Odd DNS Error Message

Rick

Odd DNS Error Message
This is very strange. I have a newly purchased Windows-7 system and there
is a particular internet site that I have to click on TWICE to access. I
have a shortcut for the site set up, and when I click on the icon the first
time during an IE browser session, I ALWAYS get this message: "DNS Error -
Server cannot be found". When I click on the icon a second time, it
connects with no problem. As long as the browser window is open, I can then
connect and reconnect to this site all I want with no problem.

If I don't use the icon and just type in the site into IE, the result is the
same. The first time I type in the site name, I get the error message.
The SECOND time I type it in, it connects fine, and then it continues to
connect fine for the duration of the IE session.. The site is www.humyo.com
(it is a file storage site), and I have no trouble accessing it from any
other computer. I also have no problem on this computer with any other site
(so far at least). I am using Windows-7 Home Premium and IE 8.0.7600.16385.

Any idea of what's causing this or how to fix?

Re: Odd DNS Error Message
Is it a Win7 64-bit computer?

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer (Win7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ernet-Explorer

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

[I've got more...]

Rick wrote:
> This is very strange. I have a newly purchased Windows-7 system and there
> is a particular internet site that I have to click on TWICE to access. I
> have a shortcut for the site set up, and when I click on the icon the
> first
> time during an IE browser session, I ALWAYS get this message: "DNS
> Error -
> Server cannot be found". When I click on the icon a second time, it
> connects with no problem. As long as the browser window is open, I can
> then
> connect and reconnect to this site all I want with no problem.
>
> If I don't use the icon and just type in the site into IE, the result is
> the
> same. The first time I type in the site name, I get the error message.
> The SECOND time I type it in, it connects fine, and then it continues to
> connect fine for the duration of the IE session.. The site is
> www.humyo.com
> (it is a file storage site), and I have no trouble accessing it from any
> other computer. I also have no problem on this computer with any other
> site
> (so far at least). I am using Windows-7 Home Premium and IE
> 8.0.7600.16385.
>
> Any idea of what's causing this or how to fix?

rob^_^

Re: Odd DNS Error Message
Contact the web site... they need to get their DNS server records corrected
with tucows.

Queried whois.tucows.com with "humyo.com"...

Query error: CouldNotResolveServerName

Regards.

> Contact the web site... they need to get their DNS server records
> corrected with tucows.
>
> Queried whois.tucows.com with "humyo.com"...
>
> Query error: CouldNotResolveServerName
>
> Regards.

I just tried that and got the following:

Registrant:
humyo.com Ltd.
8th Floor, The Economist Building
25 St. James Street
London, SW1A 1HA
GB

Domain name: HUMYO.COM

Administrative Contact:
Team, Domains domains@humyo.com
8th Floor, The Economist Building
25 St. James Street
London, SW1A 1HA
GB
+441234567890
Technical Contact:
Team, Domains domains@humyo.com
8th Floor, The Economist Building
25 St. James Street
London, SW1A 1HA
GB
+441234567890

Registration Service Provider:
services@123-reg.co.uk
08712309525
08709126612 (fax)
http://www.123-reg.co.uk
This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 28-Jan-2009.
Record expires on 12-Dec-2010.
Record created on 12-Dec-2006.

Registrar Domain Name Help Center:
http://tucowsdomains.com

Domain servers in listed order:
NS2.HUMYO.COM 62.44.71.176
NS1.HUMYO.COM 62.44.71.175
NS3.GB2.HUMYO.COM 82.113.153.113

Domain status: ok

rob^_^

Re: Odd DNS Error Message
Sorry... that was my whois provider not being able to do the lookup at
tucows....

Try,

Tools>Internet Options - Security tab, click "Reset all zones to
default".... the site redirects at the root domain to a javascript file
http://62.44.71.189/B/1/Styles/websi...12.css?lang=en

It works fine for me with the default security zone settings. Check your
security setting for META Refresh.

> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Contact the web site... they need to get their DNS server records
>> corrected with tucows.
>>
>> Queried whois.tucows.com with "humyo.com"...
>>
>> Query error: CouldNotResolveServerName
>>
>> Regards.
>>

> I just tried that and got the following:
>
> Registrant:
> humyo.com Ltd.
> 8th Floor, The Economist Building
> 25 St. James Street
> London, SW1A 1HA
> GB
>
> Domain name: HUMYO.COM
>

> Administrative Contact:
> Team, Domains domains@humyo.com
> 8th Floor, The Economist Building
> 25 St. James Street
> London, SW1A 1HA
> GB
> +441234567890
> Technical Contact:
> Team, Domains domains@humyo.com
> 8th Floor, The Economist Building
> 25 St. James Street
> London, SW1A 1HA
> GB
> +441234567890
>

> Registration Service Provider:
> services@123-reg.co.uk
> 08712309525
> 08709126612 (fax)
> http://www.123-reg.co.uk
> This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
> DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.
>

> Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
> Record last updated on 28-Jan-2009.
> Record expires on 12-Dec-2010.
> Record created on 12-Dec-2006.
>
> Registrar Domain Name Help Center:
> http://tucowsdomains.com
>
> Domain servers in listed order:
> NS2.HUMYO.COM 62.44.71.176
> NS1.HUMYO.COM 62.44.71.175
> NS3.GB2.HUMYO.COM 82.113.153.113
>

> Domain status: ok

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Odd DNS Error Message

"Rick" <rick@nomail.com> wrote in message

> Any idea of what's causing this or how to fix?

The host name that you use is an alias for another (canonical) name. If
the canonical name is not used no A (Host) Record will be cached so every
lookup that IE does may have to be a real one. So, as Rob indicated, your
symptom is quite likely to be a sign that your ISP's DNS server doesn't
usually have a record of both names. E.g. it probably has to go to a down
stream DNS host each time for at least one of those lookups but that may be
enough time for IE to conclude that the lookup isn't working.

A fix would be to notify your ISP to see if the lookup could be made more
responsive or simply change your primary DNS address to one which does
permanently cache both names (or is sufficiently responsive otherwise).

To workaround this problem you could try pinging the canonical name (e.g. in
a cmd window):

C:\>ping -n 1 www.gb1.humyo.com

or just pick one of its addresses and use it to add a lookup for your host
name in your HOSTS file:

62.44.71.189 www.humyo.com

The only problem with the latter approach is that you have to remember that
you have done that, so if later you have problems with the same host name,
your first troubleshooting step is to check that that address is still
appropriate for it.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Rick

Re: Odd DNS Error Message

> Is it a Win7 64-bit computer?

It is a 64-bit computer. And I suddenly realized there are two versions of
IE installed - one that is a 64-bit version and one that is 32-bit.
Evidently I am experiencing the problem when I run the 32-bit version. With
the 64-bit version, it brings the site right up.

KCB

Re: Odd DNS Error Message

>> Is it a Win7 64-bit computer?
>>

> It is a 64-bit computer. And I suddenly realized there are two versions
> of IE installed - one that is a 64-bit version and one that is 32-bit.
> Evidently I am experiencing the problem when I run the 32-bit version.
> With the 64-bit version, it brings the site right up.

Add-ons don't run in the 64-bit version of IE, so that would indicate an
incompatible add-on causing your problem. Try disabling one at a time, or
use the quick fix link provided in another post in this thread.

Re: Odd DNS Error Message
Please repost your answer quoting my entire post. Also answer ALL of the
questions I asked of you.