IE8 and Win 7 - no internet

David

IE8 and Win 7 - no internet
Hi,

I have tried most things I know to fix this and still it frustrates
me.

Am running Windows 7 and IE8. IE8 does not connect to the Internet, it
just waits with "Connecting..." in the tab bar.

Firefox and Chrome connect and work as a dream.

The internal Windows Firewall is used, but IE looks to be enabled,
settings the same as FF.

Using MSE for anti-virus.

Tried:

1) Resetting IE8, deleting everything
2) Removing it, rebooting and installing again
3) Running the malicious software tool
4) Checking under 'network settings'

Everything :-(

Recently had a crash so wonder if something was corrupted, though
hoped the removal, reinstall would fix that.

I use OpenDNS, but as above everything else but IE apparently works
fine.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

David

Re: IE8 and Win 7 - no internet
On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:28:44 +0100, David
<amharcAE@ice.age.fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have tried most things I know to fix this and still it frustrates
>me.
>
>Am running Windows 7 and IE8. IE8 does not connect to the Internet, it
>just waits with "Connecting..." in the tab bar.
>
>Firefox and Chrome connect and work as a dream.
>
>The internal Windows Firewall is used, but IE looks to be enabled,
>settings the same as FF.
>
>Using MSE for anti-virus.
>
>Tried:
>
>1) Resetting IE8, deleting everything
>2) Removing it, rebooting and installing again
>3) Running the malicious software tool
>4) Checking under 'network settings'
>
>Everything :-(
>
>Recently had a crash so wonder if something was corrupted, though
>hoped the removal, reinstall would fix that.
>
>I use OpenDNS, but as above everything else but IE apparently works
>fine.
>
>Hope someone can help.
>
>Thanks

....and tried running with no add ons...forgot to say that

Re: IE8 and Win 7 - no internet
David wrote:
>> I have tried most things I know to fix this and still it frustrates
>> me.
>>
>> Am running Windows 7 and IE8. IE8 does not connect to the Internet, it
>> just waits with "Connecting..." in the tab bar.
>>
>> Firefox and Chrome connect and work as a dream.
>>
>> The internal Windows Firewall is used, but IE looks to be enabled,
>> settings the same as FF.
>>
>> Using MSE for anti-virus.
>>
>> Tried:
>>
>> 1) Resetting IE8, deleting everything
>> 2) Removing it, rebooting and installing again
>> 3) Running the malicious software tool
>> 4) Checking under 'network settings'
>>
>> Everything :-(
>>
>> Recently had a crash so wonder if something was corrupted, though
>> hoped the removal, reinstall would fix that.
>>
>> I use OpenDNS, but as above everything else but IE apparently works
>> fine.
>>

> ...and tried running with no add ons...forgot to say that

When (approx. date) did you install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and
was the computer fully-patched at Windows Update at the time?

What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your
subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed
MSE?

it)?

Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other
anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected
computer?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...3-efd9a49d9275

Microsoft Security Essentials Support Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...S/category/mse

David

Re: IE8 and Win 7 - no internet
On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:20:20 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>David wrote:
>>> I have tried most things I know to fix this and still it frustrates
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Am running Windows 7 and IE8. IE8 does not connect to the Internet, it
>>> just waits with "Connecting..." in the tab bar.
>>>
>>> Firefox and Chrome connect and work as a dream.
>>>
>>> The internal Windows Firewall is used, but IE looks to be enabled,
>>> settings the same as FF.
>>>
>>> Using MSE for anti-virus.
>>>
>>> Tried:
>>>
>>> 1) Resetting IE8, deleting everything
>>> 2) Removing it, rebooting and installing again
>>> 3) Running the malicious software tool
>>> 4) Checking under 'network settings'
>>>
>>> Everything :-(
>>>
>>> Recently had a crash so wonder if something was corrupted, though
>>> hoped the removal, reinstall would fix that.
>>>
>>> I use OpenDNS, but as above everything else but IE apparently works
>>> fine.
>>>

>> ...and tried running with no add ons...forgot to say that

>When (approx. date) did you install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and
>was the computer fully-patched at Windows Update at the time?

A while ago - pretty much when this was fully released so last year
sometime from memory and things have been working faultlessly since
then

>What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your
>subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed
>MSE?

eSet --

>Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
>it)?

Nope - installed Win 7 clean