Internet Explorer 8 – how to disable default error page for 5xx Se

tn-question

Internet Explorer 8 – how to disable default error page for 5xx Se
Hello,

We are currently testing TMG as a Proxy with the SSL Inspection and have the
problem to see the correct error message in Internet Explorer 8.

When a user goes to a site which is forbidden the TMG generates a “HTTP/1.1
403 Forbidden” message. Internet Explorer shows the inline error message from
TMG. => That’s fine and works.

But when a user surfs to a site with a not valid certificate e.g.
“certificate server mismatch”, TMG returns a “HTTP/1.1 502 Proxy Error”
message to the browser, like the “HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden” message.

The Problem is that the detailed in-line error message (e.g. The
certification authority that issued the SSL server certificate....) from TMG
isn’t shown to the user in Internet Explorer 8.

It looks like Internet Explorer hijacks the error message of 5xx server
errors and shows it’s own one “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage;
what you can try: "Diagnose Connection Problems"". If you capture the
response, the Line-based-text data shows the detailed error message but it
isn’t displayed by IE8.

What we tried:

•Disabled “show friendly error messages”.
•Internet Explorer 7 works, 5xx error messages are displayed in detail.
•Firefox (3.6.3) has the same Problem as IE8, only the default Firefox error
message is shown.

Does anyone know how disable the default error page from IE8, so that the
detailed information from the server is also shown?

Thanks
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Internet Explorer 8 – how to disable default error page for 5xx Se

"tn-question" <tn-question@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We are currently testing TMG as a Proxy with the SSL Inspection and have
> the
> problem to see the correct error message in Internet Explorer 8.
>
> When a user goes to a site which is forbidden the TMG generates a
> “HTTP/1.1
> 403 Forbidden” message. Internet Explorer shows the inline error message
> from
> TMG. => That’s fine and works.
>
> But when a user surfs to a site with a not valid certificate e.g.
> “certificate server mismatch”, TMG returns a “HTTP/1.1 502 Proxy Error”
> message to the browser, like the “HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden” message.
>
> The Problem is that the detailed in-line error message (e.g. The
> certification authority that issued the SSL server certificate....) from
> TMG
> isn’t shown to the user in Internet Explorer 8.
>

> It looks like Internet Explorer hijacks the error message of 5xx server
> errors and shows it’s own one “Internet Explorer cannot display the
> webpage;
> what you can try: "Diagnose Connection Problems"". If you capture the
> response, the Line-based-text data shows the detailed error message but it
> isn’t displayed by IE8.
>
> What we tried:
>
> •Disabled “show friendly error messages”.
> •Internet Explorer 7 works, 5xx error messages are displayed in detail.
> •Firefox (3.6.3) has the same Problem as IE8, only the default Firefox
> error
> message is shown.
>

> Does anyone know how disable the default error page from IE8, so that the
> detailed information from the server is also shown?
>
> Thanks

Is your message long enough? ; )

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294807

(Microsoft search for
HTTP Friendly MSDN
)

<quote>
Method 3
Use an ISAPI filter that forces the content length of all HTTP 500 responses
to be larger than 512 bytes, effectively padding all 500 responses so that
they are large enough to override the "friendly" error setting in Internet
Explorer 5.x and 6.x.
</quote>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle