IE8 privacy question

Lexus50

IE8 privacy question
I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
question that remains unanswered.

In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed websites
or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu somewhere.

1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?

In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from happening??

Thanks.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 privacy question
/Every/ web browser has the ability to show you a list of previously
visited websites and take you to any previously visited website on
request. This is known as the browser's 'History' feature. Every browser
also has the ability to erase the list of previously visited websites.

You might be referring to a feature of virtually every modern browser -
including IE 8 - that makes it possible to restore tabs that were open
if your browser crashes. Every browser that offers this feature also
allows you to turn the feature off.

'In-Private' browsing in IE 8 does not record internet History (or TIF
or cookies). However, your browsing history is still maintained by your
ISP, even with 'In-Private' browsing enabled.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Lexus50 wrote:
> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> question that remains unanswered.
>
> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed websites
> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu somewhere.
>
> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>
> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from happening??
>
> Thanks.

Re: IE8 privacy question
Selected references include:

IE8 FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...pport/faq.aspx

IE8 Tour
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx

IE8 Videos
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...er/videos.aspx (Silverlight)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...os&view=videos
• Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzlJFx7YaE
• Security Features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqcEEBogj4
• Easier Browsing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStCIkPUrhM
• Compatibility View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSs1ulZKgCA
• History of the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsMFyo8DWs4

IE8 Features: Accelerators; Performance; Favorites & History Management;
Instant Search; Web Slices; Automatic Crash Recovery; InPrivate Browsing;
Security; and more. See the 3 tabs (i.e., Faster; Easier; Safer) on this
page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...es/faster.aspx

IE8: Features & Benchmarks (ZDNet)
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630019,00.htm
• Screenshot Tutorial:
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/...9630014,00.htm

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Customization in IE8:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-in-ie8.aspx

IE8 and Reliability
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...liability.aspx

Smart Address Bar: What's new?
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...hat-s-new.aspx

Session Cookies, sessionStorage, and IE8 or “How can I log into two webmail
accounts at the same time?”
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...e-and-ie8.aspx

Lexus50 wrote:
> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> question that remains unanswered.
>
> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
> websites
> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
> somewhere.
>
> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>
> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
> happening??
>
> Thanks.

bryn_ie8team

Re: IE8 privacy question

Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> question that remains unanswered.
>
> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
> websites
> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
> somewhere.
>
> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>
> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
> happening??
>
> Thanks.

Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
for AutoComplete.

There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
History is not selected.

Does that answer your question?

Best,
Bryn

--
bryn_ie8team

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 privacy question
These guys show up from VistaHeads, Win7Heads and let's not forget
"Undisclosed". Sometimes they're the IE8 Team, other times the IE
Outreach team. They usually don't know what they're talking about (if
'they' are really more than one person) and they're definitely not
affiliated with Microsoft.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

bryn_ie8team wrote:
> Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
>> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
>> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
>> question that remains unanswered.
>>
>> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
>> websites
>> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
>> somewhere.
>>
>> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
>> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
>> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
>> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>>
>> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
>> happening??
>>
>> Thanks.

> Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
> a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
> History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
> Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
> for AutoComplete.
>
> There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
> that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
> History is not selected.
>
> Does that answer your question?
>
> Best,
> Bryn

Re: IE8 privacy question
+1

Leonard Grey wrote:
> These guys show up from VistaHeads, Win7Heads and let's not forget
> "Undisclosed". Sometimes they're the IE8 Team, other times the IE
> Outreach team. They usually don't know what they're talking about (if
> 'they' are really more than one person) and they're definitely not
> affiliated with Microsoft.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> bryn_ie8team wrote:
>> Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
>>> I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
>>> I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
>>> question that remains unanswered.
>>>
>>> In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
>>> websites
>>> or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
>>> somewhere.
>>>
>>> 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
>>> 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
>>> 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
>>> 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
>>>
>>> In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
>>> happening??
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
>> a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
>> History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
>> Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
>> for AutoComplete.
>>
>> There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
>> that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
>> History is not selected.
>>
>> Does that answer your question?
>>
>> Best,
>> Bryn

Lexus50

Re: IE8 privacy question
Thanks for input to-date. However, SPECIFICALLY - in IE8, in one of the
dropdown menus (I believe it is on the top right of the IE explorer window
either within Safety or next to), there is a selectable feature that shows
(something to the effect) restore prior browsing sesson or sites or sites
visited. This is a selectable feature from within the IE window.

Since this is a touted feature of IE8, MS does not provide info that I can
find on how to disable, delete, or clear this area. That is what I am
requesting info on.

It may be that this feature derives its info (history?) from the regular
history file and therefore is cleared when someone manually deletes browsing
history, but since I do not yet have IE8 installed, I dont know.

Can someone with IE8 installed locate this item, try clearing by vars means
and report back on how that effects this feature? Also as suggested if there
is a way to turn this off or remove it - where is it?

thanks again.

"bryn_ie8team" wrote:

> Lexus50;154159 Wrote:
> > I am running XP-Pro SP3 and considering upgrading from IE7 to IE8.
> > I have read all the feature and benefit articles from MS, but have one
> > question that remains unanswered.
> >
> > In IE8 there is mention of being able to restore previously viewed
> > websites
> > or something to that effect. I think this is on a drop down menu
> > somewhere.
> >
> > 1) Does In-private viewing prevent this?
> > 2) Does manually deleting your complete browsing history clear this?
> > 3) Is there a registry entry that can prevent this action?
> > 4) Is there a group policy change that can prevent this action?
> >
> > In essence for privacy purposes, how does one prevent this from
> > happening??
> >
> > Thanks.

> Your browsing History will continue to show up under the address bar as
> a part of the IE8's AutoComplete feature. However, you can keep your
> History from being stored in AutoComplete by clicking Tools --> Internet
> Options --> Content Tab (from the tabs across the top) --> and Settings
> for AutoComplete.
>
> There you can manage what shows up in your address bar. To make sure
> that your History is excluded, just make sure that the box next to
> History is not selected.
>
> Does that answer your question?
>
> Best,
> Bryn
>

> --
> bryn_ie8team
>
> .

KCB

Re: IE8 privacy question

"Lexus50" <Lexus50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news2506515-28FE-47AC-B2CD-17005026A11E@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for input to-date. However, SPECIFICALLY - in IE8, in one of the
> dropdown menus (I believe it is on the top right of the IE explorer window
> either within Safety or next to), there is a selectable feature that shows
> (something to the effect) restore prior browsing sesson or sites or sites
> visited. This is a selectable feature from within the IE window.
>
> Since this is a touted feature of IE8, MS does not provide info that I can
> find on how to disable, delete, or clear this area. That is what I am
> requesting info on.
>
> It may be that this feature derives its info (history?) from the regular
> history file and therefore is cleared when someone manually deletes
> browsing
> history, but since I do not yet have IE8 installed, I dont know.
>
> Can someone with IE8 installed locate this item, try clearing by vars
> means
> and report back on how that effects this feature? Also as suggested if
> there
> is a way to turn this off or remove it - where is it?
>
> thanks again.

Here is some info found with a quick Google search. The article explains
how to clear the data, but also explains where it is stored, and how it is
affected by clearing your browser history. I think this is what you're
looking for.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/cl...sing-ccleaner/