Single-clicking _sometimes_ produces double-click in IE8

Mammoth

Single-clicking _sometimes_ produces double-click in IE8
A problem has happened yesterday: when using IE8 (latest update), browser
sometimes takes my normal left-click as double click. Keyword is "sometimes"
- i.e. this isn't some mouse settings problem. For example, I click on some
menu (like "Tools") - it drops down (as is should). I click it again - it
hides. Then I click it again - it shows and hides again in a blink. Or, for a
change, I click when menu is open - it closes and reopens back instantly. In
most cases I have to click like 10 times until I get this effect; on the
other hand, sometimes it goes "stuck", and takes my click as double-click
several times in the row. Likewise, clicking on window upper bar sometimes
makes it maximize/shrink (the way it responds to double-click). Clicking on
"back" button makes browser go 2 pages back, and so forth.

The funny part starts when I click slowly (i.e. press left mouse, hold it,
release). Usually it responds the right way: pressing opens menu, releasing
does nothing. On the other hand, sometimes menu opens when button goes down,
and closes when it goes up. Sometimes it even opens and insta closes when I
hold it, and does nothing when I release it!

This is not a hardware or human problem: it appears using any of 3 mices
connected to at any of 2 computers, happens when either me or my wife clicks
it. Moreover, it never happens when I start Windows from a bootable CD.

The problem never occurs when I just click on icons (single click never
launches an application) or folders (single click never opens them).

It still exists when I restart in safe mode.

I've installed IntelliMouse and checked settings - nothing is wrong, as far
as I can see.

This is not a virus/malware problem, most probably: my computers are behind
a hardware firewall (router), NOD32 is always on and updated, on top of that
I've just checked my comp with DrWeb and AVZ - nothing is found.

Disabling all IE addons didn't help either.

I didn't install any new software lately. However, Adobe Flash Player
ActiveX has updated itself on both our computers up to v.10 (and yes I need
it). This is the only reason I can think of atm...

Windows XP 32, SP3. Core2Quad 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, a lot of free disk space.

Help please! Thanks in advance.
rob^_^

Re: Single-clicking _sometimes_ produces double-click in IE8
Hide the Command Bar and then restart IE8.

IE loads the Command Bar and Tools menu lists when it first starts, but also
reloads the Tools and Help menus when they are clicked. If the Command Bar
is hidden, IE does not have to re-read the last Command bar layout (users
can remove buttons so if they have a help or tools menu conterpart, they
have to be removed from the menu extension also).

IE8 can also get confused if you have other Addons installed. You can
disable your addons and restore IE's default settings from the "Reset"
button on the Advanced tab of Internet Options.

Regards.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hide the Command Bar and then restart IE8.
>
> IE loads the Command Bar and Tools menu lists when it first starts, but also
> reloads the Tools and Help menus when they are clicked. If the Command Bar
> is hidden, IE does not have to re-read the last Command bar layout (users
> can remove buttons so if they have a help or tools menu conterpart, they
> have to be removed from the menu extension also).

Uncheck "View - Toolbars - Command Bar"? It is unchecked (hidden) by default
- I didn't even realize that it exists until now.

> IE8 can also get confused if you have other Addons installed. You can
> disable your addons and restore IE's default settings from the "Reset"
> button on the Advanced tab of Internet Options.

Ehhe, my post was too long to read it? Disabling addons didn't help either,
as I've said before...
Don Varnau

Re: Single-clicking _sometimes_ produces double-click in IE8
Hi,
You've been thorough in troubleshooting this.
Two wild guesses...
1. On each computer, tap the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys briskly a few times.
2. Run the Flash Player uninstaller from
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html then reinstall Flash Player.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Mammoth" <Mammoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A problem has happened yesterday: when using IE8 (latest update), browser
> sometimes takes my normal left-click as double click. Keyword is

"sometimes"
> - i.e. this isn't some mouse settings problem. For example, I click on

some
> menu (like "Tools") - it drops down (as is should). I click it again - it
> hides. Then I click it again - it shows and hides again in a blink. Or,

for a
> change, I click when menu is open - it closes and reopens back instantly.

