Can't download a pdf in IE7

Bobbi

Can't download a pdf in IE7
There's one website which has a drop-down list of PDFs for downloading. I
can't download any of them using IE7, although it works in Firefox. I
haven't had trouble download PDFs from other websites, although they're not
drop-down lists. I didn't have this problem in IE6 before upgrading last
month. Is there a setting I need to change?

-Bobbi

Re: Can't download a pdf in IE7
What website?

What's your default PDF reader & version?

Can you not download PDF files or are you having problems opening PDF links
in IE?

Bobbi wrote:
> There's one website which has a drop-down list of PDFs for downloading. I
> can't download any of them using IE7, although it works in Firefox. I
> haven't had trouble download PDFs from other websites, although they're
> not
> drop-down lists. I didn't have this problem in IE6 before upgrading last
> month. Is there a setting I need to change?
>
> -Bobbi

Bobbi

Re: Can't download a pdf in IE7
Hi, PA Bear-

The problem seems to be only with one website (or it might be other websites
which have PDFs listed in a drop-down list). I can't download any of the
listed PDFs in the drop-down list. All I get is a clicking sound and a page
refresh. (Default viewer is Acrobate reader 9, but it works using Firefox).

At other websites in which the link to the PDF is listed directly on the web
page, there's no problem with IE7 downloading and opening it.

I suspect that there's some security setting in IE7 that's the problem here,
although there's no warning displayed. It worked OK in IE6, but my settings
were somewhat different there.

If you'd like, I can paste in a selection of the code from the particular
web page in question.

Bobbi

> What website?
>
> What's your default PDF reader & version?
>
> Can you not download PDF files or are you having problems opening PDF
> links in IE?
>

> Bobbi wrote:
>> There's one website which has a drop-down list of PDFs for downloading. I
>> can't download any of them using IE7, although it works in Firefox. I
>> haven't had trouble download PDFs from other websites, although they're
>> not
>> drop-down lists. I didn't have this problem in IE6 before upgrading last
>> month. Is there a setting I need to change?
>>
>> -Bobbi

Bobbi

Re: Can't download a pdf in IE7
Here's the web page from which I can't download from the drop-down list:
http://www.ballonacreek.org/newsletter.shtml

OS: Win XP SP3

Bobbi

"Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi, PA Bear-
>
> The problem seems to be only with one website (or it might be other
> websites which have PDFs listed in a drop-down list). I can't download any
> of the listed PDFs in the drop-down list. All I get is a clicking sound
> and a page refresh. (Default viewer is Acrobate reader 9, but it works
> using Firefox).
>
> At other websites in which the link to the PDF is listed directly on the
> web page, there's no problem with IE7 downloading and opening it.
>
> I suspect that there's some security setting in IE7 that's the problem
> here, although there's no warning displayed. It worked OK in IE6, but my
> settings were somewhat different there.
>
> If you'd like, I can paste in a selection of the code from the particular
> web page in question.
>
> Bobbi

>> What website?
>>
>> What's your default PDF reader & version?
>>
>> Can you not download PDF files or are you having problems opening PDF
>> links in IE?
>>

>> Bobbi wrote:
>>> There's one website which has a drop-down list of PDFs for downloading.
>>> can't download any of them using IE7, although it works in Firefox. I
>>> haven't had trouble download PDFs from other websites, although they're
>>> not
>>> drop-down lists. I didn't have this problem in IE6 before upgrading last
>>> month. Is there a setting I need to change?
>>>
>>> -Bobbi

KCB

Re: Can't download a pdf in IE7

> Here's the web page from which I can't download from the drop-down list:
> http://www.ballonacreek.org/newsletter.shtml
>
> OS: Win XP SP3
>
> Bobbi

IE's pop-up blocker is preventing it. The pdfs from the drop-down list load
in a new window.

Bobbi

Re: Can't download a pdf in IE7
I disabled the pop-up blocker but the problem remains.

"KCB" <bcgc_qc@hootmail.com> wrote in message

> "Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> Here's the web page from which I can't download from the drop-down list:
>> http://www.ballonacreek.org/newsletter.shtml
>>
>> OS: Win XP SP3
>>
>> Bobbi
>>

> IE's pop-up blocker is preventing it. The pdfs from the drop-down list
> load in a new window.

