minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE

MrJ

minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE
on IE6 I had my menus, commands, & address window all on the same bar. Why
can't I do that with IE8? why is there a 'favorites' button next to my tabs
(even with fav bar disabled) when i have a drop-down favorites list from the
menu bar anyway? ...& why do I need a search window when my home page is a
search engine?

too much redundant crap that I cant turn off.

I want to get rid of the favorites button, the search box, & put the rest on
a single bar... I'd go back to IE6, but Vista wont allow me to view or
remove installed MS prgs like XP did.
Don Varnau

Re: minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE
Hi,
The Quero toolbar will allow you to make *some* of these changes.
http://www.quero.at/
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"MrJ" <MrJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> on IE6 I had my menus, commands, & address window all on the same bar. Why
> can't I do that with IE8? why is there a 'favorites' button next to my

tabs
> (even with fav bar disabled) when i have a drop-down favorites list from

the
> menu bar anyway? ...& why do I need a search window when my home page is a
> search engine?
>
> too much redundant crap that I cant turn off.
>
> I want to get rid of the favorites button, the search box, & put the rest

on
> a single bar... I'd go back to IE6, but Vista wont allow me to view or
> remove installed MS prgs like XP did.

Dan

Re: minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE

"MrJ" <MrJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> on IE6 I had my menus, commands, & address window all on the same bar. Why
> can't I do that with IE8? why is there a 'favorites' button next to my
> tabs
> (even with fav bar disabled) when i have a drop-down favorites list from
> the
> menu bar anyway? ...& why do I need a search window when my home page is a
> search engine?
>
> too much redundant crap that I cant turn off.

You can squeeze it down to 2 lines - I have one with address box and search
box, and one with favourites button, tabs, and command bar. Why do you need
the old style menu? All the useful options from it are replicated in the
command bar and that will happily sit side by side with the tabs.

The favourites button is not part of the favourites bar - that's why when
you turn off the latter it doesn't affect the former. I don't remember the
last time I used the favourites menu - the button is much more useful.

> I want to get rid of the favorites button, the search box, & put the rest
> on
> a single bar... I'd go back to IE6, but Vista wont allow me to view or
> remove installed MS prgs like XP did.

If you want IE6, you'll need to go back to Windows XP. There's no way to
install IE6 on Vista.

You could try the Quero add-on, I've not tried it myself but it apparently
allows more customisation of the toolbars in IE.

--
Dan

bobster

Re: minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE
I agree with the other posters. Quero is your best bet for customizing IE8
the way you want it.

If you don't want/need tabbed browsing, Quero can get you down to two and
possibly one bar. Contact Viktor Krammer at Quero. He is the developer of
the Quero toolbar and will be happy to answer your questions (via email) and
guide you toward your minimalist goal. I have been using Quero for several
years and wouldn't be without it.

www.quero.com

Bobster

"MrJ" <MrJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
on IE6 I had my menus, commands, & address window all on the same bar. Why
can't I do that with IE8? why is there a 'favorites' button next to my tabs
(even with fav bar disabled) when i have a drop-down favorites list from the
menu bar anyway? ...& why do I need a search window when my home page is a
search engine?

too much redundant crap that I cant turn off.

I want to get rid of the favorites button, the search box, & put the rest on
a single bar... I'd go back to IE6, but Vista wont allow me to view or
remove installed MS prgs like XP did.

SC Tom

Re: minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE

"MrJ" <MrJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> on IE6 I had my menus, commands, & address window all on the same bar. Why
> can't I do that with IE8? why is there a 'favorites' button next to my
> tabs
> (even with fav bar disabled) when i have a drop-down favorites list from
> the
> menu bar anyway? ...& why do I need a search window when my home page is a
> search engine?
>
> too much redundant crap that I cant turn off.
>
> I want to get rid of the favorites button, the search box, & put the rest
> on
> a single bar... I'd go back to IE6, but Vista wont allow me to view or
> remove installed MS prgs like XP did.

Mine looks like this with no 3rd party apps: http://tinypic.com/r/5nufbl/6 .
I can't get much less than that.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the search box since I, too, have a search
window for my home page, but I guess I'll have to live with it.
--
SC Tom

bobster

Re: minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE
OOPS, Quero's URL is:

www.quero.at

I should mention that under Quero's "Options/Appearance" is an option to
suppress the favorites button. This allows one to have a one-line header if
you don't want tabbed browsing. The menu toolbar, which has all of the
other stuff you might need can be de-selected, but can be temporarily
invoked by pressing the Alt key -- then automatically returns to its
suppressed state after the next key stroke.

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
[...]

Donald Anadell

"SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote in message

> "MrJ" <MrJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> on IE6 I had my menus, commands, & address window all on the same bar.
>> Why
>> can't I do that with IE8? why is there a 'favorites' button next to my
>> tabs
>> (even with fav bar disabled) when i have a drop-down favorites list from
>> the
>> menu bar anyway? ...& why do I need a search window when my home page is
>> search engine?
>>
>> too much redundant crap that I cant turn off.
>>
>> I want to get rid of the favorites button, the search box, & put the rest
>> on
>> a single bar... I'd go back to IE6, but Vista wont allow me to view or
>> remove installed MS prgs like XP did.

> Mine looks like this with no 3rd party apps: http://tinypic.com/r/5nufbl/6
> . I can't get much less than that.
>
> I wouldn't mind getting rid of the search box since I, too, have a search
> window for my home page, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

See:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...e8-search-box/
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...h-bar-on-ie-7/

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> --
> SC Tom

Jeff Layman

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

> See:
>
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...e8-search-box/
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...h-bar-on-ie-7/
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell

Thanks. At last that annoying Search Box has gone.

--

Jeff

Re: minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE
IE 7 and IE 8 Tweak Utility
This program allows you change tweak settings within IE 7 and IE 8.
Hide/Remove the search bar, command buttons, or the main [menu]
http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.ph...ie-8-settings/

MrJ wrote:
> on IE6 I had my menus, commands, & address window all on the same bar. Why
> can't I do that with IE8? why is there a 'favorites' button next to my
> tabs
> (even with fav bar disabled) when i have a drop-down favorites list from
> the
> menu bar anyway? ...& why do I need a search window when my home page is a
> search engine?
>
> too much redundant crap that I cant turn off.
>
> I want to get rid of the favorites button, the search box, & put the rest
> on
> a single bar... I'd go back to IE6, but Vista wont allow me to view or
> remove installed MS prgs like XP did.

Jeff Strickland

Re: minimalist wants to know: is it possible to get a single bar on IE

"MrJ" <MrJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> on IE6 I had my menus, commands, & address window all on the same bar. Why
> can't I do that with IE8? why is there a 'favorites' button next to my
> tabs
> (even with fav bar disabled) when i have a drop-down favorites list from
> the
> menu bar anyway? ...& why do I need a search window when my home page is a
> search engine?
>
> too much redundant crap that I cant turn off.
>
> I want to get rid of the favorites button, the search box, & put the rest
> on
> a single bar... I'd go back to IE6, but Vista wont allow me to view or
> remove installed MS prgs like XP did.

No, there is no way to get a single menu bar.

I have to wonder (personally) why one would have a monitor so small as to be
interested in a single menu bar, or to be interested in capturing such a
small amount of space. The Tabs take up, what?, maybe 10mm. I believe that
is about two lines of text on the main screen.

Whatever, that's my personal preference, I suppose. The answer to your
question is, No.