IE7 opens a blank IE6 page when clicking URL

Thierry D

IE7 opens a blank IE6 page when clicking URL
Hi, I have an issue with 2 users at my office. They both run Windows XP SP3
with IE7. The issue is the following: when no website is opened, they open
one either through hyperlink or desktop icon, it then opens a blank IE6 page
which freezes for a minute or so, then the requested page opens. The blank
IE6 page stays there and can't be used to navigate at all.
I tried applying this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385/fr
but no success...any ideas?

Re: IE7 opens a blank IE6 page when clicking URL
Please define "IE6 page"? Also answer the following questions by number in
your reply:

1. Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?

2. Are both computers fully-patched at Windows Update?

4. Has a Repair Install of WinXP ever been done on these two computers for
some reason?

5. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES) &
reboot?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

6. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
in the background when you installed IE7 and/or SP3?

7. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on these
machines (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
it)?

Thierry D wrote:
> Hi, I have an issue with 2 users at my office. They both run Windows XP
> SP3
> with IE7. The issue is the following: when no website is opened, they
> open
> one either through hyperlink or desktop icon, it then opens a blank IE6
> page
> which freezes for a minute or so, then the requested page opens. The blank
> IE6 page stays there and can't be used to navigate at all.
> I tried applying this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385/fr
> but no success...any ideas?

Thierry D

Re: IE7 opens a blank IE6 page when clicking URL
The blank page that opens has the IE6 icon at the top right corner and the
related process is explorer.exe in the task manager (instead of iexplorer.exe
for IE7)
Also:
1. IE7 was installed first, we just upgraded to SP3.
2. We do not use Windows update to patch our computers, we use a third-party
application but yes both laptops are fully patched.
3. (You skipped question number 3?)
4. The repair Install wasn’t performed on any of those computers. One of the
2 is brand new HP 6930p, just imaged and configured.
5. Just applied the fix and the behavior remains after reboot. (21-05-2010)
6. McAfee suite is what we use and it is fully registered. No anti-spyware
and no third-party firewall. Odds are that the suite was running when we
upgraded to SP3 but not IE7.
7. No

Does http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com say they're fully-patched?

> McAfee suite is what we use and it is fully registered.

Would that be McAfee Internet Security, McAfee Total Protection, (God
forbid) McAfee Security Center (freebie or paid version), or...?

> IE7 was installed first, we just upgraded to SP3.

Why wasn't SP3 installed two years ago when it was released?

If you disable all McAfee processes (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
firewall), enable the Windows Firewall, uninstall SP3, reboot twice and do
NOT reinstall SP3 yet, does the behavior persist?

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation [and
uninstall]
~PA Bear

Thierry D wrote:
> The blank page that opens has the IE6 icon at the top right corner and the
> related process is explorer.exe in the task manager (instead of
> iexplorer.exe for IE7)
> Also:
> 1. IE7 was installed first, we just upgraded to SP3.
> 2. We do not use Windows update to patch our computers, we use a
> third-party
> application but yes both laptops are fully patched.
> 3. (You skipped question number 3?)
> 4. The repair Install wasn’t performed on any of those computers. One of
> the
> 2 is brand new HP 6930p, just imaged and configured.
> 5. Just applied the fix and the behavior remains after reboot.
> (21-05-2010)
> 6. McAfee suite is what we use and it is fully registered. No anti-spyware
> and no third-party firewall. Odds are that the suite was running when we
> upgraded to SP3 but not IE7.
> 7. No
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please define "IE6 page"? Also answer the following questions by number
>> in
>> your reply:
>>
>> 1. Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
>>
>> 2. Are both computers fully-patched at Windows Update?
>>
>> 4. Has a Repair Install of WinXP ever been done on these two computers
>> for
>> some reason?
>>
>> 5. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES) &
>> reboot?
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> 6. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>> applications running in the background when you installed IE7 and/or SP3?
>>
>> 7. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
>> these
>> machines (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Thierry D wrote:
>>> Hi, I have an issue with 2 users at my office. They both run Windows XP
>>> SP3
>>> with IE7. The issue is the following: when no website is opened, they
>>> open
>>> one either through hyperlink or desktop icon, it then opens a blank IE6
>>> page
>>> which freezes for a minute or so, then the requested page opens. The
>>> blank
>>> IE6 page stays there and can't be used to navigate at all.
>>> I tried applying this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385/fr
>>> but no success...any ideas?

>> .

Dan

"Thierry D" <Thierry D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have an issue with 2 users at my office. They both run Windows XP
> SP3
> with IE7. The issue is the following: when no website is opened, they
> open
> one either through hyperlink or desktop icon, it then opens a blank IE6
> page
> which freezes for a minute or so, then the requested page opens. The blank
> IE6 page stays there and can't be used to navigate at all.
> I tried applying this fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385/fr
> but no success...any ideas?

Check the settings for opening URLs - I'm guessing that they've been set to
default to using the old IE6 Explorer Mode, which is commonly used on Citrix
setups. This has a habit of not working properly once IE7 is installed, but
what a lot of admins seem to do is change the program association to the
c:\windows\ie6\iexplore.exe application which is something Citrix has
suggested in the knowledge base - but this can have unexpected problems.

--
Dan