Browser still reflecting IE6 !

betty

Browser still reflecting IE6 !
I am using Window XP Home Edition Sp3 with Internet Explorer
Version: 7.0.5730.13.
I upgraded from IE6 a little while ago.

When I go to some web pages they won't let me in saying I have
IE6 and must upgrade.
At the moment I don't want to upgrade to IE8 and am still using
IE7. Will I have to upgrade to IE8?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Re: Browser still reflecting IE6 !

"betty" <address@unknown.net> wrote in message
> I am using Window XP Home Edition Sp3 with Internet Explorer
> Version: 7.0.5730.13.
> I upgraded from IE6 a little while ago.
>
> When I go to some web pages they won't let me in saying I have
> IE6 and must upgrade.
> At the moment I don't want to upgrade to IE8 and am still using
> IE7. Will I have to upgrade to IE8?
>

> Thanks in advance.

Go to http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ and paste the results in the blue box
where it says "Your user agent:". It sounds as though something on your PC
has changed your user agent string so it's corrupt, or to fool sites into
thinking it's IE6.

--
Dan

betty

Re: Browser still reflecting IE6 !
Thanks for reply Dan,

Here's my result - what do I do now?

Your User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
3.5.30729; AskTB5.6)

"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

"betty" <address@unknown.net> wrote in message
> I am using Window XP Home Edition Sp3 with Internet Explorer
> Version: 7.0.5730.13.
> I upgraded from IE6 a little while ago.
>
> When I go to some web pages they won't let me in saying I have
> IE6 and must upgrade.
> At the moment I don't want to upgrade to IE8 and am still using
> IE7. Will I have to upgrade to IE8?
>

> Thanks in advance.

Go to http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ and paste the results in the
blue box
where it says "Your user agent:". It sounds as though something
on your PC
has changed your user agent string so it's corrupt, or to fool
sites into
thinking it's IE6.

--
Dan

Rob

Re: Browser still reflecting IE6 !
betty <address@unknown.net> wrote:
> Thanks for reply Dan,
>
> Here's my result - what do I do now?
>

> Your User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
> 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
> 3.5.30729; AskTB5.6)

That is wrong.
I would try to uninstall that "Ask Toolbar 5.6".
Then check again.
Dan

Re: Browser still reflecting IE6 !
That says you have IE6 - notice the MSIE 6.0 in the string inside the
parentheses.

Did you install the Ask Toolbar before IE7? It's possible that the Ask
Toolbar has overridden your user agent string and so it wouldn't be reset
when you upgraded to IE7. Or maybe the MS User Agent String Utility was used
to switch to IE6 identification for a particular site but was not switched
back.

Go to http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx and click on the "Undo User-Agent
registry overrides" link at the bottom of the list of links. This should
clear the registry settings that are overriding the default user agent
handling in IE.

Dan

> Thanks for reply Dan,
>
> Here's my result - what do I do now?
>

> Your User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
> 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
> 3.5.30729; AskTB5.6)
>

> "Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
>
> "betty" <address@unknown.net> wrote in message
>> I am using Window XP Home Edition Sp3 with Internet Explorer
>> Version: 7.0.5730.13.
>> I upgraded from IE6 a little while ago.
>>
>> When I go to some web pages they won't let me in saying I have
>> IE6 and must upgrade.
>> At the moment I don't want to upgrade to IE8 and am still using
>> IE7. Will I have to upgrade to IE8?
>>

>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Go to http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ and paste the results in the
> blue box
> where it says "Your user agent:". It sounds as though something
> on your PC
> has changed your user agent string so it's corrupt, or to fool
> sites into
> thinking it's IE6.
>
> --
> Dan

betty

Re: Browser still reflecting IE6 !
Thanks Dan, I did that but AskTB5.6 is still there. I don't ever
recall installing the Ask Toolbar and the only place I can find
anything after searching is AskSearch.js in a folder- Mozilla
Firefox in the Components folder. I did install Firefox a few
months ago and uninstalled with Revo because I didn't like it.
So I have no idea whatsoever where it came from.

