internet posts with disguised email address?

Jo-Anne

internet posts with disguised email address?
I just tried to post in Outlook Express to the newsgroup
microsoft.public.security.homeusers and found that it and
microsoft.public.security.virus are no longer available from Microsoft.
Since I haven't yet set up another account, I was going to post my question
through Google Groups. However, I noticed the warning there that my email
address would become public if I posted. Is there any way to disguise one's
email address in groups in Internet Explorer--as one can in OE?

I'm using WinXP fully updated on all of my computers.

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

Michael Santovec

Re: internet posts with disguised email address?
That's up to the forum you are using. It's not really an Internet
Explorer issue since it doesn't know your e-mail address.

But some (most?) forums require you to setup and account in order to
post. It's up to the forum as to whether they hide your e-mail address
and other information.

I don't know about Google groups.

Microsoft doesn't reveal your e-mail address in the forums that it
hosts, such as at
http://answers.microsoft.com

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
> I just tried to post in Outlook Express to the newsgroup
> microsoft.public.security.homeusers and found that it and
> microsoft.public.security.virus are no longer available from
> Microsoft. Since I haven't yet set up another account, I was going to
> post my question through Google Groups. However, I noticed the warning
> there that my email address would become public if I posted. Is there
> any way to disguise one's email address in groups in Internet
> Explorer--as one can in OE?
>
> I'm using WinXP fully updated on all of my computers.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: internet posts with disguised email address?
Thank you, Michael! Google Groups says upfront that your email address will
appear with your post. I guess it's time to set up some sort of way to do my
posting in Outlook Express.

Jo-Anne

"Michael Santovec" <michael@santovec.XXX> wrote in message
> That's up to the forum you are using. It's not really an Internet
> Explorer issue since it doesn't know your e-mail address.
>
> But some (most?) forums require you to setup and account in order to post.
> It's up to the forum as to whether they hide your e-mail address and other
> information.
>
> I don't know about Google groups.
>
> Microsoft doesn't reveal your e-mail address in the forums that it hosts,
> such as at
> http://answers.microsoft.com
>

> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I just tried to post in Outlook Express to the newsgroup
>> microsoft.public.security.homeusers and found that it and
>> microsoft.public.security.virus are no longer available from Microsoft.
>> Since I haven't yet set up another account, I was going to post my
>> question through Google Groups. However, I noticed the warning there that
>> my email address would become public if I posted. Is there any way to
>> disguise one's email address in groups in Internet Explorer--as one can
>> in OE?
>>
>> I'm using WinXP fully updated on all of my computers.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

FromTheRafters

Re: internet posts with disguised email address?
Use a free 'throw-away' e-mail account - it helps to have one anyway.

At this point, it would be easier to just sign up to a free usenet
server.

> Thank you, Michael! Google Groups says upfront that your email address
> will appear with your post. I guess it's time to set up some sort of
> way to do my posting in Outlook Express.
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "Michael Santovec" <michael@santovec.XXX> wrote in message
>> That's up to the forum you are using. It's not really an Internet
>> Explorer issue since it doesn't know your e-mail address.
>>
>> But some (most?) forums require you to setup and account in order to
>> post. It's up to the forum as to whether they hide your e-mail
>> address and other information.
>>
>> I don't know about Google groups.
>>
>> Microsoft doesn't reveal your e-mail address in the forums that it
>> hosts, such as at
>> http://answers.microsoft.com
>>

>> --
>>
>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>>

>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> I just tried to post in Outlook Express to the newsgroup
>>> microsoft.public.security.homeusers and found that it and
>>> microsoft.public.security.virus are no longer available from
>>> Microsoft. Since I haven't yet set up another account, I was going
>>> to post my question through Google Groups. However, I noticed the
>>> warning there that my email address would become public if I posted.
>>> Is there any way to disguise one's email address in groups in
>>> Internet Explorer--as one can in OE?
>>>
>>> I'm using WinXP fully updated on all of my computers.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

Bruce Hagen

Re: internet posts with disguised email address?
Try this news server, Jo-Anne. I just set it up and it carries the groups
I had that were removed. You have to register with your real address, but
you can still use your munged address when you post.

