Location of existing icons for internet desktop shortcuts

Bobbi

Location of existing icons for internet desktop shortcuts
I recently installed IE7 and found that it treats the icons for desktop
shortcuts to internet websites very differently from IE6. One problem is
that it insists on replacing the icon I've chosen with the website's
Favicon. I've solved that by making my shortcut read-only (although I
shouldn't have to do that).

The other is that if I open the shortcut properties and click on "Change
Icon", it won't show me where the current icon is located, Instead it
presents a new icon library (shell32.dll). Is there some way to force it to
display the location of the current icon? (which may be some other dll or an
icon I created.)

And how can I find other dll libraries of icons already on my computer?

Bobbi

Don Varnau

Re: Location of existing icons for internet desktop shortcuts
Hi,
XP?
I don't think you can change the directory which opens when you click on
Change Icon.

To find all of the icons on your computer try one of these free programs.
There are probably others. Check the documentation/writeup for OS
compatibility.
IconFinder http://www.brothersoft.com/iconfinder-88884.html
Icon Collector
http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Graphi...Collector.html
Icon Viewer
http://wareseeker.com/Home-Shell-Des....51.zip/396014
ExeIcon
http://wareseeker.com/Graphic-Apps/e....zip/7e01c9ec3
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
> I recently installed IE7 and found that it treats the icons for desktop
> shortcuts to internet websites very differently from IE6. One problem is
> that it insists on replacing the icon I've chosen with the website's
> Favicon. I've solved that by making my shortcut read-only (although I
> shouldn't have to do that).
>
> The other is that if I open the shortcut properties and click on "Change
> Icon", it won't show me where the current icon is located, Instead it
> presents a new icon library (shell32.dll). Is there some way to force it

> display the location of the current icon? (which may be some other dll or

an
> icon I created.)
>
> And how can I find other dll libraries of icons already on my computer?
>
> Bobbi

Jeff Strickland

Re: Location of existing icons for internet desktop shortcuts

"Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
>I recently installed IE7 and found that it treats the icons for desktop
>shortcuts to internet websites very differently from IE6. One problem is
>that it insists on replacing the icon I've chosen with the website's
>Favicon. I've solved that by making my shortcut read-only (although I
>shouldn't have to do that).
>
> The other is that if I open the shortcut properties and click on "Change
> Icon", it won't show me where the current icon is located, Instead it
> presents a new icon library (shell32.dll). Is there some way to force it
> to display the location of the current icon? (which may be some other dll
> or an icon I created.)
>
> And how can I find other dll libraries of icons already on my computer?
>
> Bobbi

I'm not getting what the goal is.

Do you have different icons to open IE to different home pages? I store the
different Websites that I like to visit as a Favorite, then start IE and
open the Favorites menu and select the destination. Are you saying that you
make a new icon for what is effectively a Favorite, and you want each icon
to be different?

PS
I get that you might want the icons to be different so you can tell them
apart. What I can't wrap my head around is that you want icons on the
desktop to go to different Websites.

Bobbi

Re: Location of existing icons for internet desktop shortcuts
Hi, Don-

Well, under IE6, "Change Icon..." used to open to the folder or dll where
the current icon was stored. IE7 opens to some other suggested icon library,
and I can't even tell where the current icon is located. That's stupid, and
I want to return to the previous behavior.

Bobbi

> Hi,
> XP?
> I don't think you can change the directory which opens when you click on
> Change Icon.
>
> To find all of the icons on your computer try one of these free programs.
> There are probably others. Check the documentation/writeup for OS
> compatibility.
> IconFinder http://www.brothersoft.com/iconfinder-88884.html
> Icon Collector
> http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Graphi...Collector.html
> Icon Viewer
> http://wareseeker.com/Home-Shell-Des....51.zip/396014
> ExeIcon
> http://wareseeker.com/Graphic-Apps/e....zip/7e01c9ec3
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> I recently installed IE7 and found that it treats the icons for desktop
>> shortcuts to internet websites very differently from IE6. One problem is
>> that it insists on replacing the icon I've chosen with the website's
>> Favicon. I've solved that by making my shortcut read-only (although I
>> shouldn't have to do that).
>>
>> The other is that if I open the shortcut properties and click on "Change
>> Icon", it won't show me where the current icon is located, Instead it
>> presents a new icon library (shell32.dll). Is there some way to force it

>> display the location of the current icon? (which may be some other dll or

> an
>> icon I created.)
>>
>> And how can I find other dll libraries of icons already on my computer?
>>
>> Bobbi

Bobbi

Re: Location of existing icons for internet desktop shortcuts
Hi, Jeff-

Yes, I want the different icons to go to different web pages. Why is that so
weird? One goes to Google, one goes to my webmail box, one goes to the
weather forecast, one to the LA Times, etc.. I want nine frequently-used
ones on my desktop, not in my favorites folder. And it has always worked.

In IE6, if I wanted to change the icon associated with any shortcut (web or
not), I'd right-click, choose properties, and click on "Change icon..." It
would open and show me the current icon and its location (in my icon folder,
some dll or otherwise). In IE7 it just shows me a new location and new
potential icon library (usually shell32.dll). This happens only for website
folders, not icons which are shortcuts to programs like MS Word. I want the
IE6 behaviour back.

