Security Status Bar Missing in IE8

eli

Security Status Bar Missing in IE8
Hello:

I installed IE8 about two days ago, and I don't see the security status icon
near the addres bar, where I believe it should be. I no longer see the
locked icon near address of a secure site. Nor do I see a way to get "more
inof about this site" by right-clicking on the address bar icon.
How can I get these back?

Thanks:

-eli

Windows XP Pro SP3
IE 8.0.6001.18702

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Security Status Bar Missing in IE8

> Hello:
>
> I installed IE8 about two days ago, and I don't see the security status
> icon near the addres bar, where I believe it should be. I no longer see
> the locked icon near address of a secure site. Nor do I see a way to get
> "more inof about this site" by right-clicking on the address bar icon.
> How can I get these back?

Make sure that the (unspecified example) site you are visiting is properly
secure. You won't see that feature if it isn't.

eli

Re: Security Status Bar Missing in IE8
Yes..I'm seeing it on some sites, such as email and where I pay my phone
bill...But the icon disappears once I'm sign in. I guess that's how it is
meant to be?

-eli

*******************************

>> Hello:
>>
>> I installed IE8 about two days ago, and I don't see the security status
>> icon near the addres bar, where I believe it should be. I no longer see
>> the locked icon near address of a secure site. Nor do I see a way to get
>> "more inof about this site" by right-clicking on the address bar icon.
>> How can I get these back?

> Make sure that the (unspecified example) site you are visiting is properly
> secure. You won't see that feature if it isn't.

Dan

Re: Security Status Bar Missing in IE8
If the icon disappears, then something in the page is not being viewed
securely. There might be an image, for instance, being pulled from a
non-secure URL. IE only shows the padlock if everything on the page is being
viewed securely. Normally IE will warn you if you are viewing a site that
contains unsecure content and asks you if you want to view it without the
non-secure parts loaded, just pick the right option to retain padlock
(although some elements of the page may then not be loaded).

Dan

"eli" <someone@somebody.com> wrote in message
> Yes..I'm seeing it on some sites, such as email and where I pay my phone
> bill...But the icon disappears once I'm sign in. I guess that's how it is
> meant to be?
>
> -eli
>
> *******************************
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I installed IE8 about two days ago, and I don't see the security status
>>> icon near the addres bar, where I believe it should be. I no longer see
>>> the locked icon near address of a secure site. Nor do I see a way to get
>>> "more inof about this site" by right-clicking on the address bar icon.
>>> How can I get these back?

>> Make sure that the (unspecified example) site you are visiting is
>> properly secure. You won't see that feature if it isn't.

eli

Re: Security Status Bar Missing in IE8
For example, when I go to G Mail and am not yet logged in, I see the padlock
to the right of the address bar, but once I'm signed in and the email is
viewable, the padlock icon disappears.

Which setting do I need to readjust , if that icon should remain there after
the page loads?

-eli

**********************************
"Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
> If the icon disappears, then something in the page is not being viewed
> securely. There might be an image, for instance, being pulled from a
> non-secure URL. IE only shows the padlock if everything on the page is
> being viewed securely. Normally IE will warn you if you are viewing a site
> that contains unsecure content and asks you if you want to view it without
> the non-secure parts loaded, just pick the right option to retain padlock
> (although some elements of the page may then not be loaded).
>
> Dan
>

> "eli" <someone@somebody.com> wrote in message
>> Yes..I'm seeing it on some sites, such as email and where I pay my
>> phone bill...But the icon disappears once I'm sign in. I guess that's how
>> it is meant to be?
>>
>> -eli
>>
>> *******************************
>>

>> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message

>>> Make sure that the (unspecified example) site you are visiting is
>>> properly secure. You won't see that feature if it isn't.

eli

Re: Security Status Bar Missing in IE8
ADDENDUM:

On the other hand, when I go to my phone bill account and banking account,
the padlock icom remains. So perhaps this is as it should be. Its gmail,
google claendar and yahoo email in which the padlock is there at login
page, but disapears once login is completed and email is drawn up..

