Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link

Dave

Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
I am using:
Windows XP Home, ver 2002, SP3;
IE 8.0.6001.18702

From my Home Page, when I click on a Link, the Link opens and then my Home
page immediately re-opens. I would like to know how to prevent the Home Page
from re-opening.

Thanks

--

Dave

Re: Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
1. Does the behavior persist if start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your

it)?

Dave wrote:
> I am using:
> Windows XP Home, ver 2002, SP3;
> IE 8.0.6001.18702
>
> From my Home Page, when I click on a Link, the Link opens and then my Home
> page immediately re-opens. I would like to know how to prevent the Home
> Page
> from re-opening.
>
> Thanks

Dave

Re: Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
1. System is already running in No Add-ons mode

2. behavior persists after resetting.

3. Trend Micro Internet Security 16.120.1004 . . . subscription is current
and updates are run daily.

4. No . . . Trend Micro was installed when the computer was purchased.

------
Dave

> 1. Does the behavior persist if start IE in No Add-ons mode?

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
> & IE8 in all OSS]

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>

> Dave wrote:
>> I am using:
>> Windows XP Home, ver 2002, SP3;
>> IE 8.0.6001.18702
>>
>> From my Home Page, when I click on a Link, the Link opens and then my
>> page immediately re-opens. I would like to know how to prevent the Home
>> Page
>> from re-opening.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
What third-party tool bars are installed?

Were all Trend Micro Internet Security processes running in the background
when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?

Are you absolutely certain that a Norton or McAfee free-trial wasn't
preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you
never used or Activated it.)

Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP?

Dave wrote:
> 1. System is already running in No Add-ons mode
>
> 2. behavior persists after resetting.
>
> 3. Trend Micro Internet Security 16.120.1004 . . . subscription is current
> and updates are run daily.
>
> 4. No . . . Trend Micro was installed when the computer was purchased.
>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if start IE in No Add-ons mode?

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7
>> & IE8 in all OSS]

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
>>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> Dave wrote:
>>> I am using:
>>> Windows XP Home, ver 2002, SP3;
>>> IE 8.0.6001.18702
>>>
>>> From my Home Page, when I click on a Link, the Link opens and then my
>>> page immediately re-opens. I would like to know how to prevent the Home
>>> Page
>>> from re-opening.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Dave

Re: Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
I do not have any third party tool bars.

Trend Micro was running when IE 8 and SP3 were installed. However, I don't
see how that could be an issue because that was done over a year ago and my
current problem just began three days ago.

Neither Norton nor McAfee were installed on the computer. I ordered it with
the Trend Micro installed.

I have not done a Repair Install.

---
Dave

> What third-party tool bars are installed?
>
> Were all Trend Micro Internet Security processes running in the background
> when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?
>
> Are you absolutely certain that a Norton or McAfee free-trial wasn't
> preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you
> never used or Activated it.)
>
> Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Dave wrote:
>> 1. System is already running in No Add-ons mode
>>
>> 2. behavior persists after resetting.
>>
>> 3. Trend Micro Internet Security 16.120.1004 . . . subscription is
>> current
>> and updates are run daily.
>>
>> 4. No . . . Trend Micro was installed when the computer was purchased.
>>
>>> 1. Does the behavior persist if start IE in No Add-ons mode?
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to
>>> IE7
>>> & IE8 in all OSS]
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>>
>>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
>>> your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
>>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
>>>
>>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
>>> this
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought
>>> it)?

Re: Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
Which was installed first, IE8 (or IE7) or SP3?

