Installation of IE8 on XP with SP2 hangs

Wolfgang Holesch

Installation of IE8 on XP with SP2 hangs
The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 - May
2010) in Phase 5 of the installation.

When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan hangs
scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the
application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll.

I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software,
booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee
Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security.

I really appreicate any help on our issue
Wolfgang
Dan

Re: Installation of IE8 on XP with SP2 hangs

"Wolfgang Holesch" <TNMMNBBQKQZM@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 -
> May
> 2010) in Phase 5 of the installation.
>
> When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan hangs
> scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the
> application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll.
>
> I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software,
> booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee
> Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security.
>
> I really appreicate any help on our issue
> Wolfgang

AV apps rarely will scan for malware/adware. I would suggest you scan with
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and see what that picks up.

Also try running the MSRT with your PC disconnected from the internet and
your AV software disabled - there may be a conflict, especially if you are
running McAfee products or more than one AV product at the same time.

--
Dan

Re: Installation of IE8 on XP with SP2 hangs
Why isn't SP3 installed yet? That should be your first priority.

Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually installed.

• What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-support-mean

Wolfgang Holesch wrote:
> The installion of IE8 hangs during command mrt.exe Version (3.7.3702.0 -
> May
> 2010) in Phase 5 of the installation.
>
> When I start the Malicious Software Removal Tool manually, the scan hangs
> scanning an unsuspicious application (stickies.exe). After deleting the
> application the next scan hangs at %windir%\system32\shell32.dll.
>
> I did an offline anti-virus check wih BitDefender and Kapersky software,
> booting from a special CD-Rom with no malware found. We are using McAfee
> Enterprise Verion 8.5i for online anti-virus security.
>
> I really appreicate any help on our issue
> Wolfgang

Rob

PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why isn't SP3 installed yet? That should be your first priority.
>
> Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
> running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
> Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
> website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually installed.

Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
Tom Willett

Re: Installation of IE8 on XP with SP2 hangs

":
: Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?

It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
automatic.

Rob

Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:

> ":
> : Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
>
> It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
> automatic.

I think it isn't automatic at all.
We have a "webcafe" network at work where all systems are set to
"install updates automatically" and the users normally work as normal
users. SP3 is not installed in that case. When an administrator logs
in on the workstations, SP3 is offered and has to be agreed, only then it
will be installed.
Same for IE7 and IE8.

Rob

Re: Installation of IE8 on XP with SP2 hangs
Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:
> It will offer it on automatic updates, and yes, it must be agreed to.
>
> "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
> : Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:
> : >
> : > ":
> : > : Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
> : >
> : > It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
> : > automatic.
> :
> : I think it isn't automatic at all.
> : We have a "webcafe" network at work where all systems are set to
> : "install updates automatically" and the users normally work as normal
> : users. SP3 is not installed in that case. When an administrator logs
> : in on the workstations, SP3 is offered and has to be agreed, only then it
> : will be installed.
> : Same for IE7 and IE8.

The network I describe has been set to silently install updates (using
group policy) and in that case the updates that require an "agree" will
not even be offered. Very inconvenient that you cannot configure that
you want to install all important updates, also the ones that require
an "agree".
Jeff Strickland

Re: Installation of IE8 on XP with SP2 hangs

"Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
> Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:
>>
>> ":
>> : Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
>>
>> It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
>> automatic.

> I think it isn't automatic at all.

SP3 is an Automatic Update. It needs to be installed before IE8, and IE8
comes as part of the update to SP3.

SP3 needs an acceptance, as you have noticed.

Rob

Jeff Strickland <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Rob" <nomail@example.com> wrote in message
>> Tom Willett <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ":
>>> : Why is SP3 not an Automatic Update?
>>>
>>> It is, but someone has blocked it. And, after that date, it won't be
>>> automatic.

>> I think it isn't automatic at all.

> SP3 is an Automatic Update. It needs to be installed before IE8, and IE8
> comes as part of the update to SP3.
>
> SP3 needs an acceptance, as you have noticed.

I call something automatic when it happens without user action.