Start with no add-ons - confusing information?

Jeff Layman

Start with no add-ons - confusing information?
Win7HPx64. IE8 (8.0.7600.16385)

Like many posters here, I get "Not responding" from IE8 (32 or 64 bit) far
too many times when starting normally. So I have resorted to using "Start
with no add-ons", which solves the problem (never necessary with XPH IE7,
but that's progress I guess...).

But I am somewhat puzzled when using this and then clicking on "Manage
add-on" from the information bar or Tools menu. After populating "Toolbars
and Extensions", it is apparent that these show as in normal use. In other
words, their status is as enabled or disabled in exactly the same way as
though IE8 was started normally (particularly those which run without
permission). Why do these not all appear as "disabled"?

--

Jeff

Don Varnau

Re: Start with no add-ons - confusing information?

Hi,
The status of the add-on (enabled or disabled) is reflecting the normal
state. When you startup with add-ons disabled, they're disabled for that
session.

You should disable all third-party add-ons, then re-enable them one at a
time until the problem returns. The last to be enabled is the troublesome
one. Downloading and installing the latest version of that toolbar/add-on
may resolve the issue.

For troubleshooting information see:
IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Jeff Layman" <jmlayman[at]invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Win7HPx64. IE8 (8.0.7600.16385)
>
> Like many posters here, I get "Not responding" from IE8 (32 or 64 bit) far
> too many times when starting normally. So I have resorted to using "Start
> with no add-ons", which solves the problem (never necessary with XPH IE7,
> but that's progress I guess...).
>
> But I am somewhat puzzled when using this and then clicking on "Manage
> add-on" from the information bar or Tools menu. After populating

"Toolbars
> and Extensions", it is apparent that these show as in normal use. In

other
> words, their status is as enabled or disabled in exactly the same way as
> though IE8 was started normally (particularly those which run without
> permission). Why do these not all appear as "disabled"?
>
> -
>
> Jeff

Jeff Layman

Re: Start with no add-ons - confusing information?
Don,

Thanks for your reply.

But it doesn't resolve the confusion. I was hoping to solve the add-on
problem by starting with no add-ons, and enable each one in turn until the
problem reoccurs (not that simple, unfortunately, as the "not responding"
can occur randomly. It does not always start as soon as an add-on is
enabled. It may start as soon as IE8 is started normally; it may not. It
may occur after one browser window or tab has opened without problem, but
then occurs at the second opening. It may only occur after the fourth or
fifth window/tab has opened. Very frustrating!).

As far as I can see, the link you noted applies to IE7, not IE8. It seems
possible to manage add-ons in IE8 even if it is started with add-ons
disabled. At least, their status can be toggled and remains in the last
state if the box is closed and reopened. However, the information toolbar
(is that its correct name?) still says that IE is running with add-ons
disabled, even if I enable all of them! If the toolbar is correct, then the
"manage add-ons" box is really confusing the issue by apparently having the
add-ons enabled.

It's a pity that starting IE8 with no add-ons doesn't result in the "Manage
add-ons" being greyed out.

--

Jeff

> Hi,
> The status of the add-on (enabled or disabled) is reflecting the normal
> state. When you startup with add-ons disabled, they're disabled for that
> session.
>
> You should disable all third-party add-ons, then re-enable them one at a
> time until the problem returns. The last to be enabled is the troublesome
> one. Downloading and installing the latest version of that toolbar/add-on
> may resolve the issue.
>
> For troubleshooting information see:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Jeff Layman" <jmlayman[at]invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Win7HPx64. IE8 (8.0.7600.16385)
>>
>> Like many posters here, I get "Not responding" from IE8 (32 or 64 bit)
>> far
>> too many times when starting normally. So I have resorted to using
>> "Start
>> with no add-ons", which solves the problem (never necessary with XPH IE7,
>> but that's progress I guess...).
>>
>> But I am somewhat puzzled when using this and then clicking on "Manage
>> add-on" from the information bar or Tools menu. After populating

> "Toolbars
>> and Extensions", it is apparent that these show as in normal use. In

> other
>> words, their status is as enabled or disabled in exactly the same way as
>> though IE8 was started normally (particularly those which run without
>> permission). Why do these not all appear as "disabled"?
>>
>> -
>>
>> Jeff

rob^_^

Re: Start with no add-ons - confusing information?
Hi Jeff,

Try this Fixit from MS

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes

It will enumerate your installed addons and give you a listing of known
incompatible Addon versions
and give you the option of disabling them only.

