Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE8 update problems/questions

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
JeffH
 

Posts: n/a
IE8 update problems/questions
Hi,

I'm installing IE 8 in my organization and ran into problems/questions with
updates. I've been looking for all relevent updates & patches before I
deploy it. On one of the test systems has version 8.0.6001.18702CO. Does
anyone know what the 'CO' stands for? To figure out my question about
updates I thought that I would try to solve it by running Windows Update.
When I ran this I only noticed 1 patch for IE8, it was a cumulative patch for
IE8, KB982381. Since I'm deploying this to a number of machines I thought
I'd download the patch. When I did this I received an error message 'The
version of Internet Explorer you have installed does not match the update
....'. All of the systems in my office are running Windows XP Service Pack 3
x86 platform. The questionable things that I found are that if I go to
Microsoft's Update site, run only this update, and reboot then I find:
- The version number has not changed.
- There is nothing in Add/Remove programs to reference this installation.
- Although there is a new folder in C:\Windows\$h_mig$ called KB982391-IE8
- If I go to Microsoft's update site and check my PC for updates then the
'Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
(KB982381)' is no longer on the list of updates.

Is there a way to wrap that update into the installation file? And will
that Cumulative update make my IE8 installation current with all patches and
updates for IE8?

Thanks in Advance,
JeffH
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
Rob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 update problems/questions
JeffH <JeffH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm installing IE 8 in my organization and ran into problems/questions with
> updates. I've been looking for all relevent updates & patches before I
> deploy it. On one of the test systems has version 8.0.6001.18702CO. Does
> anyone know what the 'CO' stands for? To figure out my question about


I don't know what it means. Our systems have "8.0.6001.18702".

> updates I thought that I would try to solve it by running Windows Update.
> When I ran this I only noticed 1 patch for IE8, it was a cumulative patch for
> IE8, KB982381. Since I'm deploying this to a number of machines I thought
> I'd download the patch. When I did this I received an error message 'The
> version of Internet Explorer you have installed does not match the update
> ...'. All of the systems in my office are running Windows XP Service Pack 3


Were you downloading it or were you actually running it?

> x86 platform. The questionable things that I found are that if I go to
> Microsoft's Update site, run only this update, and reboot then I find:
> - The version number has not changed.


This is "normal". Microsoft does not change the version number (neither
of the 4 fields) after the release of the product, no matter how many
cumulative updates you install. I agree that this is sometimes inconvenient
when you want to quickly check at what level you are. Room for improvement!

> - There is nothing in Add/Remove programs to reference this installation.


Also not after checking the "updates" box at the top?

> - Although there is a new folder in C:\Windows\$h_mig$ called KB982391-IE8
> - If I go to Microsoft's update site and check my PC for updates then the
> 'Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
> (KB982381)' is no longer on the list of updates.


Then it apparently has been applied.
You can also check this by looking in the registry at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix
where there should be a KB982381-IE8 subkey.

> Is there a way to wrap that update into the installation file? And will
> that Cumulative update make my IE8 installation current with all patches and
> updates for IE8?


What I normally do is download the .exe file and run it on all systems
using: IE8-WindowsXP-KB982381-x86-NLD.exe /PASSIVE /NORESTART /NOBACKUP

However, note that this type of update, although it is called cumulative
update, does not include *all* updates for (and related to) IE8.

You need to also install at least: KB971961 KB981332
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
Donald Anadell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 update problems/questions

"JeffH" <JeffH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E658143D-7A67-4A51-A5CF-B5D658C5E240@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm installing IE 8 in my organization and ran into problems/questions
> with
> updates. I've been looking for all relevent updates & patches before I
> deploy it. On one of the test systems has version 8.0.6001.18702CO. Does
> anyone know what the 'CO' stands for?


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969393

"All versions of Internet Explorer 5.0 and later that are customized with
Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) include one of the
following strings after the version number when you click About on the Help
menu:
IC = Internet Content Provider
IS = Internet Service Provider
CO = Corporate Administrator"

See Rob's reply for additional information.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell



> To figure out my question about
> updates I thought that I would try to solve it by running Windows Update.
> When I ran this I only noticed 1 patch for IE8, it was a cumulative patch
> for
> IE8, KB982381. Since I'm deploying this to a number of machines I thought
> I'd download the patch. When I did this I received an error message 'The
> version of Internet Explorer you have installed does not match the update
> ...'. All of the systems in my office are running Windows XP Service Pack
> 3
> x86 platform. The questionable things that I found are that if I go to
> Microsoft's Update site, run only this update, and reboot then I find:
> - The version number has not changed.
> - There is nothing in Add/Remove programs to reference this installation.
> - Although there is a new folder in C:\Windows\$h_mig$ called KB982391-IE8
> - If I go to Microsoft's update site and check my PC for updates then the
> 'Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
> (KB982381)' is no longer on the list of updates.
>
> Is there a way to wrap that update into the installation file? And will
> that Cumulative update make my IE8 installation current with all patches
> and
> updates for IE8?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> JeffH



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 update problems/questions


"JeffH" <JeffH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E658143D-7A67-4A51-A5CF-B5D658C5E240@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm installing IE 8 in my organization


> Does anyone know what the 'CO' stands for?



Yes and you should too. Are you taking over from someone else in your
organization? You should ask them. It means that there is an IEAK
version that you aren't aware of.