Dave wrote:
> I do not have any third party tool bars.
>
> Trend Micro was running when IE 8 and SP3 were installed. However, I don't
> see how that could be an issue because that was done over a year ago and
> my
> current problem just began three days ago.
>
> Neither Norton nor McAfee were installed on the computer. I ordered it
> with
> the Trend Micro installed.
>
> I have not done a Repair Install.
>
> ---
> Dave

>> What third-party tool bars are installed?
>>
>> Were all Trend Micro Internet Security processes running in the
>> background
>> when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?
>>
>> Are you absolutely certain that a Norton or McAfee free-trial wasn't
>> preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you
>> never used or Activated it.)
>>
>> Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Dave wrote:
>>> 1. System is already running in No Add-ons mode
>>>
>>> 2. behavior persists after resetting.
>>>
>>> 3. Trend Micro Internet Security 16.120.1004 . . . subscription is
>>> current
>>> and updates are run daily.
>>>
>>> 4. No . . . Trend Micro was installed when the computer was purchased.

Dave

Re: Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
Not positive, but I think the sequence would have been IE 7, then SP3, and
later upgraded to IE 8. IE 7 was installed on the computer when I bought it.

---
Dave

> Which was installed first, IE8 (or IE7) or SP3?
>
> Dave wrote:
>> I do not have any third party tool bars.
>>
>> Trend Micro was running when IE 8 and SP3 were installed. However, I
>> don't
>> see how that could be an issue because that was done over a year ago and
>> my
>> current problem just began three days ago.
>>
>> Neither Norton nor McAfee were installed on the computer. I ordered it
>> with
>> the Trend Micro installed.
>>
>> I have not done a Repair Install.
>>
>> ---
>> Dave

>>> What third-party tool bars are installed?
>>>
>>> Were all Trend Micro Internet Security processes running in the
>>> background
>>> when you installed IE8 and/or SP3?
>>>
>>> Are you absolutely certain that a Norton or McAfee free-trial wasn't
>>> preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you
>>> never used or Activated it.)
>>>
>>> Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install of WinXP?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
1. Temporarily disable all Trend Micro components (i.e., anti-virus;
anti-spyware; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall.

2. Now uninstall IE8 & reboot twice.

. How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

3. Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com |
Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered
(e.g., KB980182). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
Software updates category on the left-hand side of the scan results window,
install it to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced security.

NB: Do NOT reinstall IE8! Uncheck it & hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

4. Reset IE7's Advanced settings per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

5. Test: Does the behavior persist now?

Dave wrote:
> Not positive, but I think the sequence would have been IE 7, then SP3, and
> later upgraded to IE 8. IE 7 was installed on the computer when I bought
> it.
>
>> Which was installed first, IE8 (or IE7) or SP3?
>>
>> Dave wrote:
>>> I do not have any third party tool bars.
>>>
>>> Trend Micro was running when IE 8 and SP3 were installed. However, I
>>> don't
>>> see how that could be an issue because that was done over a year ago and
>>> my
>>> current problem just began three days ago.
>>>
>>> Neither Norton nor McAfee were installed on the computer. I ordered it
>>> with
>>> the Trend Micro installed.
>>>
>>> I have not done a Repair Install.

Dave

Re: Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
If I uninstall IE8 as instructed in #2, how will I open it as instructed in
#3 ?

---
Dave

> 1. Temporarily disable all Trend Micro components (i.e., anti-virus;
> anti-spyware; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall.
>
> 2. Now uninstall IE8 & reboot twice.
>
> . How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> 3. Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com |
> Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered
> (e.g., KB980182). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
> Software updates category on the left-hand side of the scan results
> window, install it to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced security.
>
> NB: Do NOT reinstall IE8! Uncheck it & hide it ("Don't show me this
> update again").
>
> 4. Reset IE7's Advanced settings per
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> 5. Test: Does the behavior persist now?
>

> Dave wrote:
>> Not positive, but I think the sequence would have been IE 7, then SP3,
>> and
>> later upgraded to IE 8. IE 7 was installed on the computer when I bought
>> it.
>>
>>> Which was installed first, IE8 (or IE7) or SP3?

Dan

Re: Home Page Reopens after connecting to a Link
Step 2 removes IE8 and reverts you back to IE7

Step 3 is using IE7 ...

Dan