How to Change the file associated with IE's Windows Media Player Add-on

Herbert Chan

How to Change the file associated with IE's Windows Media Player Add-on
Hello,

My home computer is not playing streaming videos that are embedded in
websites correctly, while my office computer can. Both machines use
Internet Explorer as the web browser. I compare their settings under IE's
"Manage Add-ons" and find one difference between them.

At home, the file associated with Windows Media Player under the IE Manage
Add-on dialog box is msdxm.ocx. At work, the file is wmpdxm.dll. I want to
change the home computer IE Manage Add-on setting to be the same as that for
office computer.

How can I change the setting to point to the file wmpdxm.dll?

Thanks in advance.

Herbert

Andrew E.

RE: How to Change the file associated with IE's Windows Media Player A
Those active X files should'nt have any bearing on playing videos.Open
WMP,click on tools,options,file types tab,select all,check the other tabs
as well & adjust as needed..

"Herbert Chan" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My home computer is not playing streaming videos that are embedded in
> websites correctly, while my office computer can. Both machines use
> Internet Explorer as the web browser. I compare their settings under IE's
> "Manage Add-ons" and find one difference between them.
>
> At home, the file associated with Windows Media Player under the IE Manage
> Add-on dialog box is msdxm.ocx. At work, the file is wmpdxm.dll. I want to
> change the home computer IE Manage Add-on setting to be the same as that for
> office computer.
>
> How can I change the setting to point to the file wmpdxm.dll?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Herbert

Herbert Chan

Re: How to Change the file associated with IE's Windows Media Player Add-on
Hello,

My problem is that when I browse to a website with embedded windows media
player streaming video, only the windows media player logo is shown and the
audio will play. The expected video image is not shown. That is totally
weird. At work, the computer can display such website with the streaming
video without any problem. Both machines have Win XP and IE 8.

I have been trying to figure out a solution for a few months already. I
have tried what you suggest and it doesn't make any difference.

Does anyone know which registry entry I should tweak to get what I need? Or
are there any people out there who also have Win XP and IE 8 and the windows
media player add-on also pointing to the file msdxm.ocx but experience no
problem with browsing streaming video within IE?

Herbert

"Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> 在郵件張貼內容主旨
FCF7AE3C-8573-44B1-9923-D71772F9CE7D@microsoft.com 中撰寫...
> Those active X files should'nt have any bearing on playing videos.Open
> WMP,click on tools,options,file types tab,select all,check the other tabs
> as well & adjust as needed..
>
> "Herbert Chan" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> My home computer is not playing streaming videos that are embedded in
>> websites correctly, while my office computer can. Both machines use
>> Internet Explorer as the web browser. I compare their settings under
>> IE's
>> "Manage Add-ons" and find one difference between them.
>>
>> At home, the file associated with Windows Media Player under the IE
>> Manage
>> Add-on dialog box is msdxm.ocx. At work, the file is wmpdxm.dll. I want
>> change the home computer IE Manage Add-on setting to be the same as that
>> for
>> office computer.
>>
>> How can I change the setting to point to the file wmpdxm.dll?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Herbert

rob^_^

Re: How to Change the file associated with IE's Windows Media Player Add-on
Hi Herbert,

Tools>Internet Options, Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

ALWAYS choose the default security zone settings. Tweaking these settings in
the hope of 'Getting things to work' may leave you vulnerable at other
sites.

Add sites to either your Trusted or Restricted sites Zones to manage your
internet security.

If still no luck, when you have reset your security zone settings, check
your firewall settings... is it blocking scripts? or perhaps you have
installed an IE Addon that blocks scripts. IE's InPrivate filtering can also
block third-party content, but you would see scripting errors instead of the
WMP logo.

Regards.