-eli
> For example, when I go to G Mail and am not yet logged in, I see the
> padlock to the right of the address bar, but once I'm signed in and the
> email is viewable, the padlock icon disappears.
>
> Which setting do I need to readjust , if that icon should remain there
> after the page loads?
>
> -eli
>
> **********************************
> "Dan" <news@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
>> If the icon disappears, then something in the page is not being viewed
>> securely. There might be an image, for instance, being pulled from a
>> non-secure URL. IE only shows the padlock if everything on the page is
>> being viewed securely. Normally IE will warn you if you are viewing a
>> site that contains unsecure content and asks you if you want to view it
>> without the non-secure parts loaded, just pick the right option to retain
>> padlock (although some elements of the page may then not be loaded).
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> "eli" <someone@somebody.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes..I'm seeing it on some sites, such as email and where I pay my
>>> phone bill...But the icon disappears once I'm sign in. I guess that's
>>> how it is meant to be?
>>>
>>> -eli
>>>
>>> *******************************

Re: Security Status Bar Missing in IE8
After you've signed in to Gmail, is the URL (still) https://mail.google.com?

Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate | Select CUSTOM and scan |
Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g., KB980182). If a Root
Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software updates category on
the left-hand side of the scan results window, install it to take full
advantage of IE8's enhanced security.

Test.

eli wrote:
> On the other hand, when I go to my phone bill account and banking account,
> the padlock icom remains. So perhaps this is as it should be. Its gmail,
> google claendar and yahoo email in which the padlock is there at login
> page, but disapears once login is completed and email is drawn up..
>
>> For example, when I go to G Mail and am not yet logged in, I see the
>> padlock to the right of the address bar, but once I'm signed in and the
>> email is viewable, the padlock icon disappears.
>>
>> Which setting do I need to readjust , if that icon should remain there
>> after the page loads?
>>
>>> If the icon disappears, then something in the page is not being viewed
>>> securely. There might be an image, for instance, being pulled from a
>>> non-secure URL. IE only shows the padlock if everything on the page is
>>> being viewed securely. Normally IE will warn you if you are viewing a
>>> site that contains unsecure content and asks you if you want to view it
>>> without the non-secure parts loaded, just pick the right option to
>>> retain
>>> padlock (although some elements of the page may then not be loaded).

eli

Re: Security Status Bar Missing in IE8
Hi:

The URL is that plus a suffix : shva=1#

I installed that root certificates update, but that padlock icon still
disappears after the gmail is loaded

-eli

******************************
> After you've signed in to Gmail, is the URL (still)
> https://mail.google.com?
>
> Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate | Select CUSTOM and scan |
> Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g., KB980182). If a Root
> Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software updates category on
> the left-hand side of the scan results window, install it to take full
> advantage of IE8's enhanced security.
>
> Test.
>
> eli wrote:
>> On the other hand, when I go to my phone bill account and banking
>> account,
>> the padlock icom remains. So perhaps this is as it should be. Its gmail,
>> google claendar and yahoo email in which the padlock is there at login
>> page, but disapears once login is completed and email is drawn up..
>>
>>> For example, when I go to G Mail and am not yet logged in, I see the
>>> padlock to the right of the address bar, but once I'm signed in and the
>>> email is viewable, the padlock icon disappears.
>>>
>>> Which setting do I need to readjust , if that icon should remain there
>>> after the page loads?

Re: Security Status Bar Missing in IE8
Have you rebooted yet?

eli wrote:
> Hi:
>
> The URL is that plus a suffix : shva=1#
>
> I installed that root certificates update, but that padlock icon still
> disappears after the gmail is loaded
>
> -eli
>
> ******************************
>> After you've signed in to Gmail, is the URL (still)
>> https://mail.google.com?
>>
>> Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
>> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate | Select CUSTOM and scan |
>> Install any Critical Security Updates offered (e.g., KB980182). If a
>> Root
>> Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software updates category
>> on
>> the left-hand side of the scan results window, install it to take full
>> advantage of IE8's enhanced security.
>>
>> Test.
>>
>> eli wrote:
>>> On the other hand, when I go to my phone bill account and banking
>>> account,
>>> the padlock icom remains. So perhaps this is as it should be. Its gmail,
>>> google claendar and yahoo email in which the padlock is there at login
>>> page, but disapears once login is completed and email is drawn up..

eli

Re: Security Status Bar Missing in IE8
yes, several times since installing that root certificate update.

-eli