IE8 Missing web page content

Beetle Baily

IE8 Missing web page content
After upgrading to IE8 I lost my Windows XP logo on my desktop. This feature
was available in previous versions by adding "Web Page Content" to the
Desktop Items of Display Properties. As a result, I reverted back to IE7.
After reading all these negative posts, I really see no reason for upgrading
to IE8.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Missing web page content
Now who can argue with that?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Beetle Baily wrote:
> After upgrading to IE8 I lost my Windows XP logo on my desktop. This feature
> was available in previous versions by adding "Web Page Content" to the
> Desktop Items of Display Properties. As a result, I reverted back to IE7.
> After reading all these negative posts, I really see no reason for upgrading
> to IE8.

Dan

"Beetle Baily" <BeetleBaily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After upgrading to IE8 I lost my Windows XP logo on my desktop. This
> feature
> was available in previous versions by adding "Web Page Content" to the
> Desktop Items of Display Properties. As a result, I reverted back to IE7.
> After reading all these negative posts, I really see no reason for
> upgrading
> to IE8.

What sort of "web page content" was it? IE8 doesn't change, as far as I can
see, the desktop settings - you can use bitmaps or jpegs for background
images, and there is still a web tab on the desktop settings to allow web
pages to be added.

A bit more detail in what you had might help someone to tell you why it
doesn't work, or how to get it working.

And as to "all these negative posts", note for IE7 most of the posts in the
group are negative yet you still upgraded to that. With support forums it's
almost always the same - people who have problems, often by their own
making, will post loudly, but people without problems don't post because
they don't need to. All my PCs (I've got 5 at home, and a couple more at
work) are happily running IE8, I wouldn't go back to IE7.

--
Dan

Beetle Baily

Re: IE8 Missing web page content
Hi Dan,

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with IE8. My desktop has no background,
just a blue screen. Under the Web tab of the Desktop Items I have added the
Windows XP logo as a BMP file in a small window, in the upper right hand
corner of the desktop. After upgrading to IE8 this window and logo
disappeared and I was unable to restore it. So I reverted back to a previous
system save with IE7. I don't know what the problem was but I decided to stay
with IE7 for as long as I can.

"Dan" wrote:

> "Beetle Baily" <BeetleBaily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After upgrading to IE8 I lost my Windows XP logo on my desktop. This
> > feature
> > was available in previous versions by adding "Web Page Content" to the
> > Desktop Items of Display Properties. As a result, I reverted back to IE7.
> > After reading all these negative posts, I really see no reason for
> > upgrading
> > to IE8.

> What sort of "web page content" was it? IE8 doesn't change, as far as I can
> see, the desktop settings - you can use bitmaps or jpegs for background
> images, and there is still a web tab on the desktop settings to allow web
> pages to be added.
>
> A bit more detail in what you had might help someone to tell you why it
> doesn't work, or how to get it working.
>
> And as to "all these negative posts", note for IE7 most of the posts in the
> group are negative yet you still upgraded to that. With support forums it's
> almost always the same - people who have problems, often by their own
> making, will post loudly, but people without problems don't post because
> they don't need to. All my PCs (I've got 5 at home, and a couple more at
> work) are happily running IE8, I wouldn't go back to IE7.
>
> --
> Dan

Rob

Re: IE8 Missing web page content
Beetle Baily <BeetleBaily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I'm glad to hear that you're happy with IE8. My desktop has no background,
> just a blue screen. Under the Web tab of the Desktop Items I have added the
> Windows XP logo as a BMP file in a small window, in the upper right hand
> corner of the desktop. After upgrading to IE8 this window and logo
> disappeared and I was unable to restore it. So I reverted back to a previous
> system save with IE7. I don't know what the problem was but I decided to stay
> with IE7 for as long as I can.

Its just amazing for what reasons people will downgrade their software...

Just to have an XP logo on your screen, you use an inferior version
of the internet explorer? Unbelievable...

You could simply use some image manipulation software to create a large
image with the logo in the proper position, and then set that as a
wallpaper. No more need to run IE just to show a logo.
Robert Aldwinckle

> Hi Dan,

> My desktop has no background, just a blue screen. Under the Web tab of the
> Desktop Items I have added the Windows XP logo as a BMP file in a small
> window, in the upper right hand corner of the desktop. After upgrading to
> IE8 this window and logo disappeared and I was unable to restore it.

Sounds like Active Desktop?

> So I reverted back to a previous system save with IE7. I don't know what
> the problem was but I decided to stay with IE7 for as long as I can.

I thought that that feature had been dropped in IE7...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx
(Microsoft search for
"active desktop" "internet explorer 7"
)
<quote>
Active Desktop has been removed from Windows Vista. It is still available on
32-bit versions of Windows 2003 Server and Windows XP SP2 with reduced
functionality.
</quote>

So, probably further reduced in IE8 (maybe even also in
XPsp3--security/obscurity)?...

Unfortunately I can't find any confirmation of that idea and I'm no longer
using XP to test it further.