"Herbert Chan" <herbert@chan.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My problem is that when I browse to a website with embedded windows media
> player streaming video, only the windows media player logo is shown and
> the audio will play. The expected video image is not shown. That is
> totally weird. At work, the computer can display such website with the
> streaming video without any problem. Both machines have Win XP and IE 8.
>
> I have been trying to figure out a solution for a few months already. I
> have tried what you suggest and it doesn't make any difference.
>
> Does anyone know which registry entry I should tweak to get what I need?
> Or are there any people out there who also have Win XP and IE 8 and the
> windows media player add-on also pointing to the file msdxm.ocx but
> experience no problem with browsing streaming video within IE?
>
> Herbert
>
> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> 在郵件張貼內容主旨
> FCF7AE3C-8573-44B1-9923-D71772F9CE7D@microsoft.com 中撰寫...
>> Those active X files should'nt have any bearing on playing videos.Open
>> WMP,click on tools,options,file types tab,select all,check the other tabs
>> as well & adjust as needed..
>>
>> "Herbert Chan" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> My home computer is not playing streaming videos that are embedded in
>>> websites correctly, while my office computer can. Both machines use
>>> Internet Explorer as the web browser. I compare their settings under
>>> IE's
>>> "Manage Add-ons" and find one difference between them.
>>>
>>> At home, the file associated with Windows Media Player under the IE
>>> Manage
>>> Add-on dialog box is msdxm.ocx. At work, the file is wmpdxm.dll. I
>>> want to
>>> change the home computer IE Manage Add-on setting to be the same as that
>>> for
>>> office computer.
>>>
>>> How can I change the setting to point to the file wmpdxm.dll?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Herbert

Rob

Re: How to Change the file associated with IE's Windows MediaPlayer Add-on
Herbert Chan <herbert@chan.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My problem is that when I browse to a website with embedded windows media
> player streaming video, only the windows media player logo is shown and the
> audio will play. The expected video image is not shown. That is totally
> weird. At work, the computer can display such website with the streaming
> video without any problem. Both machines have Win XP and IE 8.
>
> I have been trying to figure out a solution for a few months already. I
> have tried what you suggest and it doesn't make any difference.

Maybe you have set a proxy server in internet explorer and/or media player?

I have found that with a proxy server in use, some sites refuse to send
the video or they send only a slideshow of one frame per 5 seconds or so.
With a direct connection, they send the full video. But for other sites
it works okay with the proxy.

I have not been able to figure out the reason for this. At work, we can
only access internet via a proxy and some video sites simply do not work.
I once called an admin for such a site and he was not aware of anything
he did that could cause this.
(the video material was free and he did not intend to try to protect it
somehow, for example)
Robert Aldwinckle

> Hello,
>
> My home computer is not playing streaming videos that are embedded in
> websites correctly, while my office computer can. Both machines use
> Internet Explorer as the web browser. I compare their settings under IE's
> "Manage Add-ons" and find one difference between them.
>
> At home, the file associated with Windows Media Player under the IE Manage
> Add-on dialog box is msdxm.ocx. At work, the file is wmpdxm.dll. I want
> to change the home computer IE Manage Add-on setting to be the same as
> that for office computer.
>

> How can I change the setting to point to the file wmpdxm.dll?

On which OS? For which WMP? Open it and compare what you see in Tools,
Options, File Types (if it's there in your OS.) FWIW I just checked on
mine in W7 and don't see a File Types tab in there any more? I guess that
must be done via W7's Default Programs tool now then?... Yes. It looks as
if using Set Associations to list all associations in all programs, then
sorting by Current Default and then scrolling to entries for Windows Media
Player would give you something analogous to the old File Types dialog.
Who knew? ; )

Also, to check whether you just have a connectivity issue or an integration
issue see if you can capture the URL involved and then just play it with WMP
via its Ctrl-u dialog.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Herbert

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: How to Change the file associated with IE's Windows Media Player Add-on
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version
when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next
reply.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 &
IE8 in all OSS]

Vista & WinXP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Win7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lorer-settings

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)? Vista or WinXP: Were any of these
applications running in the background when you installed IE8?

it)?