
Hi Dan...

Um...second line of my post says "go to seochat.com" -- did ya miss that bud?

Anyways, yes, that was it. the compatibility view button fixed the link to
now open up the normal Quick Response field...

Course, that leads me to wonder exactly how a simple enable button not a
link could be scripting to work in IE7 only....

Anyways, thanks Dan....nice catch!

:-)

Jim
Dan

> Hi Dan...
>
> Um...second line of my post says "go to seochat.com" -- did ya miss that
> bud?

Yes I did. It would have been clearer if you'd put the URL in fully with the
http:// protocol prefix

Ye gads, the home page is a mess in IE8 standards mode.

I can't test the quick response code without signing up, and I'm certainly
not giving my personal details to a site about SEO ...

> Anyways, yes, that was it. the compatibility view button fixed the link to
> now open up the normal Quick Response field...
>
> Course, that leads me to wonder exactly how a simple enable button not a
> link could be scripting to work in IE7 only....

Quite a few of these forum systems have some odd code in them. For instance,
phpBB (I run a few sites using the latest version of this) add a meta tag to
force IE8 into IE7 mode because the caret positioning script for the form
fields that allow you to enter the content of posts is written with IE7
specific handling and causes IE8 to auto scroll the field back to the start;
rather than fixing the code (which would have required them to treat IE8
just like Mozilla) they used a "band aid" to let it carry on working the way
it was before.

There will be code behind that "quick response" button, I'm guessing it uses
a layer over the existing HTML and if that doesn't work falls back to the
default reply handling which opens a new page with the form. The code won't
understand that IE8 is standards based and so delivers code written for IE7
with it's quirks and fails with IE8. The compatibility view causes IE8 to
switch to the IE7 handler (which includes falling back to the IE7 script
engine) and so it works again. The site owners either need to change their
code to handle IE8, or add the UA-Compatible meta tag to force IE8 into IE7
mode, rather than relying on users to realise they have to enable
compatibility mode. I know the vBulletin core code has had updates to
address IE8, so best guess here is that the site is running an older version
or the quick response system is an add-on that hasn't been updated.

--
Dan