Links to jpg's in web pages (Internet Explorer)

Al

Links to jpg's in web pages (Internet Explorer)
Hi there,
I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2 and Internet Explorer 8. I've been asked to
find out how to stop links to JPG's in a web page from opening up in Internet
Explorer.

So for example, I may have a web page open in Internet Explorer which has a
link to http://www.fake-site.com/image.jpg. When I click on the link I want
it to open the JPG in the Windows default application (which I've got set to
Microsoft Office Photo Editor).

Whatever I do, JPG's always open in Internet Explorer.

For links to Word documents (for example), I can stop them opening in IE by
unticking the "Browse in same window" tick box when editing the DOC file type
in Folder Options > File Types. If I do this for JPG or JPEG then the "Browse
in same window" option is greyed out.

It seems to be the same using IE7 and I've tried associating JPG's with
other applications. When I open a file from Windows Explorer it's fine -
opens in the default application, but when clicking on a link from IE the JPG
is displayed in IE.

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know whether this is possible to
change and how...

Thanks in advance!
Al.
Dan

Re: Links to jpg's in web pages (Internet Explorer)

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2 and Internet Explorer 8. I've been asked
> find out how to stop links to JPG's in a web page from opening up in
> Internet
> Explorer.
>
> So for example, I may have a web page open in Internet Explorer which has
> link to http://www.fake-site.com/image.jpg. When I click on the link I
> want
> it to open the JPG in the Windows default application (which I've got set
> Microsoft Office Photo Editor).
>
> Whatever I do, JPG's always open in Internet Explorer.
>
> For links to Word documents (for example), I can stop them opening in IE
> by
> unticking the "Browse in same window" tick box when editing the DOC file
> type
> in Folder Options > File Types. If I do this for JPG or JPEG then the
> "Browse
> in same window" option is greyed out.
>
> It seems to be the same using IE7 and I've tried associating JPG's with
> other applications. When I open a file from Windows Explorer it's fine -
> opens in the default application, but when clicking on a link from IE the
> JPG
> is displayed in IE.
>
> I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know whether this is possible to
> change and how...
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Al.

IE automatically handles certain MIME types that it knows how to render -
text/html, text/xml, image/jpeg, etc. What might work is if you can modify
the web server to send a generic binary MIME type such as
application/octet-stream to stop IE rendering the file automatically, but
you might then run into the MIME sniffing part of IE detecting it's a JPEG
image anyway and so still rendering it; and if you don't have access to the
servers that these images are on then this isn't possible anyway.

Why can't you just right click on the link and choose Save Target As ?

--
Dan

Re: Links to jpg's in web pages (Internet Explorer)
IMHO you should be more concerned with the fact that support for WinXP (x86)
SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers running WinXP (x86) SP2
"will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update" (i.e.,
Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update website will not be
accessible) until SP3 has been installed. Extended Support for WinXP SP3
will continue through 08 April 2014.

• What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean

Al wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2 and Internet Explorer 8. I've been asked
> find out how to stop links to JPG's in a web page from opening up in
> Internet Explorer.
>
> So for example, I may have a web page open in Internet Explorer which has
> link to http://www.fake-site.com/image.jpg. When I click on the link I
> want
> it to open the JPG in the Windows default application (which I've got set
> Microsoft Office Photo Editor).
>
> Whatever I do, JPG's always open in Internet Explorer.
>
> For links to Word documents (for example), I can stop them opening in IE
> by
> unticking the "Browse in same window" tick box when editing the DOC file
> type in Folder Options > File Types. If I do this for JPG or JPEG then the
> "Browse in same window" option is greyed out.
>
> It seems to be the same using IE7 and I've tried associating JPG's with
> other applications. When I open a file from Windows Explorer it's fine -
> opens in the default application, but when clicking on a link from IE the
> JPG is displayed in IE.
>
> I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know whether this is possible to
> change and how...
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Al.

Twayne

Re: Links to jpg's in web pages (Internet Explorer)
In news:eGA$TiWDLHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> typed:
> IMHO you should be more concerned with the fact that
> support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
> computers
> running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software
> updates from Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and
> Windows Update website
> will not be accessible) until SP3 has been installed. Extended Support
> for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.
>
> b" What does it mean if my version of Windows is no
> longer supported?
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean
>

> Al wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2 and Internet Explorer 8.
>> I've been asked to
>> find out how to stop links to JPG's in a web page from
>> opening up in Internet Explorer.
>>
>> So for example, I may have a web page open in Internet
>> Explorer which has a
>> link to http://www.fake-site.com/image.jpg. When I click
>> on the link I want
>> it to open the JPG in the Windows default application
>> (which I've got set to
>> Microsoft Office Photo Editor).
>>
>> Whatever I do, JPG's always open in Internet Explorer.
>>
>> For links to Word documents (for example), I can stop them
>> opening in IE by
>> unticking the "Browse in same window" tick box when
>> editing the DOC file type in Folder Options > File Types.
>> If I do this for JPG or JPEG then the "Browse in same
>> window" option is greyed out. It seems to be the same using IE7 and I've
>> tried
>> associating JPG's with other applications. When I open a
>> file from Windows Explorer it's fine - opens in the
>> default application, but when clicking on a link from IE
>> the JPG is displayed in IE. I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know
>> whether this
>> is possible to change and how...
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Al.

Actually, that's not 100% true. Critical Updates will still go out. I have a
win Server 2000 Pro sitting behind me that still gets the critical updates.
But only critical updates; no others.

HTH,

Twayne`

"Twayne" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In news:eGA$TiWDLHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> typed:
>> IMHO you should be more concerned with the fact that
>> support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
>> computers
>> running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software
>> updates from Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and
>> Windows Update website
>> will not be accessible) until SP3 has been installed. Extended Support
>> for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.
>>
>> b" What does it mean if my version of Windows is no
>> longer supported?
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean
>>

>> Al wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>> I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP2 and Internet Explorer 8.
>>> I've been asked to
>>> find out how to stop links to JPG's in a web page from
>>> opening up in Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> So for example, I may have a web page open in Internet
>>> Explorer which has a
>>> link to http://www.fake-site.com/image.jpg. When I click
>>> on the link I want
>>> it to open the JPG in the Windows default application
>>> (which I've got set to
>>> Microsoft Office Photo Editor).
>>>
>>> Whatever I do, JPG's always open in Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> For links to Word documents (for example), I can stop them
>>> opening in IE by
>>> unticking the "Browse in same window" tick box when
>>> editing the DOC file type in Folder Options > File Types.
>>> If I do this for JPG or JPEG then the "Browse in same
>>> window" option is greyed out. It seems to be the same using IE7 and I've
>>> tried
>>> associating JPG's with other applications. When I open a
>>> file from Windows Explorer it's fine - opens in the
>>> default application, but when clicking on a link from IE
>>> the JPG is displayed in IE. I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know
>>> whether this
>>> is possible to change and how...
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>> Al.

> Actually, that's not 100% true. Critical Updates will still go out. I have
> a win Server 2000 Pro sitting behind me that still gets the critical
> updates. But only critical updates; no others.

That's because MS are still pushing critical updates for Windows 2000 until
the 13th July too. After the 13th July there will be NO updates of any kind
for Windows 2000, or XP SP2 or lower. It clearly states this on the EOL
pages linked from the URL that PA Bear posted. I have plenty of Windows 2000
Pro and Server systems here at work and I've been patching them up to the
latest fixes so I'm not caught out as of the 14th July.

If you're going to state something as fact, at least have the courtesy of
checking your information first to make sure it's right :P

Dan