Favorites Bar -- how remove or hide?

George

Favorites Bar -- how remove or hide?
Since the Menu Bar includes among other things, Favorites, I find
the Favorites Bar below the Command Bar redundant and taking up
unnecessary space. I have spent hours trying to remove or hide
the Favorites Bar without success. Any ideas on how to get rid of
the gold star and the "Favorites" text?

TIA,
George

VanguardLH

Re: Favorites Bar -- how remove or hide?
George wrote:

> Since the Menu Bar includes among other things, Favorites, I find
> the Favorites Bar below the Command Bar redundant and taking up
> unnecessary space. I have spent hours trying to remove or hide
> the Favorites Bar without success. Any ideas on how to get rid of
> the gold star and the "Favorites" text?
>
> TIA,
> George

How about right-clicking on the toolbar (menu or tab) and customizing to
deselect viewing the Favorite Bar? Of course, since you are showing the
Menu bar, you could've used the View -> Toolbars menu.
George

Re: Favorites Bar -- how remove or hide?
It's deselected, but it still won't go away, even after a reboot.

> George wrote:
>
>> Since the Menu Bar includes among other things, Favorites, I
>> find
>> the Favorites Bar below the Command Bar redundant and taking up
>> unnecessary space. I have spent hours trying to remove or hide
>> the Favorites Bar without success. Any ideas on how to get rid
>> of
>> the gold star and the "Favorites" text?
>>
>> TIA,
>> George

> How about right-clicking on the toolbar (menu or tab) and
> customizing to
> deselect viewing the Favorite Bar? Of course, since you are
> showing the
> Menu bar, you could've used the View -> Toolbars menu.

rob^_^

Re: Favorites Bar -- how remove or hide?
Hi George,
I think you mean the Favorites Center button, which is on the lhs of the
tabs bar. There is an outstanding ticket at connect about this.
Unfortunately you cannot hide or disable it, even with Group Policy.
Regards.

rob^_^ wrote:

> George wrote ...
>
>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> How about right-clicking on the toolbar (menu or tab) and
>>> customizing to deselect viewing the Favorite Bar? Of course, since
>>> you are showing the Menu bar, you could've used the View ->
>>> Toolbars menu.

>> It's deselected, but it still won't go away, even after a reboot.

> I think you mean the Favorites Center button, which is on the lhs of
> the tabs bar. There is an outstanding ticket at connect about this.
> Unfortunately you cannot hide or disable it, even with Group Policy.

That's because it is NOT just a button to show the Favorites list. It
displays a *pane* where you can elect to see Favorites, History, or
Feeds. Under the View menu, it is the Explorer Bar (where you can pick
tab panel to display when it opens). The star button is just a
shortcut to the same Explorer Bar (which is really a pane - or a pain
to the OP).

The Favorites Bar (toolbar) and the Explorer Bar (pane) are not the same
thing. I based my reply on what the OP said, not what he meant to say.
George

Re: Favorites Bar -- how remove or hide?
OK, I was able to customize it to show only the gold star icon. I
guess I'll just have to live with it.

> rob^_^ wrote:
>
>> George wrote ...
>>
>>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> It's deselected, but it still won't go away, even after a
>>> reboot.

>> I think you mean the Favorites Center button, which is on the
>> lhs of
>> the tabs bar. There is an outstanding ticket at connect about
>> this.
>> Unfortunately you cannot hide or disable it, even with Group
>> Policy.

> That's because it is NOT just a button to show the Favorites
> list. It
> displays a *pane* where you can elect to see Favorites, History,
> or
> Feeds. Under the View menu, it is the Explorer Bar (where you
> can pick
> tab panel to display when it opens). The star button is just a
> shortcut to the same Explorer Bar (which is really a pane - or a
> pain
> to the OP).
>
> The Favorites Bar (toolbar) and the Explorer Bar (pane) are not
> the same
> thing. I based my reply on what the OP said, not what he meant
> to say.

Jeff Strickland

> Since the Menu Bar includes among other things, Favorites, I find the
> Favorites Bar below the Command Bar redundant and taking up unnecessary
> space. I have spent hours trying to remove or hide the Favorites Bar
> without success. Any ideas on how to get rid of the gold star and the
> "Favorites" text?
>
> TIA,
> George

That line is where the tabs are displayed. If you use tabbed browsing (and,
why wouldn't you use that?) then the golden star doesn't take up any space.
Or, it takes no space that could be used for anything else but another icon.