Unable to print problem

JGreg7

Unable to print problem
On many websites, when I try to print the web page it simply does not work

When I just select "Print", essentially nothing happens, no error, no print,
nothing.

When I select "Print Preview", I get a blank page and the page count starts
counting and continues up to many hundreds before IE7 crashes. I can prevent
the crash if I exit print preview before it goes over 700 pages. After that
it becomes unstable and will continue counting until it crashes.

Is there any way to fix this?

Using IE7, version 7.0.5730.13CO, on Windows XP, SP2 system.
--
Thank you,
John Gregory
Leonard Grey

Re: Unable to print problem
Web pages are not formatted for printing. Depending on their content,
some web pages will print well, others poorly, and many not at all.

If the web page you are looking at has a 'Print this page' icon (or
something similar), click on that and your browser will be redirected to
a version of the page that is formatted for printing. Another way to
print a web page is to take a screenshot and then print the resulting
..jpeg. You can also try to copy-and-paste the page into an HTML editor
or word processor.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JGreg7 wrote:
> On many websites, when I try to print the web page it simply does not work
>
> When I just select "Print", essentially nothing happens, no error, no print,
> nothing.
>
> When I select "Print Preview", I get a blank page and the page count starts
> counting and continues up to many hundreds before IE7 crashes. I can prevent
> the crash if I exit print preview before it goes over 700 pages. After that
> it becomes unstable and will continue counting until it crashes.
>
> Is there any way to fix this?
>
> Using IE7, version 7.0.5730.13CO, on Windows XP, SP2 system.

Rob

Re: Unable to print problem
Leonard Grey <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Web pages are not formatted for printing. Depending on their content,
> some web pages will print well, others poorly, and many not at all.
>
> If the web page you are looking at has a 'Print this page' icon (or
> something similar), click on that and your browser will be redirected to
> a version of the page that is formatted for printing. Another way to
> print a web page is to take a screenshot and then print the resulting
> .jpeg. You can also try to copy-and-paste the page into an HTML editor
> or word processor.

A well-designed webpage will be formatted for printing automatically
when you try to print it. This can be accomplished by including proper
styles for printing using a media="print" stylesheet.
Tom Willett

Re: Unable to print problem

:
: A well-designed webpage will be formatted for printing automatically
: when you try to print it. This can be accomplished by including proper
: styles for printing using a media="print" stylesheet.

They are far and few between.

JGreg7

Re: Unable to print problem
Thank you all for your responses. I guess I will chalk that up to "yet
another thing that should work...but doesn't".

--
Thank you,
John Gregory

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Web pages are not formatted for printing. Depending on their content,
> some web pages will print well, others poorly, and many not at all.
>
> If the web page you are looking at has a 'Print this page' icon (or
> something similar), click on that and your browser will be redirected to
> a version of the page that is formatted for printing. Another way to
> print a web page is to take a screenshot and then print the resulting
> ..jpeg. You can also try to copy-and-paste the page into an HTML editor
> or word processor.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> JGreg7 wrote:
> > On many websites, when I try to print the web page it simply does not work
> >
> > When I just select "Print", essentially nothing happens, no error, no print,
> > nothing.
> >
> > When I select "Print Preview", I get a blank page and the page count starts
> > counting and continues up to many hundreds before IE7 crashes. I can prevent
> > the crash if I exit print preview before it goes over 700 pages. After that
> > it becomes unstable and will continue counting until it crashes.
> >
> > Is there any way to fix this?
> >
> > Using IE7, version 7.0.5730.13CO, on Windows XP, SP2 system.

> .

Leonard Grey

Re: Unable to print problem
Once you've learned more about how web pages work, you'll understand the
issues involved in making them print. Until then, it's better to not
make rash statements that tend to paint you as less intelligent than you
really are. Capisce?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JGreg7 wrote:
> Thank you all for your responses. I guess I will chalk that up to "yet
> another thing that should work...but doesn't".

Don Varnau

Re: Unable to print problem
Hi,
Is the printer working OK with other programs?

Was the printer installed before IE7? Have you checked the manufacturer's
website for updated drivers?
-
Don
[MS MVP- IE]