Alan Edwards

Re: Can't download a pdf in IE7
Not much help as it just makes a sound and refreshes in IE7 and IE8
but I can download them if I find out the location in View Source.
e.g. http://www.ballonacreek.org/newsletter/news06.pdf
is Issue 6: January 2001 (242kb)

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:28:09 -0700, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "Bobbi"
<bobbi@example.invalid> wrote:

>Here's the web page from which I can't download from the drop-down list:
>http://www.ballonacreek.org/newsletter.shtml
>
>OS: Win XP SP3
>
>Bobbi
>

>"Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
>news:%23jOS%235OCLHA.1368@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl. ..
>> Hi, PA Bear-
>>
>> The problem seems to be only with one website (or it might be other
>> websites which have PDFs listed in a drop-down list). I can't download any
>> of the listed PDFs in the drop-down list. All I get is a clicking sound
>> and a page refresh. (Default viewer is Acrobate reader 9, but it works
>> using Firefox).
>>
>> At other websites in which the link to the PDF is listed directly on the
>> web page, there's no problem with IE7 downloading and opening it.
>>
>> I suspect that there's some security setting in IE7 that's the problem
>> here, although there's no warning displayed. It worked OK in IE6, but my
>> settings were somewhat different there.
>>
>> If you'd like, I can paste in a selection of the code from the particular
>> web page in question.
>>
>> Bobbi

>>> What website?
>>>
>>> What's your default PDF reader & version?
>>>
>>> Can you not download PDF files or are you having problems opening PDF
>>> links in IE?

Bobbi

Re: Can't download a pdf in IE7
Hi, Alan-

So you're saying you're experiencing the same problem? That means it's the
website that's at fault, not IE7.

That website is the website of a nonprofit org I volunteer for, and I'm
merely trying to make sure it works properly for the general public. I
actually have the files listed in the drop-down list, I don't really need to
download them, I'm just testing.

Bobbi

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Not much help as it just makes a sound and refreshes in IE7 and IE8
> but I can download them if I find out the location in View Source.
> e.g. http://www.ballonacreek.org/newsletter/news06.pdf
> is Issue 6: January 2001 (242kb)
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.com/index.htm
>

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:28:09 -0700, in
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "Bobbi"
> <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Here's the web page from which I can't download from the drop-down list:
>>http://www.ballonacreek.org/newsletter.shtml
>>
>>OS: Win XP SP3
>>
>>Bobbi
>>

>>"Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>news:%23jOS%235OCLHA.1368@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl.. .
>>> Hi, PA Bear-
>>>
>>> The problem seems to be only with one website (or it might be other
>>> websites which have PDFs listed in a drop-down list). I can't download
>>> any
>>> of the listed PDFs in the drop-down list. All I get is a clicking sound
>>> and a page refresh. (Default viewer is Acrobate reader 9, but it works
>>> using Firefox).
>>>
>>> At other websites in which the link to the PDF is listed directly on the
>>> web page, there's no problem with IE7 downloading and opening it.
>>>
>>> I suspect that there's some security setting in IE7 that's the problem
>>> here, although there's no warning displayed. It worked OK in IE6, but my
>>> settings were somewhat different there.
>>>
>>> If you'd like, I can paste in a selection of the code from the
>>> particular
>>> web page in question.
>>>
>>> Bobbi

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Can't download a pdf in IE7

> I disabled the pop-up blocker but the problem remains.

Pressing Ctrl+Alt- while clicking on a link bypassed the IE popup blocker
for me.

> "KCB" <bcgc_qc@hootmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Here's the web page from which I can't download from the drop-down list:
>>> http://www.ballonacreek.org/newsletter.shtml
>>>
>>> OS: Win XP SP3
>>>
>>> Bobbi
>>>

>> IE's pop-up blocker is preventing it. The pdfs from the drop-down list
>> load in a new window.

Bobbi

Re: Can't download a pdf in IE7
Thanks, Robert. Yes, CTRL+ALT worked for me, too. But even if I disable the
pop-up blocker in my IE security settings, it doesn't solve the problem. And
other viewers won't know that. There must be some other setting to adjust
(unless the webpage coding needs to be changed.)

I actually don't need to get the files. I'm a volunteer with the
organization to whom this website belongs, and I'm just testing it to see
that it works properly.

Bobbi