streaming radio time limits?

Jo-Anne

streaming radio time limits?
I've just begun listening to live radio on two of my computers running WinXP
and IE7. The streaming stops (without my wanting it to) at exactly 1:00 a.m.
each night and has to be restarted if I want to continue listening. Tonight
I was listening to radio station WFMT on one computer and BBC Radio 3 on the
other. Both stopped at the same time. (Normally, I listen to only one
station and on only one computer, but I wanted to see if it was a problem
with that station. Apparently not.)

Any idea what causes this? I've tried Google but without success.

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

Dan

Re: streaming radio time limits?

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I've just begun listening to live radio on two of my computers running
> WinXP and IE7. The streaming stops (without my wanting it to) at exactly
> 1:00 a.m. each night and has to be restarted if I want to continue
> listening. Tonight I was listening to radio station WFMT on one computer
> and BBC Radio 3 on the other. Both stopped at the same time. (Normally, I
> listen to only one station and on only one computer, but I wanted to see
> if it was a problem with that station. Apparently not.)
>
> Any idea what causes this? I've tried Google but without success.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

Check you router logs and see if your ISP is forcing a disconnect at 1am.

This isn't an IE issue.

--
Dan

Rob

Dan <news@worldofspack.com> wrote:

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I've just begun listening to live radio on two of my computers running
>> WinXP and IE7. The streaming stops (without my wanting it to) at exactly
>> 1:00 a.m. each night and has to be restarted if I want to continue
>> listening. Tonight I was listening to radio station WFMT on one computer
>> and BBC Radio 3 on the other. Both stopped at the same time. (Normally, I
>> listen to only one station and on only one computer, but I wanted to see
>> if it was a problem with that station. Apparently not.)
>>
>> Any idea what causes this? I've tried Google but without success.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>

> Check you router logs and see if your ISP is forcing a disconnect at 1am.
>
> This isn't an IE issue.

Now that she has gotten a usable response to a question here in the
IE newsgroup, she is trying to ask all possible questions here...
Jeff Strickland

Re: streaming radio time limits?
My guess is that your ISP's servers do a reset to kill unwanted connections.

This is perhaps a wrong guess because there certainly would be customers
that have streaming appllications that run for 24 hours, and having a
disruption would be hugely problematic. Back in the olden days, dial-up
connections would reset if the servers wanted to make sure that nobody was
hogging bandwidth with an inactive connection, but with a High Speed
connections, I'm not sure that this is necessary, much less desireable.

I don't think it's the stations that are doing this to you though. If you're
listening to iTunes Radio, for example, then maybe iTunes is doing it, but I
don't believe the stations themselves are doing it. I think the service or
your ISP is responsible.

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I've just begun listening to live radio on two of my computers running
> WinXP and IE7. The streaming stops (without my wanting it to) at exactly
> 1:00 a.m. each night and has to be restarted if I want to continue
> listening. Tonight I was listening to radio station WFMT on one computer
> and BBC Radio 3 on the other. Both stopped at the same time. (Normally, I
> listen to only one station and on only one computer, but I wanted to see
> if it was a problem with that station. Apparently not.)
>
> Any idea what causes this? I've tried Google but without success.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I've just begun listening to live radio on two of my computers running
>> WinXP and IE7. The streaming stops (without my wanting it to) at exactly
>> 1:00 a.m. each night and has to be restarted if I want to continue
>> listening. Tonight I was listening to radio station WFMT on one computer
>> and BBC Radio 3 on the other. Both stopped at the same time. (Normally, I
>> listen to only one station and on only one computer, but I wanted to see
>> if it was a problem with that station. Apparently not.)
>>
>> Any idea what causes this? I've tried Google but without success.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>

> Check you router logs and see if your ISP is forcing a disconnect at 1am.
>
> This isn't an IE issue.
>
> --
> Dan

Thank you, Dan! With the information you provided, I decided to call my ISP.
Turns out that 1:00 a.m. is the time the ISP authenticates my account. In
the process, the internet connection drops for 1 second. Apparently, that's
all it takes to stop live streaming and need to start it again. The support
guy said I could pick another time, unplug my router and modem and plug them
back in, and the authentication would be done at that time in the future.