Bobbi

> Hi, Jeff-
>
> Yes, I want the different icons to go to different web pages. Why is that
> so weird? One goes to Google, one goes to my webmail box, one goes to the
> weather forecast, one to the LA Times, etc.. I want nine frequently-used
> ones on my desktop, not in my favorites folder. And it has always worked.
>
> In IE6, if I wanted to change the icon associated with any shortcut (web
> or not), I'd right-click, choose properties, and click on "Change icon..."
> It would open and show me the current icon and its location (in my icon
> folder, some dll or otherwise). In IE7 it just shows me a new location
> and new potential icon library (usually shell32.dll). This happens only
> for website folders, not icons which are shortcuts to programs like MS
> Word. I want the IE6 behaviour back.
>
> Bobbi

I'm not sure it's wierd as much as I think it's impossible. I found that
icons can start IE, but IE always open to the HomePage.

I never used an icon to open a specific site.

Alan Edwards

Re: Location of existing icons for internet desktop shortcuts
Don was right when he said "I don't think you can change the directory
which opens when you click on Change Icon."

I sympathize as the IE6 behaviour was much better but I see no way of
returning to the IE6 behaviour with IE7.

I can only suggest that you gather all the icons you use into a single
folder that is easy to Browse to (as I did).

FWIW, IE8 is the same as IE7 in this respect.

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Sun, 30 May 2010 19:42:21 -0700, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "Bobbi"
<bobbi@example.invalid> wrote:

>Hi, Don-
>
>Well, under IE6, "Change Icon..." used to open to the folder or dll where
>the current icon was stored. IE7 opens to some other suggested icon library,
>and I can't even tell where the current icon is located. That's stupid, and
>I want to return to the previous behavior.
>
>Bobbi
>

>"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> XP?
>> I don't think you can change the directory which opens when you click on
>> Change Icon.
>>
>> To find all of the icons on your computer try one of these free programs.
>> There are probably others. Check the documentation/writeup for OS
>> compatibility.
>> IconFinder http://www.brothersoft.com/iconfinder-88884.html
>> Icon Collector
>> http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Graphi...Collector.html
>> Icon Viewer
>> http://wareseeker.com/Home-Shell-Des....51.zip/396014
>> ExeIcon
>> http://wareseeker.com/Graphic-Apps/e....zip/7e01c9ec3
>> -
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>

>> "Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>> I recently installed IE7 and found that it treats the icons for desktop
>>> shortcuts to internet websites very differently from IE6. One problem is
>>> that it insists on replacing the icon I've chosen with the website's
>>> Favicon. I've solved that by making my shortcut read-only (although I
>>> shouldn't have to do that).
>>>
>>> The other is that if I open the shortcut properties and click on "Change
>>> Icon", it won't show me where the current icon is located, Instead it
>>> presents a new icon library (shell32.dll). Is there some way to force it

>>> display the location of the current icon? (which may be some other dll or

>> an
>>> icon I created.)
>>>
>>> And how can I find other dll libraries of icons already on my computer?
>>>
>>> Bobbi

Robert Aldwinckle

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Don was right when he said "I don't think you can change the directory
> which opens when you click on Change Icon."

What file type are you talking about? Internet Shortcut (aka. .URL) file
still has a Browse... button under its Change Icon... dialog. It looks as
if you can change to a different file using that. ICIM this is observed on
IE8 under W7 X64.

---

Bobbi

Re: Location of existing icons for internet desktop shortcuts
Robert-

The problem is not in changing to a different file or directory. It is
knowing where the current icon exists. Because when the Change Icon... box
opens, it opens NOT with the current icon and its location but a suggested
new icon and icon library (usually shell32.dll). I want to know where the
existing icon is located. In IE6, that's what showed up. It's a problem only
when the shortcut is a link is to a web page. If the shortcut is a link to a
program on your hard disk, it will show where the current icon is located.

Bobbi

> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> Don was right when he said "I don't think you can change the directory
>> which opens when you click on Change Icon."

> What file type are you talking about? Internet Shortcut (aka. .URL)
> file still has a Browse... button under its Change Icon... dialog. It
> looks as if you can change to a different file using that. ICIM this is
> observed on IE8 under W7 X64.
>

> ---

Alan Edwards

Re: Location of existing icons for internet desktop shortcuts
On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:27:01 -0400, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<robald@techemail.com> wrote:

>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>news:fke60694cpuae60t9hvnll3k6rin28kpt2@4ax.com.. .
>> Don was right when he said "I don't think you can change the directory
>> which opens when you click on Change Icon."

>What file type are you talking about? Internet Shortcut (aka. .URL) file
>still has a Browse... button under its Change Icon... dialog. It looks as
>if you can change to a different file using that. ICIM this is observed on
>IE8 under W7 X64.

Hi Robert

Yes, .URL but I think you are missing the Bobbi's point.
Yes, you can browse in IE7/8 but in IE6, you don't have to browse if
an icon already exists. IE6 shows the location of the icon when you
click Change Icon. IE7/8 does not and the OP doesn't know where the
icon is.

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm