Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Upgrade to IE7 or IE8

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2010
Russell Ashenberg
 

Posts: n/a
Upgrade to IE7 or IE8
Dear IE Team

I am using Window XPSp3 and IE6 Sp3 on my machine. I needed top do a system
restore on my Windows recently and IE6 Sp3 has been acting funny. I want to
know if should I upgrade to IE7 or go to the latest version of IE8? Is
there anything I need to know before the upgrade process or issues that I
need to be aware of?

Keep me posted
Russell A


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2010
Jim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade to IE7 or IE8

"Russell Ashenberg" <neshoma@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
news:uKJ%23W8r%23KHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Dear IE Team
>
> I am using Window XPSp3 and IE6 Sp3 on my machine. I needed top do a
> system restore on my Windows recently and IE6 Sp3 has been acting funny.
> I want to know if should I upgrade to IE7 or go to the latest version of
> IE8? Is there anything I need to know before the upgrade process or
> issues that I need to be aware of?
>
> Keep me posted
> Russell A
>

Sorry, IE Team does not live here.

However, it is ill advised to attempt an upgrade to solve existing problems.

If this were my computer, I would solve the IE6 issue(s) before considering
installation of either IE7 or IE8. (And I would skip IE7).

Jim


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010
Don Varnau
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade to IE7 or IE8
Hi,
As Jim advised, you should fix IE6 before upgrading. What problems are you
having with IE6?

How old was the restore point?

Have you been to Windows Update since the restore? Is automatic updates
enabled?

What antivirus program, security suite, etc. is installed and running?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]


"Russell Ashenberg" <neshoma[at]bezeqint.net> wrote in message
news:uKJ%23W8r%23KHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Dear IE Team
>
> I am using Window XPSp3 and IE6 Sp3 on my machine. I needed top do a

system
> restore on my Windows recently and IE6 Sp3 has been acting funny. I want

to
> know if should I upgrade to IE7 or go to the latest version of IE8? Is
> there anything I need to know before the upgrade process or issues that I
> need to be aware of?
>
> Keep me posted
> Russell A


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010
Russell Ashenberg
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade to IE7 or IE8
Tanks for your adivce. I did not mean IE beta team, just IE newsgroup team.
IE6 sometimes hangs on me and have to ctrl, alt, and delete to close it and
restart. I was told to upgrade to the later version of IE and wanted to
know if I shall go to IE7 or IE8?

Russell Ashenberg

> Dear IE Team
>
> I am using Window XPSp3 and IE6 Sp3 on my machine. I needed top do a
> system restore on my Windows recently and IE6 Sp3 has been acting funny.
> I want to know if should I upgrade to IE7 or go to the latest version of
> IE8? Is there anything I need to know before the upgrade process or
> issues that I need to be aware of?
>
> Keep me posted
> Russell A
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010
Russell Ashenberg
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade to IE7 or IE8
The error message I get is this,
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module
unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x6267e4a9.

I do not know where to look to fix this.



Any advice?

Russell Ashenberg



"Russell Ashenberg" <neshoma@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
news:uPyC53v%23KHA.5280@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Tanks for your adivce. I did not mean IE beta team, just IE newsgroup
> team. IE6 sometimes hangs on me and have to ctrl, alt, and delete to close
> it and restart. I was told to upgrade to the later version of IE and
> wanted to know if I shall go to IE7 or IE8?
>
> Russell Ashenberg
>
>> Dear IE Team
>>
>> I am using Window XPSp3 and IE6 Sp3 on my machine. I needed top do a
>> system restore on my Windows recently and IE6 Sp3 has been acting funny.
>> I want to know if should I upgrade to IE7 or go to the latest version of
>> IE8? Is there anything I need to know before the upgrade process or
>> issues that I need to be aware of?
>>
>> Keep me posted
>> Russell A
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade to IE7 or IE8
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:
https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/

Otherwise...

1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
• http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
• http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
• http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
• http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


Russell Ashenberg wrote:
> The error message I get is this,
> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module
> unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x6267e4a9.
>
> I do not know where to look to fix this.
>
>
>
> Any advice?
>
> Russell Ashenberg
>
>
>
> "Russell Ashenberg" <neshoma@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
> news:uPyC53v%23KHA.5280@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Tanks for your adivce. I did not mean IE beta team, just IE newsgroup
>> team. IE6 sometimes hangs on me and have to ctrl, alt, and delete to
>> close
>> it and restart. I was told to upgrade to the later version of IE and
>> wanted to know if I shall go to IE7 or IE8?
>>
>> Russell Ashenberg
>>
>>> Dear IE Team
>>>
>>> I am using Window XPSp3 and IE6 Sp3 on my machine. I needed top do a
>>> system restore on my Windows recently and IE6 Sp3 has been acting funny.
>>> I want to know if should I upgrade to IE7 or go to the latest version
>>> of
>>> IE8? Is there anything I need to know before the upgrade process or
>>> issues that I need to be aware of?
>>>
>>> Keep me posted
>>> Russell A


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010
Russell Ashenberg
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade to IE7 or IE8
I appreciate your advice that I have been hijacked by an infection. I have
had it thoroughly checked by Superantispyware, bitdefender, nod32,
Microsoft malicious software removal and the machine is clean from anything.
So I appreciate your writing to me about an infection, yet this issue has
been a long time issue on my machine and thats why I am writing to see to
upgrade to IE7 or IE8.