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

"Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
> Dan <news@worldofspack.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> I've just begun listening to live radio on two of my computers running
>>> WinXP and IE7. The streaming stops (without my wanting it to) at exactly
>>> 1:00 a.m. each night and has to be restarted if I want to continue
>>> listening. Tonight I was listening to radio station WFMT on one computer
>>> and BBC Radio 3 on the other. Both stopped at the same time. (Normally,
>>> listen to only one station and on only one computer, but I wanted to see
>>> if it was a problem with that station. Apparently not.)
>>>
>>> Any idea what causes this? I've tried Google but without success.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne
>>>

>> Check you router logs and see if your ISP is forcing a disconnect at 1am.
>>
>> This isn't an IE issue.

> Now that she has gotten a usable response to a question here in the
> IE newsgroup, she is trying to ask all possible questions here...

Where would you ask such a question? Or is it the question itself that you
don't like?

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: streaming radio time limits?
Thank you, Jeff! As I mentioned to Dan, it does turn out to be an ISP
issue--its authentication process. I suppose none of this ISP's customers
have 24-hour streaming applications, or perhaps they've found workarounds.

Jo-Anne

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My guess is that your ISP's servers do a reset to kill unwanted
> connections.
>
> This is perhaps a wrong guess because there certainly would be customers
> that have streaming appllications that run for 24 hours, and having a
> disruption would be hugely problematic. Back in the olden days, dial-up
> connections would reset if the servers wanted to make sure that nobody was
> hogging bandwidth with an inactive connection, but with a High Speed
> connections, I'm not sure that this is necessary, much less desireable.
>
> I don't think it's the stations that are doing this to you though. If
> you're listening to iTunes Radio, for example, then maybe iTunes is doing
> it, but I don't believe the stations themselves are doing it. I think the
> service or your ISP is responsible.
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I've just begun listening to live radio on two of my computers running
>> WinXP and IE7. The streaming stops (without my wanting it to) at exactly
>> 1:00 a.m. each night and has to be restarted if I want to continue
>> listening. Tonight I was listening to radio station WFMT on one computer
>> and BBC Radio 3 on the other. Both stopped at the same time. (Normally, I
>> listen to only one station and on only one computer, but I wanted to see
>> if it was a problem with that station. Apparently not.)
>>
>> Any idea what causes this? I've tried Google but without success.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

Rob

Re: streaming radio time limits?
Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote:

> "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
>> Dan <news@worldofspack.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> Check you router logs and see if your ISP is forcing a disconnect at 1am.
>>>
>>> This isn't an IE issue.

>> Now that she has gotten a usable response to a question here in the
>> IE newsgroup, she is trying to ask all possible questions here...

> Where would you ask such a question? Or is it the question itself that you
> don't like?

No, there is nothing wrong with the question but this group is about
Microsoft Internet Explorer, not about radio streaming or hiccups in
internet provider access connections. Nor is it about viewing television
on your PC, to name another question that you asked here.

Don't say "but I view those services in Microsoft Internet Explorer".
When that would be a criterion, this would be the central place for
all possible questions about the world wide web. That just doesn't fit.
Jo-Anne

> Jo-Anne <Jo-Anne@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>> "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message

>>> Now that she has gotten a usable response to a question here in the
>>> IE newsgroup, she is trying to ask all possible questions here...

>> Where would you ask such a question? Or is it the question itself that
>> you
>> don't like?

> No, there is nothing wrong with the question but this group is about
> Microsoft Internet Explorer, not about radio streaming or hiccups in
> internet provider access connections. Nor is it about viewing television
> on your PC, to name another question that you asked here.
>
> Don't say "but I view those services in Microsoft Internet Explorer".
> When that would be a criterion, this would be the central place for
> all possible questions about the world wide web. That just doesn't fit.

Thank you for the information, Rob. I'll try to be more careful about where
I post.

Jo-Anne