Deleting "Suggested Sites" Button

Jim Benet

Deleting "Suggested Sites" Button
How can I permanently delete the "Suggested Sites" button from the IE8
toolbar? Frequently the button returns to the favorites bar even though I
previously delete it.
--
Jim Benet
rob^_^

Re: Deleting "Suggested Sites" Button
Hi Jim,

Try,

Display the Favorites bar (Ctrl+Shift+I) and pin it to the side (for the
time being).

Drag and Drop the Suggested Sites Web slice from the 'Favorites Bar' to the
Favorites Pane to move it from the Favorites Bar.

On the Favorites Pane select the Suggest Sites link you just dropped there
and right click to display the context menu. Select Delete.

You will still see the "Turn on Suggested Sites" button at the bottom of the
Favorites Pane, but if you turn it on now there will be no web slice link on
the Favorites Bar (aka Links folder) for it to update.

The Favorites Bar is a special addon that is used to display web slices (rss
feeds) and normal Internet Shortcuts. Moving a web slice link from the
Favorites bar will stop it synchronizing with the common rss feeds lists
which are stored in the registry.

Regards.

"Jim Benet" <jimbenet@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> How can I permanently delete the "Suggested Sites" button from the IE8
> toolbar? Frequently the button returns to the favorites bar even though
> previously delete it.
> --
> Jim Benet

Jim Benet

Re: Deleting "Suggested Sites" Button
Rob-

I tried what you said and it did get rid of the "Suggested Sites" icon on my
toolbar. But it came back a few days later. So the deletion was not
permanent.
--
Jim Benet

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Try,
>
> Display the Favorites bar (Ctrl+Shift+I) and pin it to the side (for the
> time being).
>
> Drag and Drop the Suggested Sites Web slice from the 'Favorites Bar' to the
> Favorites Pane to move it from the Favorites Bar.
>
> On the Favorites Pane select the Suggest Sites link you just dropped there
> and right click to display the context menu. Select Delete.
>
> You will still see the "Turn on Suggested Sites" button at the bottom of the
> Favorites Pane, but if you turn it on now there will be no web slice link on
> the Favorites Bar (aka Links folder) for it to update.
>
> The Favorites Bar is a special addon that is used to display web slices (rss
> feeds) and normal Internet Shortcuts. Moving a web slice link from the
> Favorites bar will stop it synchronizing with the common rss feeds lists
> which are stored in the registry.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Jim Benet" <jimbenet@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > How can I permanently delete the "Suggested Sites" button from the IE8
> > toolbar? Frequently the button returns to the favorites bar even though
> > previously delete it.
> > --
> > Jim Benet

Rob

Re: Deleting "Suggested Sites" Button
Jim Benet <jimbenet@pacbell.net> wrote:
> I tried what you said and it did get rid of the "Suggested Sites" icon on my
> toolbar. But it came back a few days later. So the deletion was not
> permanent.

Maybe the registry setting was reset when the monthly cumulative update
to internet explorer was installed last week?