Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Download of IE8

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010
Zygy
 

Posts: n/a
Download of IE8
The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a Yahoo
one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8 to
reinstall it.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010
Dan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Download of IE8

"Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
news:eeEsMzX$KHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
> have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a
> Yahoo one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
> My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8 to
> reinstall it.


All it probably did was set a couple of registry entries to brand IE. These
are simple to remove, a search on Google brings up this page for instance:

http://www.technipages.com/remove-is...-explorer.html


Why did you install the home hub software, especially as you were just
replacing an existing one? As far as I'm aware it's not needed, it just
brands IE.

--
Dan

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Download of IE8
Hi,
This term "Add/Remove" suggests that the OS is XP. If not XP, which version
of Windows?

Was IE8 installed previously?

Is the Yahoo version of IE8 listed in Add/remove as "Windows Internet
Explorer?" Does it appear in the list if you select Show updates at the top
of the Add/remove window?

IE8 information and download link
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
-
Don
[MS MVP- IE]


"Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
news:eeEsMzX$KHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
> have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a

Yahoo
> one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
> My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8 to
> reinstall it.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010
Zygy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Download of IE8
The new Hub is BT's latest and with it one get an installation DVD, which
removes IE8 and installs the Yahoo Internet Explorer, which for instance
does not like one using Google and it will not take one back to a Google
page, whilst one is using it!
"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
news:uVPSn8X$KHA.5168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> "Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
> news:eeEsMzX$KHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
>> have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a
>> Yahoo one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
>> My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8
>> to reinstall it.

>
> All it probably did was set a couple of registry entries to brand IE.
> These are simple to remove, a search on Google brings up this page for
> instance:
>
> http://www.technipages.com/remove-is...-explorer.html
>
>
> Why did you install the home hub software, especially as you were just
> replacing an existing one? As far as I'm aware it's not needed, it just
> brands IE.
>
> --
> Dan


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010
Zygy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Download of IE8
I am still on Vista Business and the IE8 was always installed on my
computer. The IE8 never appeared in the Uninstall Programs either (the use
of Add/Remove is an old habit). Can you tell me whether installing IE 8 from
the link you gave me will:- 1. Remove the Yahoo and 2.will it have all the
latest updates incorporated?
"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
news:uEsJL%23X$KHA.3840@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> This term "Add/Remove" suggests that the OS is XP. If not XP, which
> version
> of Windows?
>
> Was IE8 installed previously?
>
> Is the Yahoo version of IE8 listed in Add/remove as "Windows Internet
> Explorer?" Does it appear in the list if you select Show updates at the
> top
> of the Add/remove window?
>
> IE8 information and download link
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
> -
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
>
> "Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
> news:eeEsMzX$KHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
>> have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a

> Yahoo
>> one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
>> My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8
>> to
>> reinstall it.

>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010
Dan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Download of IE8
My point is that you didn't have to install the Home Hub software - it's not
needed, you can manage the hub from any web browser rather than the BT
software and as you've noticed it forces a branded IE onto your system. You
could have happily just plugged in the hub and used it without putting DVD
anywhere near your PC, all connectivity to the hub is handled by the network
card drivers you already had installed.

As to "does not like one using Google", the IE8 that is Yahoo branded is
just IE8, so it's not the culprit here. It's possible that a toolbar or
add-on installed is incompatible, so first start is to test IE8 in No
Add-ons mode; easy way to do this is to click the Start button and in the
box at the bottom type

iexplore.exe -extoff

If that "fixes" the issue with Google, then there's an add-on causing
problems and you need to test each one separately. You could also try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes

While it says it's for diagnosing freezing or crashing, the utility can
still tell you if any add-ons you have installed are known to cause problems
with IE.

The bottom line is that the IE8 you have now is the same as the IE8 you had
before, it just has Yahoo branding and probably the BT/Yahoo toolbar
installed. Disabling that will probably cure the problems.

Dan


"Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
news:Ojp6ARY$KHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> The new Hub is BT's latest and with it one get an installation DVD, which
> removes IE8 and installs the Yahoo Internet Explorer, which for instance
> does not like one using Google and it will not take one back to a Google
> page, whilst one is using it!
> "Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
> news:uVPSn8X$KHA.5168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
>> news:eeEsMzX$KHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
>>> have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a
>>> Yahoo one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
>>> My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8
>>> to reinstall it.