However, unless there was something really special about your "icon" why not
just allow the normal IE shortcut on the Desktop? That would be functional
as well as decorative. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "Dan" wrote:

>> What sort of "web page content" was it? IE8 doesn't change, as far as I
>> can see, the desktop settings - you can use bitmaps or jpegs for
>> background images, and there is still a web tab on the desktop settings
>> to allow web pages to be added.
>>
>> A bit more detail in what you had might help someone to tell you why it
>> doesn't work, or how to get it working.

Dan

Re: IE8 Missing web page content
Odd, I have IE8 on XP SP3 and I can add a BMP to the desktop fine. Right
click the desktop, click Properties, go to the Desktop tab, click the
Customise button at the bottom left, click the Web tab, then click New and
in the URL box enter the path to the BMP file on your hard disk (or a web
URL, if it happens to be on a website). Once you click through the OK boxes
it will appear right there on the desktop, and then you can drag it to where
you want it by hovering over the image until a small top window bar appears
and then just drag it using this bar.

As PA Bear has stated, this is not something that IE8 has broken, it's
possible that something odd in your configuration has resulted in the
registry setting being cleared during install but it's certainly not
something that you can't fix with a couple of mouse clicks.

Dan

"Beetle Baily" <BeetleBaily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dan,
>
> I'm glad to hear that you're happy with IE8. My desktop has no background,
> just a blue screen. Under the Web tab of the Desktop Items I have added
> the
> Windows XP logo as a BMP file in a small window, in the upper right hand
> corner of the desktop. After upgrading to IE8 this window and logo
> disappeared and I was unable to restore it. So I reverted back to a
> previous
> system save with IE7. I don't know what the problem was but I decided to
> stay
> with IE7 for as long as I can.
>
> "Dan" wrote:
>

>> "Beetle Baily" <BeetleBaily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After upgrading to IE8 I lost my Windows XP logo on my desktop. This
>> > feature
>> > was available in previous versions by adding "Web Page Content" to the
>> > Desktop Items of Display Properties. As a result, I reverted back to
>> > IE7.
>> > After reading all these negative posts, I really see no reason for
>> > upgrading
>> > to IE8.

>> What sort of "web page content" was it? IE8 doesn't change, as far as I
>> can
>> see, the desktop settings - you can use bitmaps or jpegs for background
>> images, and there is still a web tab on the desktop settings to allow web
>> pages to be added.
>>
>> A bit more detail in what you had might help someone to tell you why it
>> doesn't work, or how to get it working.
>>
>> And as to "all these negative posts", note for IE7 most of the posts in
>> the
>> group are negative yet you still upgraded to that. With support forums
>> it's
>> almost always the same - people who have problems, often by their own
>> making, will post loudly, but people without problems don't post because
>> they don't need to. All my PCs (I've got 5 at home, and a couple more at
>> work) are happily running IE8, I wouldn't go back to IE7.
>>
>> --
>> Dan

Beetle Baily

Re: IE8 Missing web page content
Thank you Dan and Robert for taking the time to analyse my problem. I'll give
IE8 another try when I have some time and post the results. Thanks again for
your help.

"Dan" wrote:

> Odd, I have IE8 on XP SP3 and I can add a BMP to the desktop fine. Right
> click the desktop, click Properties, go to the Desktop tab, click the
> Customise button at the bottom left, click the Web tab, then click New and
> in the URL box enter the path to the BMP file on your hard disk (or a web
> URL, if it happens to be on a website). Once you click through the OK boxes
> it will appear right there on the desktop, and then you can drag it to where
> you want it by hovering over the image until a small top window bar appears
> and then just drag it using this bar.
>
> As PA Bear has stated, this is not something that IE8 has broken, it's
> possible that something odd in your configuration has resulted in the
> registry setting being cleared during install but it's certainly not
> something that you can't fix with a couple of mouse clicks.
>
> Dan
>

> "Beetle Baily" <BeetleBaily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > I'm glad to hear that you're happy with IE8. My desktop has no background,
> > just a blue screen. Under the Web tab of the Desktop Items I have added
> > the
> > Windows XP logo as a BMP file in a small window, in the upper right hand
> > corner of the desktop. After upgrading to IE8 this window and logo
> > disappeared and I was unable to restore it. So I reverted back to a
> > previous
> > system save with IE7. I don't know what the problem was but I decided to
> > stay
> > with IE7 for as long as I can.
> >
> > "Dan" wrote:
> >

> >> "Beetle Baily" <BeetleBaily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> What sort of "web page content" was it? IE8 doesn't change, as far as I
> >> can
> >> see, the desktop settings - you can use bitmaps or jpegs for background
> >> images, and there is still a web tab on the desktop settings to allow web
> >> pages to be added.
> >>
> >> A bit more detail in what you had might help someone to tell you why it
> >> doesn't work, or how to get it working.
> >>
> >> And as to "all these negative posts", note for IE7 most of the posts in
> >> the
> >> group are negative yet you still upgraded to that. With support forums
> >> it's
> >> almost always the same - people who have problems, often by their own
> >> making, will post loudly, but people without problems don't post because
> >> they don't need to. All my PCs (I've got 5 at home, and a couple more at
> >> work) are happily running IE8, I wouldn't go back to IE7.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dan
> >>

> .

Dan

"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

> As PA Bear has stated,

Sorry, I mean to say Robert Aldwinckle ... that's what I get for reading and
writing with multiple messages at the same time ¬_¬

--
Dan