SP 3 doubts

Roger

SP 3 doubts
Hi all,
Any comments, I run Win pro sp2 on IE 7 in past I have read people having
problems after upgrade to sp3. Is it worth now having ago or remaining with
current setup. If I do go for it, would it be safer from the Win update
site.

Regards Roger

Bruce Hagen

Re: SP 3 doubts

"Roger" <Monkey@Zoo.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Any comments, I run Win pro sp2 on IE 7 in past I have read people
> having problems after upgrade to sp3. Is it worth now having ago or
> remaining with current setup. If I do go for it, would it be safer from
> the Win update site.
>
> Regards Roger

You only read about the few bad installs, not the majority of successful
updates.

First of all, if you stay with SP2, support ends next month and you will
see no more updates. If you install SP3, it is supported until April,
2014.

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 here and Save it.

Before you install, turn off your anti-virus and any anti-spyware programs
such as Windows Defender. If you use a third party firewall, disable it
and turn on the Windows Firewall in the Control Panel for the
installation. Once SP3 is in and working, you can enable the third party
firewall and turn of the Windows Firewall. Do not keep both running.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Re: SP 3 doubts
[Crosspost to WinXP General]

If you want to keep your computer secure, you have less than a month to get
SP3 installed:

Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been installed. Extended
Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

• What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP...SP2 fully patched (after a clean
install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Roger wrote:
> Hi all,
> Any comments, I run Win pro sp2 on IE 7 in past I have read people having
> problems after upgrade to sp3. Is it worth now having ago or remaining
> with
> current setup. If I do go for it, would it be safer from the Win update
> site.

Roger

Re: SP 3 doubts

> [Crosspost to WinXP General]
>
> If you want to keep your computer secure, you have less than a month to
> get SP3 installed:
>
> Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
> computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates
> from Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows
> Update website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been installed.
> Extended Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.
>
> • What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
>
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP...SP2 fully patched (after a clean
> install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Roger wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Any comments, I run Win pro sp2 on IE 7 in past I have read people
>> having
>> problems after upgrade to sp3. Is it worth now having ago or remaining
>> with
>> current setup. If I do go for it, would it be safer from the Win update
>> site.

Thank you all, I will now browse information links. you have quoted (x86)
mine is an old 32bit NTFS file system.

Dan

Re: SP 3 doubts

>> [Crosspost to WinXP General]
>>
>> If you want to keep your computer secure, you have less than a month to
>> get SP3 installed:
>>
>> Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
>> computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software
>> updates from Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and
>> Windows Update website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been
>> installed. Extended Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April
>> 2014.
>>
>> . What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
>>
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP...SP2 fully patched (after a clean
>> install)
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Roger wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Any comments, I run Win pro sp2 on IE 7 in past I have read people
>>> having
>>> problems after upgrade to sp3. Is it worth now having ago or remaining
>>> with
>>> current setup. If I do go for it, would it be safer from the Win update
>>> site.

> Thank you all, I will now browse information links. you have quoted (x86)
> mine is an old 32bit NTFS file system.

x86 means 32-bit ...

--
Dan