IE 7 and Restricted sites

sheila4typing

IE 7 and Restricted sites
I went into restricted sites and add facebook on my son's computer and now I
would like to remove that so he can get to facebook. The problem is when I
facebook page it show at the bottom restricted site. How do I remove this to
allow him to go there?
He has Microsoft Vista on is computer.
Thank you
Sheila

Re: IE 7 and Restricted sites
Are you thinking of Content Advisor vs. Restricted Sites security zone?
[Placing facebook.com in Restricted Sites zone wouldn't keep him from
accessing the website.]

sheila4typing wrote:
> I went into restricted sites and add facebook on my son's computer and now
> would like to remove that so he can get to facebook. The problem is when
> facebook page it show at the bottom restricted site. How do I remove this
> to allow him to go there?
> He has Microsoft Vista on is computer.
> Thank you
> Sheila

sheila4typing

Re: IE 7 and Restricted sites
I did go into Restricted zone and typed in www.facebook.com so that he could
not get to facebook; however now I have removed that restriction from my home
and he is allowed to access this website. My problem is it is not in the
restricted zone to remove it.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you thinking of Content Advisor vs. Restricted Sites security zone?
> [Placing facebook.com in Restricted Sites zone wouldn't keep him from
> accessing the website.]
>
> sheila4typing wrote:
> > I went into restricted sites and add facebook on my son's computer and now
> > would like to remove that so he can get to facebook. The problem is when
> > facebook page it show at the bottom restricted site. How do I remove this
> > to allow him to go there?
> > He has Microsoft Vista on is computer.
> > Thank you
> > Sheila

> .

Re: IE 7 and Restricted sites
You missed the point: Placing a website in Restricted Sites security zone
[as in IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Restricted Sites] does NOT
disable any user from accessing the website.

You may have used Vista Parental Controls (or some other software) to
disable access to the site. If so, you'll have to re-enable access that
way. See
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ental-controls
and
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...iew-on-the-web.

sheila4typing wrote:
> I did go into Restricted zone and typed in www.facebook.com so that he
> could
> not get to facebook; however now I have removed that restriction from my
> home and he is allowed to access this website. My problem is it is not in
> the restricted zone to remove it.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Are you thinking of Content Advisor vs. Restricted Sites security zone?
>> [Placing facebook.com in Restricted Sites zone wouldn't keep him from
>> accessing the website.]
>>
>> sheila4typing wrote:
>>> I went into restricted sites and add facebook on my son's computer and
>>> now
>>> would like to remove that so he can get to facebook. The problem is
>>> when
>>> the
>>> facebook page it show at the bottom restricted site. How do I remove
>>> this
>>> to allow him to go there?
>>> He has Microsoft Vista on is computer.

sheila4typing

Re: IE 7 and Restricted sites
Wow, now I am really confused. About 6 months ago I reformatted his computer
and removed the parental controls (he is the admin - no password etc) and I
know I went into IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Restricted Sites
and put in that website. Once I did that I verified he could not get into
facebook. I am wondering now if he went in there and messed with something.
When I go to www.facebook.com on that page before I log on it says Javascript
is disabled on your browser. I went ahead and logged in to my account and
takes me to the same log in page over and over. Any suggestions?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You missed the point: Placing a website in Restricted Sites security zone
> [as in IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Restricted Sites] does NOT
> disable any user from accessing the website.
>
> You may have used Vista Parental Controls (or some other software) to
> disable access to the site. If so, you'll have to re-enable access that
> way. See
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ental-controls
> and
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...iew-on-the-web.
>

> sheila4typing wrote:
> > I did go into Restricted zone and typed in www.facebook.com so that he
> > could
> > not get to facebook; however now I have removed that restriction from my
> > home and he is allowed to access this website. My problem is it is not in
> > the restricted zone to remove it.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Are you thinking of Content Advisor vs. Restricted Sites security zone?
> >> [Placing facebook.com in Restricted Sites zone wouldn't keep him from
> >> accessing the website.]

> .

Re: IE 7 and Restricted sites
1. Right-click on My Computer & select Properties: What Windows version is
displayed in the resulting General tab (e.g., Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2)?

2a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)?

2b. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
it and which would have been reinstalled, but invalid, when you reinstalled
Windows "about 6 months ago")?

3. IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | click on/highlight Restricted
Sites | click on Sites button: Closely examine the list. If
www.facebook.com and/or *.facebook.com is listed, select/highlight it then
click on the Remove button. Close IE, reboot & test.

sheila4typing wrote:
> Wow, now I am really confused. About 6 months ago I reformatted his
> computer and removed the parental controls (he is the admin - no password
> etc) and I know I went into IE Tools | Internet Options | Security |
> Restricted Sites and put in that website. Once I did that I verified he
> could not get into facebook. I am wondering now if he went in there and
> messed with something. When I go to www.facebook.com on that page before I
> log on it says Javascript is disabled on your browser. I went ahead and
> logged in to my account and takes me to the same log in page over and
> over.
> Any suggestions?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> You missed the point: Placing a website in Restricted Sites security zone
>> [as in IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Restricted Sites] does
>> NOT
>> disable any user from accessing the website.
>>
>> You may have used Vista Parental Controls (or some other software) to
>> disable access to the site. If so, you'll have to re-enable access that
>> way. See
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ental-controls
>> and
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...iew-on-the-web.
>>

>> sheila4typing wrote:
>>> I did go into Restricted zone and typed in www.facebook.com so that he
>>> could
>>> not get to facebook; however now I have removed that restriction from my
>>> home and he is allowed to access this website. My problem is it is not
>>> in
>>> the restricted zone to remove it.

rob^_^

Re: IE 7 and Restricted sites
+ Tools>Internet Options, Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

(Robear: I had a bar fight with EL about this on his blog.)
Re: FB says scripting is disabled. This will only occur if FB is in the
Internet Zone AND active scripting has been disabled BUT Meta refresh is
still enabled (default for Internet Zone). Sites in the Restricted Zone have
both Active Scripting and META Refresh disabled.

