history question

wolfarlis21

history question
hi, is it possible for for a webpage to appear in your history if you havent
looked at it.
its not just one page but several and its not pop ups
also is it possible for someone on your wireless network to look at a page
on their computer and it show up on your history on your computer?
im thinking the answer to both these questions is no but just wanted to check
many thanks
Dave
Rob

Re: history question
wolfarlis21 <wolfarlis21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> hi, is it possible for for a webpage to appear in your history if you havent
> looked at it.
> its not just one page but several and its not pop ups
> also is it possible for someone on your wireless network to look at a page
> on their computer and it show up on your history on your computer?
> im thinking the answer to both these questions is no but just wanted to check
> many thanks

On a Windows system, anything can happen. It is wellknown that not only
the operating system is a willing host for all kinds of unwanted software
that takes over your computer, but even the applications for it (like
Internet Explorer) are designed to easily incorporate "add-ons" that
make the whole program unstable and make it do things you don't want.

Look at the boilerplate reply posted in this newsgroup to most questions.
It neatly sums up all things that can go wrong with IE and Windows.
(and apparently the system was designed from the ground up to allow
such mishaps to happen)
Twayne

Re: history question
In news:3725C6DA-5682-4C33-A022-053895C4B828@microsoft.com,
wolfarlis21 <wolfarlis21@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> hi, is it possible for for a webpage to appear in your
> history if you havent looked at it.

Yes, if your security is such that it has allowed someone in to use your
resources. If you were compromised iit could even have been simply copied
there and not actually visited. You would have to have pretty serious
Security issues for this to occur; as in, none.
No if you're using passworded (not defaults) apps, like your router; of
if you have a firewall to prevent it or any of a gazillion other things that
preven it.

> its not just one page but several and its not pop ups
> also is it possible for someone on your wireless network to
> look at a page on their computer and it show up on your
> history on your computer?

No, not what they looked at; it would only go to their own local disk.

> im thinking the answer to both these questions is no but
> just wanted to check many thanks
> Dave

Bob doesn't know what he's talking about.
Since you gave zero information about your computer this is of course an
educated guess. Without your information nothing more can be said.

HTH,

Twayne`

rob^_^

Re: history question
Hi,

Other programs like MS Messenger use the internet to display content (web
pages) on your computer in other programs (the Messenger 'Today' welcome
screen).

Many IE Addons 'Call Home' regularly to check for updates and/or update your
online history or favorites (GTB...<wink>).

Usually if you look hard enough, you can find settings for these third-party
products to turn off these opt-out 'freechurs'... oh... a biggie is that
many web sites are cashing in on the popularity of Social Networking sites
and including 'freechurs' on their own web sites that talk to other web
sites that you may have visited or are a member of. (see lamebook.com )

From your IE History pane you should be able to identify the domain of those
'hidden' web sites and either add them to your Restricted Sites Zone.
Company Network administrators would use a proxy server or add those sites
to their Hosts files.

Regards.