Activex not supported in IE8

monkbat

Activex not supported in IE8
I have IE8 on my desktop and it works finr. My daughters laptop had IE 8 and
it does not support Activex - it's driving me mad as I can get no answer I
remotely understand from the internet. I am not a computer geek and have
tried doing a registry cleanup etc but cannot get it to work. Anybody help a
non computer literate bod to sort this out?
Jeff Strickland

Re: Activex not supported in IE8
The issue is that Active X is not supported by the 64-bit version of IE8, it
works fine under the 32-bit version.

You didn't say so I have to assume you're using Win7, but you could be using
Vista.

Anyhow, click Start>All Programs, and scroll to Internet Explorer, there are
two listed. One of them is defined as 64-bit, the other one works with
ActiveX. (You could be using other operating systems, but you would know
this problem long ago if that was the case.)

"monkbat" <monkbat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have IE8 on my desktop and it works finr. My daughters laptop had IE 8
>and
> it does not support Activex - it's driving me mad as I can get no answer I
> remotely understand from the internet. I am not a computer geek and have
> tried doing a registry cleanup etc but cannot get it to work. Anybody
> help a
> non computer literate bod to sort this out?

Leonard Grey

Re: Activex not supported in IE8
64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7 come with 32- and 64-bit versions
of Internet Explorer. Ask your daughter to use the 32-bit version of
Internet Explorer.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

monkbat wrote:
> I have IE8 on my desktop and it works finr. My daughters laptop had IE 8 and
> it does not support Activex - it's driving me mad as I can get no answer I
> remotely understand from the internet. I am not a computer geek and have
> tried doing a registry cleanup etc but cannot get it to work. Anybody help a
> non computer literate bod to sort this out?

Re: Activex not supported in IE8
"...had IE8"? Explain.

Always state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) of the computer(s) in
question when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

> "...had IE8"? Explain.

Typo. He meant HAS, the s and the d are adjacent keys.

> Always state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) of the computer(s) in
> question when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
> reply.
>

> monkbat wrote:
>> I have IE8 on my desktop and it works finr. My daughters laptop had IE 8
>> and it does not support Activex - it's driving me mad as I can get no
>> answer I remotely understand from the internet. I am not a computer geek
>> and have tried doing a registry cleanup etc but cannot get it to work.
>> Anybody help a non computer literate bod to sort this out?

jeepers

Re: Activex not supported in IE8
Another grouchy pointless response from pa bear....

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> "...had IE8"? Explain.
>
> Always state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
> SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) of the
> computer(s) in question when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please
> do so in your next reply.
>

> monkbat wrote:
>> I have IE8 on my desktop and it works finr. My daughters laptop had
>> IE 8 and it does not support Activex - it's driving me mad as I can
>> get no answer I remotely understand from the internet. I am not a
>> computer geek and have tried doing a registry cleanup etc but cannot
>> get it to work. Anybody help a non computer literate bod to sort
>> this out?

Hot-text

Re: Activex not supported in IE8
Jeff Strickland to gave help with out that info is not right
that's why you not a MS MVP
Jeff Strickland you the why Microsoft is Close the NNTP for!

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> "...had IE8"? Explain.
>>

> Typo. He meant HAS, the s and the d are adjacent keys.
>

>> Always state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
>> Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) of the computer(s) in
>> question when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
>> reply.
>>

>> monkbat wrote:
>>> I have IE8 on my desktop and it works finr. My daughters laptop had IE
>>> 8
>>> and it does not support Activex - it's driving me mad as I can get no
>>> answer I remotely understand from the internet. I am not a computer
>>> geek
>>> and have tried doing a registry cleanup etc but cannot get it to work.
>>> Anybody help a non computer literate bod to sort this out?

Jeff Strickland

Re: Activex not supported in IE8
I only explained the mix-up between HAD and HAS.

Having said that, it a different post I suggested to the OP that the issue
is that Flash is not supported in IE8, 64-bit but is supported in IE8,
32-bit.

This is factually correct without regard to the OS, and the application is
stated in the original post.

If the MVPs would give a possible solution AND the caveat that since the OC
is not stated, the answer might not apply, and please give the OS if the
solution doesn't work, then maybe the NNTP wouldn't be going away. Surely
it's demise isn't because of people like me trying to help people like you.