New tab display does not display "Most Visited sites"

DontKnow

New tab display does not display "Most Visited sites"
Hi Guys,

I have IE8 and Windows 7, I use to have all of the most visited websites
displayed as thumbnails when I selected a new tab on IE8, but now I do not
have this displayed.

Does anyone know what I am to do to have this returned?? Is there a
checkbox that needs to be selected and has been unchecked or something??

I do not know as my 6 year old son has been playing with my computer and he
doesn't rememeber how to return it to the way that it was!! I am sure that
some may have been in this predicament before??

many thanks for your help in advance!!

Cheers,
Don Varnau

Re: New tab display does not display "Most Visited sites"
Hi,
That was a feature of the Google toolbar. Google has removed the feature
from the Internet Explorer version of the toolbar. It is still available on
Firefox and Chrome.

See: http://www.google.com/support/toolba...&answer=115561

For more information, diatribes and opinions, see:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8-f20b98b99a94
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"DontKnow" <DontKnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have IE8 and Windows 7, I use to have all of the most visited websites
> displayed as thumbnails when I selected a new tab on IE8, but now I do not
> have this displayed.
>
> Does anyone know what I am to do to have this returned?? Is there a
> checkbox that needs to be selected and has been unchecked or something??
>
> I do not know as my 6 year old son has been playing with my computer and

he
> doesn't rememeber how to return it to the way that it was!! I am sure that
> some may have been in this predicament before??
>
> many thanks for your help in advance!!
>
> Cheers,

DontKnow

Re: New tab display does not display "Most Visited sites"
Hi Don,

many thanks for the update.. I must say I too am disappointed the Microsoft
discontinued the use of these tools!! I found them very handy indeed!!

many thnaks again!!

Cheers,

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> That was a feature of the Google toolbar. Google has removed the feature
> from the Internet Explorer version of the toolbar. It is still available on
> Firefox and Chrome.
>
> See: http://www.google.com/support/toolba...&answer=115561
>
> For more information, diatribes and opinions, see:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8-f20b98b99a94
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "DontKnow" <DontKnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I have IE8 and Windows 7, I use to have all of the most visited websites
> > displayed as thumbnails when I selected a new tab on IE8, but now I do not
> > have this displayed.
> >
> > Does anyone know what I am to do to have this returned?? Is there a
> > checkbox that needs to be selected and has been unchecked or something??
> >
> > I do not know as my 6 year old son has been playing with my computer and

> he
> > doesn't rememeber how to return it to the way that it was!! I am sure that
> > some may have been in this predicament before??
> >
> > many thanks for your help in advance!!
> >
> > Cheers,

> .

Dan

Re: New tab display does not display "Most Visited sites"
Microsoft did not discontinue this - it was Google!

Dan

> Hi Don,
>
> many thanks for the update.. I must say I too am disappointed the
> Microsoft
> discontinued the use of these tools!! I found them very handy indeed!!
>
> many thnaks again!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> That was a feature of the Google toolbar. Google has removed the feature
>> from the Internet Explorer version of the toolbar. It is still available
>> on
>> Firefox and Chrome.
>>
>> See:
>> http://www.google.com/support/toolba...&answer=115561
>>
>> For more information, diatribes and opinions, see:
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8-f20b98b99a94
>> -
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>

>> "DontKnow" <DontKnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > I have IE8 and Windows 7, I use to have all of the most visited
>> > websites
>> > displayed as thumbnails when I selected a new tab on IE8, but now I do
>> > not
>> > have this displayed.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know what I am to do to have this returned?? Is there a
>> > checkbox that needs to be selected and has been unchecked or
>> > something??
>> >
>> > I do not know as my 6 year old son has been playing with my computer
>> > and

>> he
>> > doesn't rememeber how to return it to the way that it was!! I am sure
>> > that
>> > some may have been in this predicament before??
>> >
>> > many thanks for your help in advance!!
>> >
>> > Cheers,

>> .

Rob

Dan <news@worldofspack.com> wrote:
> Microsoft did not discontinue this - it was Google!

On request by Microsoft.
Dan

"Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
> Dan <news@worldofspack.com> wrote:
>> Microsoft did not discontinue this - it was Google!

> On request by Microsoft.

I'd just assumed they removed it because it didn't work properly in IE8. I
see now that I was wrong.

It looks like a Google cop out. The article only recommends what an add-on
should or should not do, MS could not have actually forced Google to stop
including this in their toolbar.

--
Dan

Rob

Re: New tab display does not display "Most Visited sites"
Dan <news@worldofspack.com> wrote:

> "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
>> Dan <news@worldofspack.com> wrote:
>>> Microsoft did not discontinue this - it was Google!

>> On request by Microsoft.

> I'd just assumed they removed it because it didn't work properly in IE8. I
> see now that I was wrong.
>
> It looks like a Google cop out. The article only recommends what an add-on
> should or should not do, MS could not have actually forced Google to stop
> including this in their toolbar.

I read somewhere that they removed it after Microsoft pointed them to
that paragraph in the requirements.

But now Google has announced that they are removing Windows from all their
systems.

It looks like there is a war between these companies.