IE8 jams perpetually

Ganz Doof

IE8 jams perpetually
I am using IE8 on a WinVista machine and my IE is configured to open several
websites (tabs) when it opens up. Since yesterday, whenever I attempt to
open IE it opens the first tab normally and then IE hangs (with the dreaded
"not responding" error message).

While it is possible that one of the websites it is configured to open
initially has some problem that causes IE to jam, I don't know how I could
eliminate the various tabs, as I can never get the Tools | Options to work
(IE jams before I can get to the menu).

I tried to reinstall IE8 (by downloading the latest version from Microsoft's
site), but it gives me an error message saying that I already have a more
recent version installed.

IE8 does not show up on the list of programs installed on the Control Panel.

So what else can I do to kill the current configuration and start afresh?

Dan

Re: IE8 jams perpetually

"Ganz Doof" <ganz@doof.org> wrote in message
> I am using IE8 on a WinVista machine and my IE is configured to open
> several websites (tabs) when it opens up. Since yesterday, whenever I
> attempt to open IE it opens the first tab normally and then IE hangs (with
> the dreaded "not responding" error message).
>
> While it is possible that one of the websites it is configured to open
> initially has some problem that causes IE to jam, I don't know how I could
> eliminate the various tabs, as I can never get the Tools | Options to work
> (IE jams before I can get to the menu).
>
> I tried to reinstall IE8 (by downloading the latest version from
> Microsoft's site), but it gives me an error message saying that I already
> have a more recent version installed.
>
> IE8 does not show up on the list of programs installed on the Control
> Panel.
>
> So what else can I do to kill the current configuration and start afresh?

First try running in No-Addons mode, from the Start button type

iexplore -extoff

Does this work? If so, then you have an add-on that is not compatible with
IE8 and you will need to test each separately to find the culprit.

Do any of your home pages use Flash? If so, try removing the Flash add-on
and reinstalling, this is one of the most frequent causes of problems.

In No Add-ons mode you should also be able to change your home pages to
remove the one that is stalling IE, however this just hides the problem
rather than finding the cause.

If you can get IE working ok by removing the stalling home page, try
visiting this page: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes
Click on the Run now button, and follow the instructions - this tool can
help identify add-ons or plugins that may cause IE to stall or crash.

You can also reset IE to clear out any settings that may be causing
problems - go to Control Panel and open the Internet Options icon, or run IE
in No-Addons mode and go to Tools > Internet Options. On the Advanced tab
there is a button at the lower right to reset IE - note however that this
will clear out all saved names and passwords, and any options you've changed
in IE. Try to use this only as a last resort.

--
Dan

Re: IE8 jams perpetually
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2)
as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

Internet Explorer freezes or crashes (access page via IE8 32-bit only & run
the Fix It)
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your

it)?