too many to list

carolwalsh44

too many to list
how do i uninstall microsoft security. i am going to use norton exclusively.
comcast,my internet provider supports norton. and also, so does Dell, the
company that i bought the computer from. Pls. reply asap. things just are
getting worse & worse. i would like my computer back to the initial state it
was in when i purchased it. i'm desparate. this computer is fairly new &
all screwed up. pls help.
Bruce Hagen

Re: too many to list
You remove Microsoft Security Essentials via the Control Paned |
Add/Remove Programs.

IMO, you are making a huge mistake. No version of Norton has been fully
compatible with Internet Explorer and all Windows e-mail programs. MSE is
not only compatible, it is free and offers the same, if not better,
protection.

Install Norton at your own risk.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"carolwalsh44" <carolwalsh44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i uninstall microsoft security. i am going to use norton
> exclusively.
> comcast,my internet provider supports norton. and also, so does Dell,
> the
> company that i bought the computer from. Pls. reply asap. things just
> are
> getting worse & worse. i would like my computer back to the initial
> state it
> was in when i purchased it. i'm desparate. this computer is fairly
> new &
> all screwed up. pls help.

Leonard Grey

Re: too many to list
To return your computer back to the initial state it was in when you
purchased it:

Windows 7 PC Restore
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...t?docid=362066

Something to know: Comcast does not support Norton software, and neither
does Dell. Support for Norton software comes from Symantec technical
support.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

carolwalsh44 wrote:
> how do i uninstall microsoft security. i am going to use norton exclusively.
> comcast,my internet provider supports norton. and also, so does Dell, the
> company that i bought the computer from. Pls. reply asap. things just are
> getting worse & worse. i would like my computer back to the initial state it
> was in when i purchased it. i'm desparate. this computer is fairly new &
> all screwed up. pls help.

Re: too many to list
the preinstall norton application was a 60-day free trial: did the free
trial expire before you installed "microsoft security?"

did you uninstall the norton application AND download/run the norton removal
tool before you installed "microsoft sucurity?"

carolwalsh44 wrote:
> how do i uninstall microsoft security. i am going to use norton
> exclusively.
> comcast,my internet provider supports norton. and also, so does Dell, the
> company that i bought the computer from. Pls. reply asap. things just are
> getting worse & worse. i would like my computer back to the initial state
> it
> was in when i purchased it. i'm desparate. this computer is fairly new
> &
> all screwed up. pls help.

VanguardLH

Re: too many to list
carolwalsh44 wrote:

> how do i uninstall microsoft security.

You're trying to convince us that you have never used the Add/Remove
Programs applet in Control Panel to uninstall software?

> i am going to use norton exclusively. comcast,my internet provider
> supports norton.

Comcasts provides a link to download the Norton software. Comcast does
not support it. If you were alert and not a brand new Comcast customer,
you would know it was not very long ago when Comcast was pushing
McAfee's solution.

> and also, so does Dell,

They don't support Symantec's software, either.

> the company that i bought the computer from.

The "support" you get from your computer shop is whatever you paid with
the computer that you bought, and that would be the minimial support
contract with Dell - unless, of course, you actually paid the store for
a support contract.

> Pls. reply asap. things just are getting worse & worse.

We don't what would be those "things" since they weren't described.
Sounds like you got infected and need someone else to cleanup your
host.

> i would like my computer back to the initial state it was in when i
> purchased it.

Follow the instructions in the manual for your computer. It will tell
you how to use the recovery image to restore your computer back to its
install-time state. Of course, if Symantec trialware was pre-installed
on your computer then restoring the recovery image will have that
software back on your host.

> i'm desparate. this computer is fairly new & all screwed up. pls
> help.

Since the image used to prep the pre-built computer contains software
that is typically compatible with each other (to minimize support calls
and the cost for them by the computer vendor), it seems clear where the
problems originated. No security software can overcome a user's desire
and intent to corrupt the host. You need to rethink what YOU have been
doing that got your host screwed up or infected.

Changing from Microsoft Security Essentials to Symantec <whatever> isn't
going to unscrew up your host.
Jeff Strickland

Re: too many to list

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> You remove Microsoft Security Essentials via the Control Paned |
> Add/Remove Programs.
>
> IMO, you are making a huge mistake. No version of Norton has been fully
> compatible with Internet Explorer and all Windows e-mail programs. MSE is
> not only compatible, it is free and offers the same, if not better,
> protection.
>
> Install Norton at your own risk.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA

I gotta go with Bruce on this one. I have found that Norton and McAffee are
both dangerously close to being a virus all by themselves. I don't have much
expereince with MSoft Security. but my experiences with Norton and McAffee
were not pleasant.

Jeff Strickland

Re: too many to list

"carolwalsh44" <carolwalsh44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i uninstall microsoft security. i am going to use norton
> exclusively.
> comcast,my internet provider supports norton. and also, so does Dell, the
> company that i bought the computer from. Pls. reply asap. things just are
> getting worse & worse. i would like my computer back to the initial state
> it
> was in when i purchased it. i'm desparate. this computer is fairly new
> &
> all screwed up. pls help.

NONE of those companies "support" Norton. You can use the services that
those companies provide and also use Norton, but this is not the same as
saying that they support Norton. To the extent that they do "support" using
Norton, they also support using Microsoft Security. Whatever the problems
you are having, your use of Norton along with Dell, Comcast, or your ISP
isn't it.