Turning off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8

Handgunner

Turning off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8
I want to turn off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8, but do not have access to the
General Tab in Tools. Is there another way to turn it off?

Thanks in advance,

--
Johnson B.
Bruce Hagen

Re: Turning off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8
What Windows version? It is in Tools | Internet Options | General Tab. Why
don't you have access?

Access to Internet options is also available via the Control Panel.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Handgunner" <Handgunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to turn off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8, but do not have access to the
> General Tab in Tools. Is there another way to turn it off?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> --
> Johnson B.

Handgunner

Re: Turning off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8
I am using Windows XP. The computer is a DoD computer with several
restrictions due to security issues. I can't for the life of me think of a
good reason to disable the General Tab, especially since they did not disable
the Advanced Tab.
--
Johnson B.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> What Windows version? It is in Tools | Internet Options | General Tab. Why
> don't you have access?
>
> Access to Internet options is also available via the Control Panel.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Handgunner" <Handgunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to turn off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8, but do not have access to the
> > General Tab in Tools. Is there another way to turn it off?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> > --
> > Johnson B.

> .

Bruce Hagen

Re: Turning off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8
Maybe they want to be able to see the cookies you accumulate? Couldn't
say. But if it is disabled also in the Control Panel, then you'll have to
take it up with your supervisor. There is nothing we can do.
--

>I am using Windows XP. The computer is a DoD computer with several
> restrictions due to security issues. I can't for the life of me think
> of a
> good reason to disable the General Tab, especially since they did not
> disable
> the Advanced Tab.
> --
> Johnson B.
>

> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
>
>> What Windows version? It is in Tools | Internet Options | General Tab.
>> Why
>> don't you have access?
>>
>> Access to Internet options is also available via the Control Panel.
>> --
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Handgunner" <Handgunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want to turn off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8, but do not have access to
>> >the
>> > General Tab in Tools. Is there another way to turn it off?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >

>> > --
>> > Johnson B.

>> .

Re: Turning off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8
WYSIWYG...unless your IT Dept will disable tabbed browsing or you're looking
for a court martial.

Handgunner wrote:
> I am using Windows XP. The computer is a DoD computer with several
> restrictions due to security issues. I can't for the life of me think of
> good reason to disable the General Tab, especially since they did not
> disable the Advanced Tab.
>
>> What Windows version? It is in Tools | Internet Options | General Tab.
>> Why
>> don't you have access?
>>
>> Access to Internet options is also available via the Control Panel.
>>
>>> I want to turn off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8, but do not have access to
>>> the
>>> General Tab in Tools. Is there another way to turn it off?

VanguardLH

Handgunner wrote:

> I am using Windows XP. The computer is a DoD computer with several
> restrictions due to security issues. I can't for the life of me think of a
> good reason to disable the General Tab, especially since they did not disable
> the Advanced Tab.

Whomever owns that property (the host you are using) decided to setup
IE8 a certain way by pushing policies on their network to their hosts.
Go complain to whomever are your IT folks or helpdesk. They'll probably
tell you that blocking access to certain settings in IE8 is by policy.
Unless you are in the top management, they probably won't change it just
for your host.

If the owner or whomever manages that host says that they do not have a
policy pushed to your host to block access to the options for IE8 then
you might be infected with malware, or perhaps you install security
software that locked down the web browser. To enable the tabs in
Internet Options requires access to the registry which means you have to
logon under an admin-level account. Even if you are given
"administrator" rights to your own host when logged into the company's
domain, that may still be limited in what permissions you get on your
host. Ask your IT folks if you have *full* admin privileges on your
host when logged into their domain, or ask for the login credentials for
a local account on that host. I doubt they'll give you either.
Jeff Strickland

Re: Turning off Tabbed Browsing in IE 8

"Handgunner" <Handgunner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP. The computer is a DoD computer with several
> restrictions due to security issues. I can't for the life of me think of
> good reason to disable the General Tab, especially since they did not
> disable
> the Advanced Tab.
> --
> Johnson B.

I can't think of a reason to turn off Tabbed Browsing.

If you want a new instance of IE instead of a tab in the current instance,
then simply start the new instance by clicking on the icon. Opening a tab is
far easier, and faster, and switching between them is also quicker.

In a DoD environment, your life may be far different than everybody else's
though. Having said that, if you can navigate away from whatever they use
for the Home Page, then you can open a tab or a new instance, and navigate
to the same places.