I have a different result now and see what happ[ens in the
future.

Thanks for help
Kathy

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
That says you have IE6 - notice the MSIE 6.0 in the string inside
the
parentheses.

Did you install the Ask Toolbar before IE7? It's possible that
the Ask
Toolbar has overridden your user agent string and so it wouldn't
be reset
when you upgraded to IE7. Or maybe the MS User Agent String
Utility was used
to switch to IE6 identification for a particular site but was not
switched
back.

Go to http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx and click on the "Undo
User-Agent
registry overrides" link at the bottom of the list of links. This
should
clear the registry settings that are overriding the default user
agent
handling in IE.

Dan

"betty" <address@unknown.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for reply Dan,
>
> Here's my result - what do I do now?
>

> Your User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
> 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
> 3.5.30729; AskTB5.6)
>

> "Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
>
> "betty" <address@unknown.net> wrote in message
>> I am using Window XP Home Edition Sp3 with Internet Explorer
>> Version: 7.0.5730.13.
>> I upgraded from IE6 a little while ago.
>>
>> When I go to some web pages they won't let me in saying I have
>> IE6 and must upgrade.
>> At the moment I don't want to upgrade to IE8 and am still
>> using
>> IE7. Will I have to upgrade to IE8?
>>

>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Go to http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ and paste the results in the
> blue box
> where it says "Your user agent:". It sounds as though something
> on your PC
> has changed your user agent string so it's corrupt, or to fool
> sites into
> thinking it's IE6.
>
> --
> Dan

Dan

Re: Browser still reflecting IE6 !
Ask Toolbar is often installed by other software, you may not have realised
you did so. Try the following instructions to remove it:

http://about.ask.com/apn/toolbar/doc...index.html#na4

The file in the Firefox folder is the Firefox version of the Ask search
add-on, it has nothing to do with IE.

Now you've run that reset, what does http://www.whatismyuseragent.com
showing?

Dan

> Thanks Dan, I did that but AskTB5.6 is still there. I don't ever
> recall installing the Ask Toolbar and the only place I can find
> anything after searching is AskSearch.js in a folder- Mozilla
> Firefox in the Components folder. I did install Firefox a few
> months ago and uninstalled with Revo because I didn't like it.
> So I have no idea whatsoever where it came from.
>
> I have a different result now and see what happ[ens in the
> future.
>
> Thanks for help
> Kathy
>

> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
> 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; AskTB5.6)
> "Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
> That says you have IE6 - notice the MSIE 6.0 in the string inside
> the
> parentheses.
>
> Did you install the Ask Toolbar before IE7? It's possible that
> the Ask
> Toolbar has overridden your user agent string and so it wouldn't
> be reset
> when you upgraded to IE7. Or maybe the MS User Agent String
> Utility was used
> to switch to IE6 identification for a particular site but was not
> switched
> back.
>
> Go to http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx and click on the "Undo
> User-Agent
> registry overrides" link at the bottom of the list of links. This
> should
> clear the registry settings that are overriding the default user
> agent
> handling in IE.
>
> Dan
>

> "betty" <address@unknown.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for reply Dan,
>>
>> Here's my result - what do I do now?
>>

>> Your User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
>> 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
>> 3.5.30729; AskTB5.6)
>>

>> "Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "betty" <address@unknown.net> wrote in message
>>> I am using Window XP Home Edition Sp3 with Internet Explorer
>>> Version: 7.0.5730.13.
>>> I upgraded from IE6 a little while ago.
>>>
>>> When I go to some web pages they won't let me in saying I have
>>> IE6 and must upgrade.
>>> At the moment I don't want to upgrade to IE8 and am still
>>> using
>>> IE7. Will I have to upgrade to IE8?
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> Go to http://whatsmyuseragent.com/ and paste the results in the
>> blue box
>> where it says "Your user agent:". It sounds as though something
>> on your PC
>> has changed your user agent string so it's corrupt, or to fool
>> sites into
>> thinking it's IE6.
>>
>> --
>> Dan

Re: Browser still reflecting IE6 !
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**