IE8: Autocomplete List

MarkC

IE8: Autocomplete List
Hi,

It looks like Autocomplete list isn't working, eventhough I have it ON in
the Options>Contents>Settings. I type my username when logging in to
a website. Later when I go back to the website login page, my
username isn't listed on the Autocomplete list. What's happening?

Thanks,

Using XP Pro SP3

rob^_^

Re: IE8: Autocomplete List
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-ede5feda1f86

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> It looks like Autocomplete list isn't working, eventhough I have it ON in
> the Options>Contents>Settings. I type my username when logging in to
> a website. Later when I go back to the website login page, my
> username isn't listed on the Autocomplete list. What's happening?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Using XP Pro SP3

Re: Autocomplete List
What website?

MarkC wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like Autocomplete list isn't working, eventhough I have it ON in
> the Options>Contents>Settings. I type my username when logging in to
> a website. Later when I go back to the website login page, my
> username isn't listed on the Autocomplete list. What's happening?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Using XP Pro SP3

VanguardLH

Re: IE8: Autocomplete List
MarkC wrote:

> It looks like Autocomplete list isn't working, eventhough I have it ON
> in the Options>Contents>Settings. I type my username when logging in
> to a website. Later when I go back to the website login page, my
> username isn't listed on the Autocomplete list. What's happening?
>
> Using XP Pro SP3

Do you have IE8 configured to do cleanup when it exits, like purging any
cookies? Might it be configured to also cleanup any auto-complete info?

Internet Options -> General tab: Browsing History, Delete

Are those items enabled to get deleted when you exit IE8?
MarkC

Re: Autocomplete List
Not just limited to one website, just random sites. Mainly banking,
business, web ordering types of sites.
Mark

> What website?
>
> MarkC wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like Autocomplete list isn't working, eventhough I have it ON in
>> the Options>Contents>Settings. I type my username when logging in to
>> a website. Later when I go back to the website login page, my
>> username isn't listed on the Autocomplete list. What's happening?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Using XP Pro SP3

MarkC

Re: IE8: Autocomplete List

Thanks, these settings were all checked and turned on.
mark

> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-ede5feda1f86
>
> "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like Autocomplete list isn't working, eventhough I have it ON in
>> the Options>Contents>Settings. I type my username when logging in to
>> a website. Later when I go back to the website login page, my
>> username isn't listed on the Autocomplete list. What's happening?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Using XP Pro SP3

MarkC

Re: IE8: Autocomplete List
Do I have IE8 setup to do cleanup when it exits? Nope... Unchecked.

It looks like the majority of sites that are not showing the username on the
autocomplete list are login sites that have https, instead of the usual
http. Maybe https sites are not included in the autocomplete feature???

Mark

> MarkC wrote:
>
>> It looks like Autocomplete list isn't working, eventhough I have it ON
>> in the Options>Contents>Settings. I type my username when logging in
>> to a website. Later when I go back to the website login page, my
>> username isn't listed on the Autocomplete list. What's happening?
>>
>> Using XP Pro SP3

> Do you have IE8 configured to do cleanup when it exits, like purging any
> cookies? Might it be configured to also cleanup any auto-complete info?
>
> Internet Options -> General tab: Browsing History, Delete
>
> Are those items enabled to get deleted when you exit IE8?

Re: Autocomplete List
Assuming WinXP SP3 & IE7 or IE8:

1. IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type in

nameof.domain [e.g., live.com; microsoft.com]

and Allow cookies & test.

2. If no joy, eset IE Advanced settings
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737), reboot & test.

3. If still no joy, perhaps see:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/...te-prompt.aspx

MarkC wrote:
> Not just limited to one website, just random sites. Mainly banking,
> business, web ordering types of sites.
>
>> What website?
>>
>>> It looks like Autocomplete list isn't working, eventhough I have it ON
>>> in
>>> the Options>Contents>Settings. I type my username when logging in to
>>> a website. Later when I go back to the website login page, my
>>> username isn't listed on the Autocomplete list. What's happening?

MarkC

Re: Autocomplete List
Thanks for taking the time on this. Really interesting as to why IE7 and
IE8 won't remember user names on certain sites, compared to IE6 which did.
Anyway...

I tried your suggestion #1 and no joy.

Didn't try suggestion #2 because everything else works fine in IE8 except
this topic. I really don't want to do a reset and have to set everything
back again. But curiosity may get me on this one later on, who knows?

As for suggestion #3, this is a little complicated so I didn't try it.
Sorry...

I guess I will have to live with this for now...

Again thanks,

Mark

> Assuming WinXP SP3 & IE7 or IE8:
>
> 1. IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type in
>
> nameof.domain [e.g., live.com; microsoft.com]
>
> and Allow cookies & test.
>
> 2. If no joy, eset IE Advanced settings
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737), reboot & test.
>
> 3. If still no joy, perhaps see:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/...te-prompt.aspx
>

> MarkC wrote:
>> Not just limited to one website, just random sites. Mainly banking,
>> business, web ordering types of sites.
>>
>>> What website?

Re: Autocomplete List
Let's take another tack:

We're dealing with WinXP SP3, right?

Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install of Windows?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?