Eternal-September
http://www.eternal-september.org/

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>I just tried to post in Outlook Express to the newsgroup
>microsoft.public.security.homeusers and found that it and
>microsoft.public.security.virus are no longer available from Microsoft.
>Since I haven't yet set up another account, I was going to post my
>question through Google Groups. However, I noticed the warning there that
>my email address would become public if I posted. Is there any way to
>disguise one's email address in groups in Internet Explorer--as one can
>in OE?
>
> I'm using WinXP fully updated on all of my computers.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: internet posts with disguised email address?
Thank you! Now that I know Bruce has set up a usenet server, that's where
I'll go.

Jo-Anne

"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> Use a free 'throw-away' e-mail account - it helps to have one anyway.
>
> At this point, it would be easier to just sign up to a free usenet server.
>
> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you, Michael! Google Groups says upfront that your email address
>> will appear with your post. I guess it's time to set up some sort of way
>> to do my posting in Outlook Express.
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Michael Santovec" <michael@santovec.XXX> wrote in message
>>> That's up to the forum you are using. It's not really an Internet
>>> Explorer issue since it doesn't know your e-mail address.
>>>
>>> But some (most?) forums require you to setup and account in order to
>>> post. It's up to the forum as to whether they hide your e-mail address
>>> and other information.
>>>
>>> I don't know about Google groups.
>>>
>>> Microsoft doesn't reveal your e-mail address in the forums that it
>>> hosts, such as at
>>> http://answers.microsoft.com
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

Jo-Anne

Re: internet posts with disguised email address?
Thank you, Bruce! I'll do that by tomorrow!

Jo-Anne

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Try this news server, Jo-Anne. I just set it up and it carries the groups
> I had that were removed. You have to register with your real address, but
> you can still use your munged address when you post.
>
> Eternal-September
> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>I just tried to post in Outlook Express to the newsgroup
>>microsoft.public.security.homeusers and found that it and
>>microsoft.public.security.virus are no longer available from Microsoft.
>>Since I haven't yet set up another account, I was going to post my
>>question through Google Groups. However, I noticed the warning there that
>>my email address would become public if I posted. Is there any way to
>>disguise one's email address in groups in Internet Explorer--as one can in
>>OE?
>>
>> I'm using WinXP fully updated on all of my computers.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

FromTheRafters

Re: internet posts with disguised email address?
That's the same one I use (though not for this post) - it has been
'fairly' reliable.

> Thank you! Now that I know Bruce has set up a usenet server, that's
> where I'll go.
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> Use a free 'throw-away' e-mail account - it helps to have one anyway.
>>
>> At this point, it would be easier to just sign up to a free usenet
>> server.
>>
>> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you, Michael! Google Groups says upfront that your email
>>> address will appear with your post. I guess it's time to set up some
>>> sort of way to do my posting in Outlook Express.
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

Heather

Re: internet posts with disguised email address?
Just as a word of appreciation, I have used eternal-september since it was
called Motzarella and I can honestly say that it is the best of the free
ones out there. There is a support/tech help group on that server and the
owner (Ray Banana) is very quick to sort things out.

Cheers...Heather

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> Try this news server, Jo-Anne. I just set it up and it carries the groups
> I had that were removed. You have to register with your real address, but
> you can still use your munged address when you post.
>
> Eternal-September
> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>>I just tried to post in Outlook Express to the newsgroup
>>microsoft.public.security.homeusers and found that it and
>>microsoft.public.security.virus are no longer available from Microsoft.
>>Since I haven't yet set up another account, I was going to post my
>>question through Google Groups. However, I noticed the warning there that
>>my email address would become public if I posted. Is there any way to
>>disguise one's email address in groups in Internet Explorer--as one can in
>>OE?
>>
>> I'm using WinXP fully updated on all of my computers.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: internet posts with disguised email address?
Help, Bruce! I set up my Eternal-September account, and everything looked
fine--but I can't post. I get "Outlook Express could not post your message.
Subject 'Re: internet posts with disguised email address?', Account:
'news.eternal-september.org', Server: 'news.eternal-september.org',
Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 From: address not in Internet syntax',
Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9."

What did I do wrong?