Forcing IE8 Standards Mode with FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION

bwatkins0312

Forcing IE8 Standards Mode with FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
I'm doing this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2...rovements.aspx

But it's not working.

I have "iexplore.exe" set to 8888 (decimal mode) under MACHINE, but it's
still coming up documentMode = 5.

I thought 8888 was suppose to force IE8 Standards Mode whether you have a
doctype or not.

What is going on?
rob^_^

Re: Forcing IE8 Standards Mode with FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
Mutton is still mutton without a shipping slip that says its lamb. Add a DTD
(Document type declaration) to your page and validate your markup so that it
complies to the w3c standard(s) defined by your DTD.

Regards.

"bwatkins0312" <bwatkins0312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news0FD0A2B-5625-4638-A521-49AB020FCA6E@microsoft.com...
> I'm doing this:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2...rovements.aspx
>
> But it's not working.
>
> I have "iexplore.exe" set to 8888 (decimal mode) under MACHINE, but it's
> still coming up documentMode = 5.
>
> I thought 8888 was suppose to force IE8 Standards Mode whether you have a
> doctype or not.
>
> What is going on?

bwatkins0312

Re: Forcing IE8 Standards Mode with FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
That doesn't help if that page isn't mine.
Dan

Re: Forcing IE8 Standards Mode with FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION

"bwatkins0312" <bwatkins0312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news0FD0A2B-5625-4638-A521-49AB020FCA6E@microsoft.com...
> I'm doing this:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2...rovements.aspx
>
> But it's not working.
>
> I have "iexplore.exe" set to 8888 (decimal mode) under MACHINE, but it's
> still coming up documentMode = 5.
>
> I thought 8888 was suppose to force IE8 Standards Mode whether you have a
> doctype or not.
>
> What is going on?

Just tested it here, and pages without a DTD will still render in Quirks
mode (5). Pages with a DTD are forced into IE8 Standards Mode rather than
IE7 Standards.

If you check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...30(VS.85).aspx
you'll see that 8888 mentions that pages are displayed in IE8 Standards Mode
(there's a typo though, it just says Internet Explorer 8!) regardless of the
!DOCTYPE directive - however, it does not state that pages without a
!DOCTYPE are displayed in Standards Mode. It looks like this registry key
doesn't do what you think it does - it overrides the handling based on a
DTD, but without a DTD will still use IE7 Quirks Mode. The page you linked
to never claims that you can force IE8 (or any application using the
WebBrowser control) into IE8 Standards Mode for all pages.

--
Dan

Dan

"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

> "bwatkins0312" <bwatkins0312@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news0FD0A2B-5625-4638-A521-49AB020FCA6E@microsoft.com...
>> I'm doing this:
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2...rovements.aspx
>>
>> But it's not working.
>>
>> I have "iexplore.exe" set to 8888 (decimal mode) under MACHINE, but it's
>> still coming up documentMode = 5.
>>
>> I thought 8888 was suppose to force IE8 Standards Mode whether you have a
>> doctype or not.
>>
>> What is going on?

> Just tested it here, and pages without a DTD will still render in Quirks
> mode (5). Pages with a DTD are forced into IE8 Standards Mode rather than
> IE7 Standards.
>
> If you check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...30(VS.85).aspx
> you'll see that 8888 mentions that pages are displayed in IE8 Standards
> Mode (there's a typo though, it just says Internet Explorer 8!) regardless
> of the !DOCTYPE directive - however, it does not state that pages without
> a !DOCTYPE are displayed in Standards Mode. It looks like this registry
> key doesn't do what you think it does - it overrides the handling based on
> a DTD, but without a DTD will still use IE7 Quirks Mode. The page you
> linked to never claims that you can force IE8 (or any application using
> the WebBrowser control) into IE8 Standards Mode for all pages.

Also note that for IE8 itself this registry key will only allow you to force
a change from IE8 Standards Mode down to IE7 Standards Mode, as IE8 by
default already defaults to the setting 8000. It's rare that this setting
would need to be changed for IE8 itself.

It's intended use is for applications using the WebBrowser control from IE8
so that they can be switched from the default of IE7 Standards Mode up to
IE8 Standards Mode.

--
Dan

bwatkins0312

Re: Forcing IE8 Standards Mode with FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
Thanks, so you have to have a doctype regardless.

Which is irrelevant either way, because selectors simply do not work in IE8
user style sheets applied via Accessibility options, regardless of doctype or
document mode.

Fan.Tas.Tic!