Serach engine Problems

Gary

Serach engine Problems
Hi Gang,

I am running windows XP PRO SP3.

My problem started Wednesday---

When I google , bing etc, I do a get list of sites that are related to
the search string entered, however when I click on a result of the
search, I get redirected to another search engine and then the pop ups
start for other search engines. HELP

I have run spybot, ad-aware, malwaremalbytes, avg and unhackme.

I still have the problem, any guidence you can give me would be helpful

Gary
Rob

Re: Serach engine Problems
Gary <nospam@ntr.net> wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> I am running windows XP PRO SP3.
>
> My problem started Wednesday---
>
> When I google , bing etc, I do a get list of sites that are related to
> the search string entered, however when I click on a result of the
> search, I get redirected to another search engine and then the pop ups
> start for other search engines. HELP
>
> I have run spybot, ad-aware, malwaremalbytes, avg and unhackme.
>
> I still have the problem, any guidence you can give me would be helpful

Apparently a very resistant piece of adware.

It may be that you need to re-install the system.

Re: Serach engine Problems
You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now post the requested logs in an appropriate forum for assistance by an
expert in such matters. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

I can recommend the expert assistance offered in these forums:
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php, and
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30

Gary wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> I am running windows XP PRO SP3.
>
> My problem started Wednesday---
>
> When I google , bing etc, I do a get list of sites that are related to
> the search string entered, however when I click on a result of the
> search, I get redirected to another search engine and then the pop ups
> start for other search engines. HELP
>
> I have run spybot, ad-aware, malwaremalbytes, avg and unhackme.
>
> I still have the problem, any guidence you can give me would be helpful
>
> Gary

bwatkins0312

RE: Serach engine Problems
You have a rootkit.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

Run that.

Don't listen to Rob, he's and inadequate idiot who can't please a woman.
Gary

Re: Serach engine Problems
On 6/12/2010 1:41 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription
> had expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your
> subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept
> fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your time with any of the
> below: Format & reinstall Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>
> Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
> dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including
> unwanted software), and adware.
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1
>
> Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:
> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
>
> Otherwise...

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm
>
> 3. Now post the requested logs in an appropriate forum for assistance by
> an expert in such matters. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!
>
> I can recommend the expert assistance offered in these forums:
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php, and
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in
> admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local,
> reputable and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad)
> computer repair shop.
>
> Gary wrote:
>> Hi Gang,
>>
>> I am running windows XP PRO SP3.
>>
>> My problem started Wednesday---
>>
>> When I google , bing etc, I do a get list of sites that are related to
>> the search string entered, however when I click on a result of the
>> search, I get redirected to another search engine and then the pop ups
>> start for other search engines. HELP
>>
>> I have run spybot, ad-aware, malwaremalbytes, avg and unhackme.
>>
>> I still have the problem, any guidence you can give me would be helpful
>>
>> Gary

I Tried all your suggestions and they worked to some degree---Thanks a
ton--the machine is much less annoying

Gary