Regards.

"Jeff Layman" <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Win7HPx64. IE8 (8.0.7600.16385)
>
> Like many posters here, I get "Not responding" from IE8 (32 or 64 bit) far
> too many times when starting normally. So I have resorted to using "Start
> with no add-ons", which solves the problem (never necessary with XPH IE7,
> but that's progress I guess...).
>
> But I am somewhat puzzled when using this and then clicking on "Manage
> add-on" from the information bar or Tools menu. After populating
> "Toolbars and Extensions", it is apparent that these show as in normal
> use. In other words, their status is as enabled or disabled in exactly
> the same way as though IE8 was started normally (particularly those which
> run without permission). Why do these not all appear as "disabled"?
>
> --
>
> Jeff

G. R. Woodring

Date: 5/23/2010 11:42 AM, Author: Jeff Layman Wrote:
> Don,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> But it doesn't resolve the confusion. I was hoping to solve the add-on
> problem by starting with no add-ons, and enable each one in turn until
> the problem reoccurs (not that simple, unfortunately, as the "not
> responding" can occur randomly. It does not always start as soon as an
> add-on is enabled. It may start as soon as IE8 is started normally; it
> may not. It may occur after one browser window or tab has opened
> without problem, but then occurs at the second opening. It may only
> occur after the fourth or fifth window/tab has opened. Very frustrating!).
>
> As far as I can see, the link you noted applies to IE7, not IE8. It
> seems possible to manage add-ons in IE8 even if it is started with
> add-ons disabled. At least, their status can be toggled and remains in
> the last state if the box is closed and reopened. However, the
> information toolbar (is that its correct name?) still says that IE is
> running with add-ons disabled, even if I enable all of them! If the
> toolbar is correct, then the "manage add-ons" box is really confusing
> the issue by apparently having the add-ons enabled.
>
> It's a pity that starting IE8 with no add-ons doesn't result in the
> "Manage add-ons" being greyed out.

Not confusing, really. Think of the breaker box in your home. If you shut off the
"Main" breaker everything will be disabled, even though the breakers for each room
and air conditioner and water heater, etc. are all still in the "ON" position.

If an add-on were to prevent IE from launching, then having Manage Add-ons disabled
in -extoff mode would prevent disabling add-ons individually or in groups then trying
to start in normal mode to isolate the culprit. It may be that more than one add-on
is causing problems, that could account for the problem occurring under inconsistent
conditions.

--
G. R. Woodring
Jeff Layman

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Try this Fixit from MS
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes
>
> It will enumerate your installed addons and give you a listing of known
> incompatible Addon versions
> and give you the option of disabling them only.

Thanks, Rob. But all have "Issue not present" against them. I even ran it
when IE8 was in a "Not responding" state.

But it also reports I have AMD64 architecture when I have an Intel T4300
processor!

--

Jeff

Jeff Layman

"G. R. Woodring" <tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg> wrote in message

It may be that more than one add-on
> is causing problems, that could account for the problem occurring under
> inconsistent conditions.

Good point. I hadn't considered that possibility.

--

Jeff

KCB

> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> Try this Fixit from MS
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/ie_freezes_or_crashes
>>
>> It will enumerate your installed addons and give you a listing of known
>> incompatible Addon versions
>> and give you the option of disabling them only.
>>

> Thanks, Rob. But all have "Issue not present" against them. I even ran
> it when IE8 was in a "Not responding" state.
>
> But it also reports I have AMD64 architecture when I have an Intel T4300
> processor!
>
> --
>
> Jeff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
This gives a brief overview of 64-bit architecture, and why it is referred
to that way.