>>
>> All it probably did was set a couple of registry entries to brand IE.
>> These are simple to remove, a search on Google brings up this page for
>> instance:
>>
>> http://www.technipages.com/remove-is...-explorer.html
>>
>>
>> Why did you install the home hub software, especially as you were just
>> replacing an existing one? As far as I'm aware it's not needed, it just
>> brands IE.
>>
>> --
>> Dan

>




Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010
Dan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Download of IE8
If there's no option to remove IE8 then you can't install it from the link
PA Bear provided.

Have you looked under "View installed updates" in the Program and Features
window? Look for Internet Explorer 8, it should be there, right click and
uninstall it.

However, if the Yahoo branding is not removed during this uninstall,
installing IE8 from anywhere will still result in the branding being there
again. And uninstalling IE8 won't remove any IE add-ons that were installed,
so when you reinstall IE8 they'll still be there too - including the one
causing the problems if that's the cause of it.

Dan


"Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
news:#lIeIVY$KHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I am still on Vista Business and the IE8 was always installed on my
> computer. The IE8 never appeared in the Uninstall Programs either (the use
> of Add/Remove is an old habit). Can you tell me whether installing IE 8
> from the link you gave me will:- 1. Remove the Yahoo and 2.will it have
> all the latest updates incorporated?
> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
> news:uEsJL%23X$KHA.3840@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>> This term "Add/Remove" suggests that the OS is XP. If not XP, which
>> version
>> of Windows?
>>
>> Was IE8 installed previously?
>>
>> Is the Yahoo version of IE8 listed in Add/remove as "Windows Internet
>> Explorer?" Does it appear in the list if you select Show updates at the
>> top
>> of the Add/remove window?
>>
>> IE8 information and download link
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
>> -
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>>
>> "Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
>> news:eeEsMzX$KHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
>>> have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a

>> Yahoo
>>> one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
>>> My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8
>>> to
>>> reinstall it.

>>

>




Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010
Dan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Download of IE8
Oh, one other thing - if the Yahoo IE isn't IE8, then you can simply
download IE8 from the MS site and install it which will upgrade it, if the
Yahoo one is actually a lower IE version. You may still have to remove the
branding though as that is simply a registry setting and is normally
retained during the upgrade.

What does it show as the user agent at http://www.whatismyuseragent.com ?

Dan


"Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
news:Ojp6ARY$KHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> The new Hub is BT's latest and with it one get an installation DVD, which
> removes IE8 and installs the Yahoo Internet Explorer, which for instance
> does not like one using Google and it will not take one back to a Google
> page, whilst one is using it!
> "Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
> news:uVPSn8X$KHA.5168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Zygy" <zygy@commonwealth.com> wrote in message
>> news:eeEsMzX$KHA.5044@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
>>> have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a
>>> Yahoo one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
>>> My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8
>>> to reinstall it.

>>
>> All it probably did was set a couple of registry entries to brand IE.
>> These are simple to remove, a search on Google brings up this page for
>> instance:
>>
>> http://www.technipages.com/remove-is...-explorer.html
>>
>>
>> Why did you install the home hub software, especially as you were just
>> replacing an existing one? As far as I'm aware it's not needed, it just
>> brands IE.
>>
>> --
>> Dan

>




Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Download of IE8
Uninstall Yahoo Browser and any other Yahoo-branded software & reboot.

Zygy wrote:
> The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
> have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a
> Yahoo
> one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
> My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8 to
> reinstall it.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2010
Zygy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Download of IE8
Thank you for replying, but how do I remove the Yahoo Internet Explorer,
when it does not show in the Uninstall Programs?
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:etVZFAc$KHA.5536@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Uninstall Yahoo Browser and any other Yahoo-branded software & reboot.
>
> Zygy wrote:
>> The BT Home Hub I use for connection to Broadband packed up, so I had to
>> have a new one. When I installed it it removed my IE 8 and installed a
>> Yahoo
>> one, which does not appear in the Add/Remove for me to remove it.
>> My question is how do I remove it and where do I find a download of IE8
>> to
>> reinstall it.

>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Download Auto Download Music Organizer 5.79 Vista-Ad-Vid Audio / Video Software Feed 0 04-14-2010 09:30
download now ecm2001 crack torrent rapidshare download nn*pN#HRBF ecm2001 winols cpwin rapidshare torrent microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 0 10-06-2009 21:56
Microsoft removes 2.5 million download limit and extends download window to two weeks. Steve Security News 0 01-13-2009 01:50
wmail doesnot download messages marked for download... Neerav microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 01-04-2008 13:28




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120