In
> most cases I have to click like 10 times until I get this effect; on the
> other hand, sometimes it goes "stuck", and takes my click as double-click
> several times in the row. Likewise, clicking on window upper bar sometimes
> makes it maximize/shrink (the way it responds to double-click). Clicking

on
> "back" button makes browser go 2 pages back, and so forth.
>
> The funny part starts when I click slowly (i.e. press left mouse, hold it,
> release). Usually it responds the right way: pressing opens menu,

releasing
> does nothing. On the other hand, sometimes menu opens when button goes

down,
> and closes when it goes up. Sometimes it even opens and insta closes when

> hold it, and does nothing when I release it!
>
> This is not a hardware or human problem: it appears using any of 3 mices
> connected to at any of 2 computers, happens when either me or my wife

clicks
> it. Moreover, it never happens when I start Windows from a bootable CD.
>
> The problem never occurs when I just click on icons (single click never
> launches an application) or folders (single click never opens them).
>
> It still exists when I restart in safe mode.
>
> I've installed IntelliMouse and checked settings - nothing is wrong, as

far
> as I can see.
>
> This is not a virus/malware problem, most probably: my computers are

behind
> a hardware firewall (router), NOD32 is always on and updated, on top of

that
> I've just checked my comp with DrWeb and AVZ - nothing is found.
>
> Disabling all IE addons didn't help either.
>

> I didn't install any new software lately. However, Adobe Flash Player
> ActiveX has updated itself on both our computers up to v.10 (and yes I

need
> it). This is the only reason I can think of atm...
>
> Windows XP 32, SP3. Core2Quad 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, a lot of free disk space.
>
> Help please! Thanks in advance.

Jeff Strickland

Re: Single-clicking _sometimes_ produces double-click in IE8
You have a problem with your mouse. This is not an issue of IE8.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> 1. On each computer, tap the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys briskly a few times.
> 2. Run the Flash Player uninstaller from
> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html then reinstall Flash Player.

Neither helped
1. Two keyboards can't go stuck at the same morning, can they?
2. Problem stays even after uninstalling flash player and rebooting (and of
course it stays after installing it again). Guess it's not about flash player
actually...

Btw, have I got it right: Microsoft tech support doesn't look in these
boards? If so, where should I post to attract their attention?
Jeff Strickland

Re: Single-clicking _sometimes_ produces double-click in IE8

"Mammoth" <Mammoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I've installed IntelliMouse and checked settings - nothing is wrong, as
> far
> as I can see.

Have you loaded the latest IntelliMouse/IntelliPoint drivers?

You have a problem with the mouse, not with IE8.

Jeff Strickland

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> 1. On each computer, tap the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys briskly a few
>> times.
>> 2. Run the Flash Player uninstaller from
>> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html then reinstall Flash Player.

> Neither helped
> 1. Two keyboards can't go stuck at the same morning, can they?
> 2. Problem stays even after uninstalling flash player and rebooting (and
> of
> course it stays after installing it again). Guess it's not about flash
> player
> actually...
>
> Btw, have I got it right: Microsoft tech support doesn't look in these
> boards? If so, where should I post to attract their attention?

You can''t attract their attention.

Mammoth

"Jeff Strickland" wrote:

> You have a problem with your mouse. This is not an issue of IE8.

Sorry dude... you really have to learn to read. I've said it explicitly:
damn crap happens on TWO computers, using THREE mices. And it never happens
when I load Windows from Live CD!
Jeff Strickland

> "Jeff Strickland" wrote:
>
>> You have a problem with your mouse. This is not an issue of IE8.

> Sorry dude... you really have to learn to read. I've said it explicitly:
> damn crap happens on TWO computers, using THREE mices. And it never
> happens
> when I load Windows from Live CD!

I read fine. There is nothing in IE that would make the mouse clicks go
crazy.

You could have a virual enhancement to make the mouse act up, but this would
not be an IE issue either. Sorry.

PS
You should work on your People Skills. There's no need to get testy with me,
or anybody else.