Security restrictions on desktop copy of website

Bobbi

Security restrictions on desktop copy of website
I'm a 2-bit webmaster. I have a copy of the website on my desktop. Having
just installed Win XP Service Pack 3, IE7 and other windows updates, I find
that certain security settings have apparently been changed. When I open the
web home page on my desktop, I get the message that IE is blocking scripts
and ActiveX controls, but there's no such message when I visit the real
website. I know that the security settings are somewhat different for local
and remote web pages, but I don't know which setting is affecting my viewing
of the desktop version.
-Bobbi

Don Varnau

Re: Security restrictions on desktop copy of website
Hi,
You're encountering the "local machine zone lockdown" feature introduced in
XP SP2.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA

There are three workarounds for this:
1. Give each page the "Mark of the Web"
2. Rename each .HTM file to .HTA while it's on your hard drive. HTA files
aren't as restricted.
3. Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to run
in files on My Computer ."
You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security of the XP
SP2 update.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message
> I'm a 2-bit webmaster. I have a copy of the website on my desktop. Having
> just installed Win XP Service Pack 3, IE7 and other windows updates, I

find
> that certain security settings have apparently been changed. When I open

the
> web home page on my desktop, I get the message that IE is blocking scripts
> and ActiveX controls, but there's no such message when I visit the real
> website. I know that the security settings are somewhat different for

local
> and remote web pages, but I don't know which setting is affecting my

viewing
> of the desktop version.
> -Bobbi

Dan

> I'm a 2-bit webmaster. I have a copy of the website on my desktop. Having
> just installed Win XP Service Pack 3, IE7 and other windows updates, I
> find that certain security settings have apparently been changed. When I
> open the web home page on my desktop, I get the message that IE is
> blocking scripts and ActiveX controls, but there's no such message when I
> visit the real website. I know that the security settings are somewhat
> different for local and remote web pages, but I don't know which setting
> is affecting my viewing of the desktop version.
> -Bobbi

Why are you opening your web pages direct off the hard disk? Why don't you
install a web server and use them over HTTP so they replicate the real
website handling? What does your web hosting use? If it's IIS, and you have
XP Pro, install IIS5.1. If it's Apache, download and install Apache. Try to
replicate your hosts environment and view your web pages as they were
intended over a HTTP connection, or else you risk finding things don't work
as you expected; relative links pointing the wrong place usually being the
most prevalent.

--
Dan

Bobbi

Re: Security restrictions on desktop copy of website
Dan-

You're absolutely right, but I'm just a volunteer with minimal serving a
bike club, not a group of paying clients. I want to make this as easy for me
as possible while providing reasonable functionality for the club.

Bobbi