IE8 says 'last session closed unexpectedly' and offers to restore

measurement

IE8 says 'last session closed unexpectedly' and offers to restore
I never close down with IE open, so why does it keep asking to restore my
last session? I have Windows 7, recently purchased, so no control over IE8.
If I delete browsing history, I can use it, and open it over and over, but
when I boot the machine, it won't allow me to open IE8 to my home page.
Closing it with the task bar doesn't help - it just goes into a wait state
the next time I try to open it.
(p.s. signing up just to ask this question was a nightmare of unclear
directions)
Dan

Re: IE8 says 'last session closed unexpectedly' and offers to restore

"measurement" <measurement@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I never close down with IE open, so why does it keep asking to restore my
> last session? I have Windows 7, recently purchased, so no control over
> IE8.
> If I delete browsing history, I can use it, and open it over and over, but
> when I boot the machine, it won't allow me to open IE8 to my home page.
> Closing it with the task bar doesn't help - it just goes into a wait state
> the next time I try to open it.
> (p.s. signing up just to ask this question was a nightmare of unclear
> directions)

Try running in No Add-ons mode - it may be that you have an add-on loaded
that is preventing IE from closing down completely. You'll then need to test
each add-on in turn to find out which one is stopping IE from closing down;
while the GUI might close, there's probably an iexplore.exe process still
running which you can see in task manager which is the parent IE process
being held open by an add-on that isn't closing itself down.

--
Dan

Re: IE8 says 'last session closed unexpectedly' and offers to restore
IE Support forum (will be replacing this newsgroup by 01 Oct-10):
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...plorer/threads

All Win7 forums:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7

Internet Explorer freezes or crashes (access page via IE8 32-bit only & run
the Fix It)
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer (Win7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ernet-Explorer

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

measurement wrote:
> I never close down with IE open, so why does it keep asking to restore my
> last session? I have Windows 7, recently purchased, so no control over
> IE8.
> If I delete browsing history, I can use it, and open it over and over, but
> when I boot the machine, it won't allow me to open IE8 to my home page.
> Closing it with the task bar doesn't help - it just goes into a wait state
> the next time I try to open it.
> (p.s. signing up just to ask this question was a nightmare of unclear
> directions)

measurement

Re: IE8 says 'last session closed unexpectedly' and offers to rest
Thanks Dan,
I'll try that. I've very averse to add-ons, but there could be one, like AVG
or Skype links.

"Dan" wrote:

> Try running in No Add-ons mode - it may be that you have an add-on loaded
> that is preventing IE from closing down completely. You'll then need to test
> each add-on in turn to find out which one is stopping IE from closing down;
> while the GUI might close, there's probably an iexplore.exe process still
> running which you can see in task manager which is the parent IE process
> being held open by an add-on that isn't closing itself down.
>
> --
> Dan
>
> .

Dan

Re: IE8 says 'last session closed unexpectedly' and offers to rest
You might also have Flash, Windows Live, Java, and a few others in there
too.

Dan

> Thanks Dan,
> I'll try that. I've very averse to add-ons, but there could be one, like
> AVG
> or Skype links.
>
> "Dan" wrote:
>

>> Try running in No Add-ons mode - it may be that you have an add-on loaded
>> that is preventing IE from closing down completely. You'll then need to
>> test
>> each add-on in turn to find out which one is stopping IE from closing
>> down;
>> while the GUI might close, there's probably an iexplore.exe process still
>> running which you can see in task manager which is the parent IE process
>> being held open by an add-on that isn't closing itself down.
>>
>> --
>> Dan
>>
>> .

_prefix

RE: IE8 says 'last session closed unexpectedly' and offers to restore
Check your Application event log and see if you have an error.

I've posted my own thread because I keep getting "Internet Explorer has
stopped working" (could that possibly be more vague).

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-d6b3dd8016b1

Reading another post, also helpful to mention whether you are using ie8
32bit or 64bit. Here's that thread fyi:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...0-d9b84d6b9986

One last thing, may want to post in
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...ograms/threads