IE8 error on reset

bluemoonfla

IE8 error on reset
Frustration at Windows 7 continues. New Toshiba L455D-S5976 laptop running
Windows 7 Home premium.
When trying to perform the "reset internet explorer settings" function and
error message appeared with the following:
C:\windows\system32\ieunatt.exe
IE 7.0 Unattended Install Utility has stopped working
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem....

This stayed there for 10 mins, until I used taskmgr to close it

Have gone to IE8 website, thinking I could download clean copy of IE8, only
to receive message saying IE8 is part of Windows 7, and no download links for
it since I am already running it.
If I am running IE8, why am I getting a IE7 unattend.exe error message???
I was resetting IE8 to try to clear anything that may be blocking my update
for Adobe Reader 9.3 which is also failing with error message 1311 source
file not found.
So am I running IE8 or IE7?

Re: IE8 error on reset
Is it Win7 64-bit?

Reset Fix It KB923737 is not supported in Win7. See this page instead:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Troubleshoot Adobe Reader installation for Windows
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403923.html

Adobe Reader Support Forum
http://forums.adobe.com/community/ad...s/adobe_reader

bluemoonfla wrote:
> Frustration at Windows 7 continues. New Toshiba L455D-S5976 laptop running
> Windows 7 Home premium.
> When trying to perform the "reset internet explorer settings" function and
> error message appeared with the following:
> C:\windows\system32\ieunatt.exe
> IE 7.0 Unattended Install Utility has stopped working
> Windows is checking for a solution to the problem....
>
> This stayed there for 10 mins, until I used taskmgr to close it
>
> Have gone to IE8 website, thinking I could download clean copy of IE8,
> only
> to receive message saying IE8 is part of Windows 7, and no download links
> for it since I am already running it.
> If I am running IE8, why am I getting a IE7 unattend.exe error message???
> I was resetting IE8 to try to clear anything that may be blocking my
> update
> for Adobe Reader 9.3 which is also failing with error message 1311 source
> file not found.
> So am I running IE8 or IE7?

rob^_^

Re: IE8 error on reset
Hi BM,

Go to get.adobe.com/reader/

And download and install the latest version from there.... they have had
multiple updates in the past few months and have changed the way they update
their software... It may be that your current version is looking in an old
location for the latest update.

The C:\windows\system32\ieunatt.exe error is probably occurring because you
have an open connection to the Adobe update servers left open that is poling
their servers and stopping the IE Reset from gaining exclusive elevated
access to the IE Registry settings.

Once you install the latest Adobe reader update, you could try the IE Reset
again, but I would not worry about it until the next time you need to use
it... i am expecting that the correct Adobe update will make THAT issue
disappear.

Regards.