Russell A

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23P2PXTw%23KHA.3840@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a
> hijackware infection!
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>
> Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
> dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including
> unwanted software), and adware.
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1
>
> Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:
> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
>
> Otherwise...
>
> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>
> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>
> 2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm
>
> 3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
> • http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> • http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> • http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> • http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>
> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>
>
> Russell Ashenberg wrote:
>> The error message I get is this,
>> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module
>> unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x6267e4a9.
>>
>> I do not know where to look to fix this.
>>
>>
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Russell Ashenberg
>>
>>
>>
>> "Russell Ashenberg" <neshoma@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
>> news:uPyC53v%23KHA.5280@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Tanks for your adivce. I did not mean IE beta team, just IE newsgroup
>>> team. IE6 sometimes hangs on me and have to ctrl, alt, and delete to
>>> close
>>> it and restart. I was told to upgrade to the later version of IE and
>>> wanted to know if I shall go to IE7 or IE8?
>>>
>>> Russell Ashenberg
>>>
>>>> Dear IE Team
>>>>
>>>> I am using Window XPSp3 and IE6 Sp3 on my machine. I needed top do a
>>>> system restore on my Windows recently and IE6 Sp3 has been acting
>>>> funny.
>>>> I want to know if should I upgrade to IE7 or go to the latest version
>>>> of
>>>> IE8? Is there anything I need to know before the upgrade process or
>>>> issues that I need to be aware of?
>>>>
>>>> Keep me posted
>>>> Russell A

>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010
Jeff Strickland
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade to IE7 or IE8

"Russell Ashenberg" <neshoma@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
news:uPyC53v%23KHA.5280@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Tanks for your adivce. I did not mean IE beta team, just IE newsgroup
> team. IE6 sometimes hangs on me and have to ctrl, alt, and delete to close
> it and restart. I was told to upgrade to the later version of IE and
> wanted to know if I shall go to IE7 or IE8?
>



Skip 7 and move straight to 8.

The problem I'm having here is that I don't know how you can have SP3 and
still be running IE6. On any machine where I've migrated to SP3, IE8 is
always installed.







Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010
Dan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade to IE7 or IE8

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:hte6gd$tl7$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> "Russell Ashenberg" <neshoma@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
> news:uPyC53v%23KHA.5280@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Tanks for your adivce. I did not mean IE beta team, just IE newsgroup
>> team. IE6 sometimes hangs on me and have to ctrl, alt, and delete to
>> close it and restart. I was told to upgrade to the later version of IE
>> and wanted to know if I shall go to IE7 or IE8?
>>

>
>
> Skip 7 and move straight to 8.
>
> The problem I'm having here is that I don't know how you can have SP3 and
> still be running IE6. On any machine where I've migrated to SP3, IE8 is
> always installed.
>


IE8 is entirely optional, it sounds as though you've simply agreed to
install it on those PCs. I had SP3 and IE7 on this PC at work for some time,
and a colleague had SP3 and IE6 on their system for a while (there was
business reason to keep IE6 which has since been removed).

--
Dan

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2010
Russell Ashenberg
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Upgrade to IE7 or IE8
thanks Jeff and Dan for your advice. Its very much appreciated.

RussellA
"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
news:%23xixhk1%23KHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:hte6gd$tl7$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>
>> "Russell Ashenberg" <neshoma@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
>> news:uPyC53v%23KHA.5280@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Tanks for your adivce. I did not mean IE beta team, just IE newsgroup
>>> team. IE6 sometimes hangs on me and have to ctrl, alt, and delete to
>>> close it and restart. I was told to upgrade to the later version of IE
>>> and wanted to know if I shall go to IE7 or IE8?
>>>

>>
>>
>> Skip 7 and move straight to 8.
>>
>> The problem I'm having here is that I don't know how you can have SP3 and
>> still be running IE6. On any machine where I've migrated to SP3, IE8 is
>> always installed.
>>

>
> IE8 is entirely optional, it sounds as though you've simply agreed to
> install it on those PCs. I had SP3 and IE7 on this PC at work for some
> time, and a colleague had SP3 and IE6 on their system for a while (there
> was business reason to keep IE6 which has since been removed).
>
> --
> Dan



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Ultimate Upgrade Fails - Freeze at Completing Upgrade(Install) The Primate microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 04-24-2008 00:56
UPGRADE QUESTION: Do you have to have a version of Windows installed in order to install the Vista upgrade? JMI microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 01-21-2008 05:56
Article ID: 933169 The upgrade option is not available when you try to upgrade a computer to Windows Vista, and you receive the following error message: "To upgrade to Windows, the hard disk partition must be formatted as NTFS" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Action Pack Subscriber - How do fresh install with upgrade licence? Upgrade from XP is faulty! TransAction Translators microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 6 08-01-2007 07:44
Upgrade Redemtion Form for Upgrade Version of Windows Vista Busine =?Utf-8?B?UGF0?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-15-2007 07:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:28.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120