Regards.

> 1. Right-click on My Computer & select Properties: What Windows version is
> displayed in the resulting General tab (e.g., Windows XP Professional
> Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2)?
>
> 2a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> 2b. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it and which would have been reinstalled, but invalid, when you
> reinstalled Windows "about 6 months ago")?
>
> 3. IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | click on/highlight Restricted
> Sites | click on Sites button: Closely examine the list. If
> www.facebook.com and/or *.facebook.com is listed, select/highlight it then
> click on the Remove button. Close IE, reboot & test.
>

> sheila4typing wrote:
>> Wow, now I am really confused. About 6 months ago I reformatted his
>> computer and removed the parental controls (he is the admin - no password
>> etc) and I know I went into IE Tools | Internet Options | Security |
>> Restricted Sites and put in that website. Once I did that I verified he
>> could not get into facebook. I am wondering now if he went in there and
>> messed with something. When I go to www.facebook.com on that page before
>> log on it says Javascript is disabled on your browser. I went ahead and
>> logged in to my account and takes me to the same log in page over and
>> over.
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> You missed the point: Placing a website in Restricted Sites security
>>> zone
>>> [as in IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Restricted Sites] does
>>> NOT
>>> disable any user from accessing the website.
>>>
>>> You may have used Vista Parental Controls (or some other software) to
>>> disable access to the site. If so, you'll have to re-enable access that
>>> way. See
>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ental-controls
>>> and
>>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...iew-on-the-web.

sheila4typing

Re: IE 7 and Restricted sites
1 - Windows Vista Home Service Pack 2
2a - AVG anti-virus, Spybot and AD-Aware. They are all current. We run
each of them once a week. No third-party, just Windows firewall and is
turned on.
2b - Nothing came with the computer. Before I formatted I have Norton but
did not put it back on.
3 - There is no mention of facebook in restricted sites.

Thanks
Sheila

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Right-click on My Computer & select Properties: What Windows version is
> displayed in the resulting General tab (e.g., Windows XP Professional
> Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2)?
>
> 2a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> 2b. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it and which would have been reinstalled, but invalid, when you reinstalled
> Windows "about 6 months ago")?
>
> 3. IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | click on/highlight Restricted
> Sites | click on Sites button: Closely examine the list. If
> www.facebook.com and/or *.facebook.com is listed, select/highlight it then
> click on the Remove button. Close IE, reboot & test.
>

> sheila4typing wrote:
> > Wow, now I am really confused. About 6 months ago I reformatted his
> > computer and removed the parental controls (he is the admin - no password
> > etc) and I know I went into IE Tools | Internet Options | Security |
> > Restricted Sites and put in that website. Once I did that I verified he
> > could not get into facebook. I am wondering now if he went in there and
> > messed with something. When I go to www.facebook.com on that page before I
> > log on it says Javascript is disabled on your browser. I went ahead and
> > logged in to my account and takes me to the same log in page over and
> > over.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> You missed the point: Placing a website in Restricted Sites security zone
> >> [as in IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Restricted Sites] does
> >> NOT
> >> disable any user from accessing the website.
> >>
> >> You may have used Vista Parental Controls (or some other software) to
> >> disable access to the site. If so, you'll have to re-enable access that
> >> way. See
> >> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ental-controls
> >> and
> >> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...iew-on-the-web.

> .

sheila4typing

Re: IE 7 and Restricted sites
I have not done + Tools>Internet Options, Security tab, click "Reset all
zones to default yet, should I?

"rob^_^" wrote:

> + Tools>Internet Options, Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"
>

> (Robear: I had a bar fight with EL about this on his blog.)
> Re: FB says scripting is disabled. This will only occur if FB is in the
> Internet Zone AND active scripting has been disabled BUT Meta refresh is
> still enabled (default for Internet Zone). Sites in the Restricted Zone have
> both Active Scripting and META Refresh disabled.
>
> Regards.

> > 1. Right-click on My Computer & select Properties: What Windows version is
> > displayed in the resulting General tab (e.g., Windows XP Professional
> > Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2)?
> >
> > 2a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> > Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >
> > 2b. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> > computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> > bought it and which would have been reinstalled, but invalid, when you
> > reinstalled Windows "about 6 months ago")?
> >
> > 3. IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | click on/highlight Restricted
> > Sites | click on Sites button: Closely examine the list. If
> > www.facebook.com and/or *.facebook.com is listed, select/highlight it then
> > click on the Remove button. Close IE, reboot & test.
> >

> > sheila4typing wrote:
> >> Wow, now I am really confused. About 6 months ago I reformatted his
> >> computer and removed the parental controls (he is the admin - no password
> >> etc) and I know I went into IE Tools | Internet Options | Security |
> >> Restricted Sites and put in that website. Once I did that I verified he
> >> could not get into facebook. I am wondering now if he went in there and
> >> messed with something. When I go to www.facebook.com on that page before
> >> log on it says Javascript is disabled on your browser. I went ahead and
> >> logged in to my account and takes me to the same log in page over and
> >> over.
> >> Any suggestions?

Re: IE 7 and Restricted sites
Humor me and do the following:

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as
Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run
completes, then reboot.

4. Reset IE7 Advanced settings per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 &
reboot once more.

5. After making certain that Parental Controls is not enabled [1] or that
facebook.com is not blocked *and* "some web content [is not] blocked
automatically," [2] see if the behavior persists.

[1]
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ental-controls

[2]