Opening Home Page with Full Screen

Pat

Opening Home Page with Full Screen
Really stupid question and don't even know where to post it. I have Windows
7. How do I get a full screen (instantly) when clicking on my home page
(Yahoo). I shouldn't have to go to View and select Full Screen every time.
It just recently started doing this...opening with a small "slit" of a
screen. Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to post.
Jeff Strickland

Re: Opening Home Page with Full Screen

"Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6AC04AE-370D-4018-A28E-F5D855BBFC88@microsoft.com...
> Really stupid question and don't even know where to post it. I have
> Windows
> 7. How do I get a full screen (instantly) when clicking on my home page
> (Yahoo). I shouldn't have to go to View and select Full Screen every
> time.
> It just recently started doing this...opening with a small "slit" of a
> screen. Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

You can Right Click the icon and choose Properties, and select Maximized in
the Run dropdown box.

This will cause IE to open in as close to full screen as you can get without
being full screen. If Normal is selected, then the window will be less than
full screen, and you can use the View Menu to go to full screen. But, if the
window opens maximized, then you probably won't need full screen anyway.

Re: Opening Home Page with Full Screen
F11

Pat wrote:
> Really stupid question and don't even know where to post it. I have
> Windows
> 7. How do I get a full screen (instantly) when clicking on my home page
> (Yahoo). I shouldn't have to go to View and select Full Screen every
> time.
> It just recently started doing this...opening with a small "slit" of a
> screen. Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

Jeff Strickland

Re: Opening Home Page with Full Screen
While F11 will invoke Full Screen, by reading his description of the
trouble, he's opening in a Normal window that's been pushed down to a small
size. I think that what he really needs is to force the window ot open
Maximized, so it fills the screen.

To do this, right-coick the icon and choose Properties, then in the Run box
select Maximized.

> F11
>
> Pat wrote:
>> Really stupid question and don't even know where to post it. I have
>> Windows
>> 7. How do I get a full screen (instantly) when clicking on my home page
>> (Yahoo). I shouldn't have to go to View and select Full Screen every
>> time.
>> It just recently started doing this...opening with a small "slit" of a
>> screen. Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

Pat

Re: Opening Home Page with Full Screen
Yes, F11 enlarges the screen as does selecting "Maximize" in the upper right
corner of the screen. When I click on Properties there is no "Maximize"
option. I'm trying to eliminate that extra step. What I am wanting is for
the full screen to display when I click on the Yahoo icon as it always did in
the past. What I get is a very narrow, long slit (about one inch by the
width of the screen.)

> Yes, F11 enlarges the screen as does selecting "Maximize" in the upper
> right
> corner of the screen. When I click on Properties there is no "Maximize"
> option. I'm trying to eliminate that extra step. What I am wanting is
> for
> the full screen to display when I click on the Yahoo icon as it always did
> in
> the past. What I get is a very narrow, long slit (about one inch by the
> width of the screen.)

That means the window is opening as a "Normal Window" that has been resized.
That shape was remembered from a previous closing of the application, and
you can change it by resizing and then closing and restarting the
application. But, what you really want is to change the behavior when an
application starts.

This is changed by doing a Right Click ON THE ICON THAT STARTS THE PROGRAM,
then on the dialog box that opens there is a dropdown box that's labelled as
Run. Select the down arrow to open the box and change the selected option
from "Normal window" to "Maximized".

This will force the application -- any application but we're working on
Internet Explorer -- to open in such a fashion as to fill the screen.

From what you said earlier, "When I click Properties there is no "Maximize"
option," then I assume you're clicking File>Properties from within IE. You
must right click the icon and pick Properties from the dialog box that
opens, but you are clicking File>Properties from within the application
after it is already open.

Re: Opening Home Page with Full Screen
Full screen (AKA kiosk mode) and maximized are not the same things.

Close all but one (1) of these smaller windows. "Grab" the corners of the
remaining window with your cursor and "stretch" it to the desired size but
do NOT maximize it! Now close the resized window.

The resized window MUST be the last window closed in order for its size to
be remembered.

Or you can install IE New Window Maximizer and forget about it!
http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/
--
~PA Bear

> Full screen (AKA kiosk mode) and maximized are not the same things.
>
> Close all but one (1) of these smaller windows. "Grab" the corners of the
> remaining window with your cursor and "stretch" it to the desired size but
> do NOT maximize it! Now close the resized window.
>
> The resized window MUST be the last window closed in order for its size to
> be remembered.

???

Full Screen and Maximized are the same thing except in Full Screen, the
Title Bar and the Task Bar are removed.

No matter if IE opens in a Normal Window or opens Maximized, pressing F11
will force Full Screen display.

The OP really wants Maximized so the display fills the screen instead of
being constrained to a narrow strip that came about by resizing the window.
He wants Maximized, not Full Screen.

Full Screen is a PITA because you can't simply click out to another
application. You must press F11 again to get to a place where the Task Bar
shows, and then navigate away to the desired application.

Pat

Re: Opening Home Page with Full Screen
Thank you. I changed from Normal Window to Maximize after right-clicking on
the IE icon. On my desktop I have the IE icon and also the My Yahoo (my
homepage) icon. Clicking on the latter still produces the small slit screen
(which is the very top of the Yahoo page). However, clicking on the IE icon
opens full screen. So, rather than frustrate myself by trying to open the
homepage as I have for years, I simply need to change my ways and open it
with the IE icon. Thanks again.

"Jeff Strickland" wrote:

> "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, F11 enlarges the screen as does selecting "Maximize" in the upper
> > right
> > corner of the screen. When I click on Properties there is no "Maximize"
> > option. I'm trying to eliminate that extra step. What I am wanting is
> > for
> > the full screen to display when I click on the Yahoo icon as it always did
> > in
> > the past. What I get is a very narrow, long slit (about one inch by the
> > width of the screen.)
> >

> That means the window is opening as a "Normal Window" that has been resized.
> That shape was remembered from a previous closing of the application, and
> you can change it by resizing and then closing and restarting the
> application. But, what you really want is to change the behavior when an
> application starts.
>
> This is changed by doing a Right Click ON THE ICON THAT STARTS THE PROGRAM,
> then on the dialog box that opens there is a dropdown box that's labelled as
> Run. Select the down arrow to open the box and change the selected option
> from "Normal window" to "Maximized".
>
> This will force the application -- any application but we're working on
> Internet Explorer -- to open in such a fashion as to fill the screen.
>
> From what you said earlier, "When I click Properties there is no "Maximize"
> option," then I assume you're clicking File>Properties from within IE. You
> must right click the icon and pick Properties from the dialog box that
> opens, but you are clicking File>Properties from within the application
> after it is already open.
>

> .

Pat

Re: Opening Home Page with Full Screen
Well, that was easy! (New IE Window Maximizer) Many thanks PA Bear!