Can't access bad certificate site

SteveH

Can't access bad certificate site
Hello

I am trying to access a https:// site. In Safari it always gives me a
certificate error but I can still get to it.

I cannot access it at all from IE 8 and wonder why that might be. What
settings do I need to check, please?

Thanks.

Steve
Dan

Re: Can't access bad certificate site

"SteveH" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am trying to access a https:// site. In Safari it always gives me a
> certificate error but I can still get to it.
>
> I cannot access it at all from IE 8 and wonder why that might be. What
> settings do I need to check, please?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve

Have you changed any settings in IE8? Mine offers me a choice to continue on
a "bad" certificate. What is the URL that is not working for you?

--
Dan

SteveH

Re: Can't access bad certificate site
Hello Dan

Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't think I have changed any settings, but I did have a Trojan
recently which took several days to remove.

The site is: https://exp.ourcp.com:8442/

Thanks

Steve

"Dan" wrote:

> "SteveH" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I am trying to access a https:// site. In Safari it always gives me a
> > certificate error but I can still get to it.
> >
> > I cannot access it at all from IE 8 and wonder why that might be. What
> > settings do I need to check, please?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Steve

> Have you changed any settings in IE8? Mine offers me a choice to continue on
> a "bad" certificate. What is the URL that is not working for you?
>
> --
> Dan
>
> .

Dan

Re: Can't access bad certificate site
Just tried that URL, my IE8 pops up page saying there is a problem with the
certificate. If I click Continue it loads the site, the root cert is not a
default trusted one from IE8 which is normal for a self issued cert.

Have you reset IE at all? Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, button at
the lower right. It will erase all autocomplete entries too though.

Dan

> Hello Dan
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> No, I don't think I have changed any settings, but I did have a Trojan
> recently which took several days to remove.
>
> The site is: https://exp.ourcp.com:8442/
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve
>

> "Dan" wrote:
>

>> "SteveH" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > I am trying to access a https:// site. In Safari it always gives me a
>> > certificate error but I can still get to it.
>> >
>> > I cannot access it at all from IE 8 and wonder why that might be. What
>> > settings do I need to check, please?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Steve

>> Have you changed any settings in IE8? Mine offers me a choice to continue
>> on
>> a "bad" certificate. What is the URL that is not working for you?
>>
>> --
>> Dan
>>
>> .

Re: Can't access bad certificate site
Windows version is...?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
subscription current, and is it working properly now? What anti-spyware

it)?

Why is IE attempting to access the site via Port 8442?

SteveH wrote:
> No, I don't think I have changed any settings, but I did have a Trojan
> recently which took several days to remove.
>
> The site is: XXXX://exp.ourcp.com:8442/
>
>> Have you changed any settings in IE8? Mine offers me a choice to continue
>> on a "bad" certificate. What is the URL that is not working for you?
>>
>>> I am trying to access a https:// site. In Safari it always gives me a
>>> certificate error but I can still get to it.
>>>
>>> I cannot access it at all from IE 8 and wonder why that might be. What
>>> settings do I need to check, please?

Rob

PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is IE attempting to access the site via Port 8442?

Because there is a :8442 in the URL.
Dan

Re: Can't access bad certificate site
It's possible that your trojan removal has broken something in IE. Did you
try the reset?

Also, you might want to check the group policy settings to see if anything
has been changed, for instance:

1.Start the Group Policy tool (GPEdit.msc).
2.Expand the policy structure using the following path: Computer
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet
Explorer\Internet Control Panel.
3.Double-click the Prevent ignoring certificate errors setting.
4.If it's Enabled, then set to Disabled.

This GP setting will, if set to Enabled, stop IE from showing the warning
page, it'll just simply not allow you to access the site.

However, I doubt it's this. Can you give any more details as to what "I
cannot access it from IE" actually means? Do you see any messages at all?
Can you get Fiddler2 and run a trace to see if IE even attempts to access
the URL? It's possible you still have parts of that trojan kicking around,
maybe a proxy that IE is forced to use that prevents accessing a
non-standard SSL port to prevent circumvention.

Dan

"SteveH" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Dan
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> No, I don't think I have changed any settings, but I did have a Trojan
> recently which took several days to remove.
>
> The site is: https://exp.ourcp.com:8442/
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve
>

> "Dan" wrote:
>

>> "SteveH" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > I am trying to access a https:// site. In Safari it always gives me a
>> > certificate error but I can still get to it.
>> >
>> > I cannot access it at all from IE 8 and wonder why that might be. What
>> > settings do I need to check, please?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Steve

>> Have you changed any settings in IE8? Mine offers me a choice to continue
>> on
>> a "bad" certificate. What is the URL that is not working for you?
>>
>> --
>> Dan
>>
>> .

SteveH

Re: Can't access bad certificate site
Hello PA Bear

Using XP Pro. I don't think Norton/McAfee has been installed; Sophos has and
now I have Avast. I use an windows firewall only. All updates are current.
When that site loads successfully, it shows me the log-on page to a server.

Steve

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows version is...?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> subscription current, and is it working properly now? What anti-spyware

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>
> Why is IE attempting to access the site via Port 8442?
>

> SteveH wrote:
> > No, I don't think I have changed any settings, but I did have a Trojan
> > recently which took several days to remove.
> >
> > The site is: XXXX://exp.ourcp.com:8442/
> >
> >> Have you changed any settings in IE8? Mine offers me a choice to continue
> >> on a "bad" certificate. What is the URL that is not working for you?

> .

SteveH

Re: Can't access bad certificate site
Hello Dan

I have reset the browser, but that didn't work. That is what I get:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

When I click 'Diagnose Connection problems', a dialogue box tells me that
Windows did not detect any problems with the connection. And in the log:

Last diagnostic run time: 06/16/10 09:37:38 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.

I have also looked at Group Policy - it is not configured.

What I have noticed is that since the Trojan (I believe it has gone), I am
unable to connect to the Internet by clicking on the IE logo (that has gone).
What I have to do it open a saved IE HTML file and type in the URL I want to
visit in the address bar.

I'll try to get Fiddler2 (but I have not heard of that one).

Thanks again, Dan.

Steve

> Hello Dan
>
> I have reset the browser, but that didn't work. That is what I get:
>
> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
>
> What you can try
>
> Diagnose Connection Problems
>
> More information
>
> When I click 'Diagnose Connection problems', a dialogue box tells me that
> Windows did not detect any problems with the connection. And in the log:
>
> Last diagnostic run time: 06/16/10 09:37:38 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
> HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
>
> info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
> info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
> info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
>
> I have also looked at Group Policy - it is not configured.
>
> What I have noticed is that since the Trojan (I believe it has gone), I am
> unable to connect to the Internet by clicking on the IE logo (that has
> gone).
> What I have to do it open a saved IE HTML file and type in the URL I want
> visit in the address bar.

In that case something is still broken. Have you tried repairing IE from
Add/Remove Programs?

As to the diagnotic test, note that it only tests outgoing connections on
the standard HTTP, HTTPS and FTP ports.

I'd also check to see if a router/firewall configuration has been adjusted
to block access to that non-standard port number.

> I'll try to get Fiddler2 (but I have not heard of that one).

http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

It's a debugging tool for viewing HTTP and HTTPS exchanges, very handy for
tracing problems with requests from browsers.

Dan