---

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 update problems/questions
> Since I'm deploying this to a number of machines I
> thought I'd download the patch. When I did this I received an error
> message 'The version of Internet Explorer you have installed does not
> match
> the update ...' ...All of the systems in my office are running Windows XP
> Service Pack 3 x86 platform.


Probably means that KB982381 has already been installed via AU or WSUS. If
"Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB982381)" is listed in
Add/Remove Programs (after making sure the Show Updates box is checked),
it's already installed.

If not, you've probably got a beta build of SP3 installed.

> if I go to Microsoft's Update site, run only this update, and reboot then
> I
> find:
> - The version number has not changed.


Unlike IE7, %system%\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this
file version does not change after a Cumulative Security Update has been
installed.

> - There is nothing in Add/Remove programs to reference this installation.


See above.

> - If I go to Microsoft's update site and check my PC for updates then the
> 'Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
> (KB982381)' is no longer on the list of updates.


See above.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


JeffH wrote:
> I'm installing IE 8 in my organization and ran into problems/questions
> with
> updates. I've been looking for all relevent updates & patches before I
> deploy it. On one of the test systems has version 8.0.6001.18702CO. Does
> anyone know what the 'CO' stands for? To figure out my question about
> updates I thought that I would try to solve it by running Windows Update.
> When I ran this I only noticed 1 patch for IE8, it was a cumulative patch
> for IE8, KB982381. Since I'm deploying this to a number of machines I
> thought I'd download the patch. When I did this I received an error
> message 'The version of Internet Explorer you have installed does not
> match
> the update ...'. All of the systems in my office are running Windows XP
> Service Pack 3 x86 platform. The questionable things that I found are
> that
> if I go to Microsoft's Update site, run only this update, and reboot then
> I
> find:
> - The version number has not changed.
> - There is nothing in Add/Remove programs to reference this installation.
> - Although there is a new folder in C:\Windows\$h_mig$ called KB982391-IE8
> - If I go to Microsoft's update site and check my PC for updates then the
> 'Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
> (KB982381)' is no longer on the list of updates.
>
> Is there a way to wrap that update into the installation file? And will
> that Cumulative update make my IE8 installation current with all patches
> and
> updates for IE8?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> JeffH


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 update problems/questions
Odd: No post by Rob (vs. rob^_^) has downloaded here via NNTP though I see
it in Google Groups.

PS: Posts by the same Rob in other NGs (e.g., microsoft.public.security)
aren't showing up either.

Donald Anadell wrote:
<snip>
> See Rob's reply for additional information.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
Donald Anadell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 update problems/questions

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eiUBLaMCLHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Odd: No post by Rob (vs. rob^_^) has downloaded here via NNTP though I see
> it in Google Groups.


Hummm...His(Rob's) message showed up at 11:33 AM here in Outlook Express.

Donald Anadell


>
> PS: Posts by the same Rob in other NGs (e.g., microsoft.public.security)
> aren't showing up either.
>
> Donald Anadell wrote:
> <snip>
>> See Rob's reply for additional information.

>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
Rob
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 update problems/questions
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Odd: No post by Rob (vs. rob^_^) has downloaded here via NNTP though I see
> it in Google Groups.
>
> PS: Posts by the same Rob in other NGs (e.g., microsoft.public.security)
> aren't showing up either.


Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

Internet Explorer freezes or crashes (access page via IE8 32-bit only & run
the Fix It)
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer (Win7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lems-with-Inte
rnet-Explorer

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
Vista or WinXP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Win7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
it)?

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2010
JeffH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 update problems/questions
Hi,

I started setting this up with the IEAK but I had a reboot problem in my
environment. After discussing this with Microsoft support I ended up running
the install via a vbScript. And then using a GPO to deploy configuration
options. Now the interesting thing here is that I originally deployed IE6
configurations using the IEAK. I wouldn't think that this could cause a
problem or could it?

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

>
>
> "JeffH" <JeffH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E658143D-7A67-4A51-A5CF-B5D658C5E240@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm installing IE 8 in my organization

>
> > Does anyone know what the 'CO' stands for?

>
>
> Yes and you should too. Are you taking over from someone else in your
> organization? You should ask them. It means that there is an IEAK
> version that you aren't aware of.
>
>
> ---
>
> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2010
KCB
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE8 update problems/questions

"Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
news:slrni12elm.g7d.nomail@xs8.xs4all.nl...
> PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Odd: No post by Rob (vs. rob^_^) has downloaded here via NNTP though I
>> see
>> it in Google Groups.
>>
>> PS: Posts by the same Rob in other NGs (e.g., microsoft.public.security)
>> aren't showing up either.

>
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
> when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
> next
> reply.
>
> Internet Explorer freezes or crashes (access page via IE8 32-bit only &
> run
> the Fix It)
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes
>
> Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer (Win7)
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lems-with-Inte
> rnet-Explorer
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?
>
> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
> &
> IE8 in all OSS]
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>
> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> Vista or WinXP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Win7:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings
>
> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>


LOL

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SP-2 Install Problems & Questions! parrotlover Microsoft Virtualization Q&A - Tues 23rd Feb 2010 2 02-24-2010 21:28
Media Center and Comcast problems/questions Patrick D microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 10-09-2009 04:08
SP1 questions - potential problems? MaryL microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 04-05-2008 13:41
Vsta Wireless Network Problems and Questions Jim Holmes microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 12-22-2007 21:42
What questions should I ask about Internet Connection problems? =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZXBoIEthdHo=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 03-30-2007 17:58




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:04.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120