IE6 hiding on my Computer

Bob Fay

IE6 hiding on my Computer
I have installed IE8 and it seems to work properly. After creating a
shortcut for a page, using the shortcut causes a IE6 browser to open before
the IE8 browser opens with the requested page. This IE6 browser is not
functional. I identified it by removing IE8. The IE6 browser then became
functional. I cannot find IE6 to remove it from my system. I am running XP.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Bob

Re: IE6 hiding on my Computer
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP?

it)?

Bob Fay wrote:
> I have installed IE8 and it seems to work properly. After creating a
> shortcut for a page, using the shortcut causes a IE6 browser to open
> before
> the IE8 browser opens with the requested page. This IE6 browser is not
> functional. I identified it by removing IE8. The IE6 browser then became
> functional. I cannot find IE6 to remove it from my system. I am running
> XP.
> Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> Bob

Bob Fay

Re: IE6 hiding on my Computer

> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

I am running SP3

> Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP?

I do not recall doing this.

> Defender)?

None

> in the background when you installed IE8?

I do not think I have any other fire wall.

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought
> it)?

The only Anti virus is AVG Free.

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Bob Fay wrote:
>> I have installed IE8 and it seems to work properly. After creating a
>> shortcut for a page, using the shortcut causes a IE6 browser to open
>> before
>> the IE8 browser opens with the requested page. This IE6 browser is not
>> functional. I identified it by removing IE8. The IE6 browser then became
>> functional. I cannot find IE6 to remove it from my system. I am running
>> XP.
>> Any ideas are appreciated.
>>
>> Bob

Dan

Re: IE6 hiding on my Computer

"Bob Fay" <rgfay@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have installed IE8 and it seems to work properly. After creating a
> shortcut for a page, using the shortcut causes a IE6 browser to open
> before the IE8 browser opens with the requested page. This IE6 browser is
> not functional. I identified it by removing IE8. The IE6 browser then
> became functional. I cannot find IE6 to remove it from my system. I am
> running XP.
> Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> Bob

Check which application is set to handle .url files - it sounds like for
some reason it has been forced to use the copy of iexplore.exe in the IE6
backup folder, rather than the correct one.

--
Dan

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE6 hiding on my Computer

"Bob Fay" <rgfay@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have installed IE8 and it seems to work properly.

> After creating a shortcut for a page, using the shortcut causes a IE6
> browser to open before the IE8 browser opens with the requested page.

Are you implying that you are seeing two windows when you click on your
"shortcut"?

> This IE6 browser is not functional. I identified it by removing IE8.

A better method would be to use Process Explorer (ProcExp) and its
Crossed-Hairs tool. An alternative would be to use Task Manager's
(right-click) Go To Process command.

> The IE6 browser then became functional. I cannot find IE6 to remove it
> from my system. I am running XP.
> Any ideas are appreciated.

Please clarify exactly what you did to create the "shortcut" and what its
properties are.

Then, assuming that it means creating an Internet Shortcut (aka .URL
file) you could also show us the results of these two commands (entered in
a cmd windows):

assoc .URL
and
ftype InternetShortcut

E.g. if the latter still references shdocvw.dll (instead of ieframe.dll)
you could have an explanation for your symptom.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: IE6 hiding on my Computer
When did you install AVG Free?

What anti-virus application was installed before you installed AVG and was
your subscription still current?

Was AVG running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?

Are you absolutely certain that a Norton or McAfee free trial didn't come
preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you
never used or Activated it.)