File/Send/Link by Email greyed out

Niall

File/Send/Link by Email greyed out
I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8.
On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and
"Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I can
enable those commands again?
Thanks

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: File/Send/Link by Email greyed out

"Niall" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8.
> On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and
> "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I
> can
> enable those commands again?
> Thanks

Re-register your mail client for all its protocols.

Niall

Re: File/Send/Link by Email greyed out
What on earth does that mean?

> "Niall" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
>> I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8.
>> On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and
>> "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I
>> can
>> enable those commands again?
>> Thanks

> Re-register your mail client for all its protocols.

Jeff Strickland

Re: File/Send/Link by Email greyed out
One, you should post at the bottom, not the top. Having said that, you
should follow the posting scheme of those that you are following. I'm
following a top post, so I reply in kind. You posted on top, and that was an
error because the person you follow posted at the bottom.

Two, your Default E-mail client in IE is not valid, so you cannot Send Link
By E-mail. You need to click Tools>Internet Options>Programs, and set your
e-mail client as the default.

> What on earth does that mean?
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Niall" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
>>> I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8.
>>> On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and
>>> "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I
>>> can
>>> enable those commands again?
>>> Thanks

>> Re-register your mail client for all its protocols.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: File/Send/Link by Email greyed out

"Niall" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message

>> Re-register your mail client for all its protocols.

> What on earth does that mean?

You're in W7. You use its Defaults Programs tool to register a
program's defaults. You haven't told us what your mail client is, probably
WLMail. So, pick it and set *all* its defaults.

---

Re: File/Send/Link by Email greyed out
Unlike Vista & WinXP, Win7 doesn't include a default Mail Client. [What were
they thinking?]

You will have to install one (e.g., MS Outlook; Windows Live Mail;
Thunderbird) and then set it as your default for Mail in the CUSTOM
(<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults before
any Send To or MailTo functions will become available.

You'll find support for Win7 Mail Clients in this forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...etwork/threads

You will find support for Windows Live Mail in this public newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop

. Via your newsreader (i.e., Windows Live Mail):

And in Windows Live Mail Support Forums (new 08 March 2010)
http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=15

Niall wrote:
> I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8.
> On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and
> "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I
> can
> enable those commands again?
> Thanks

Niall

> Unlike Vista & WinXP, Win7 doesn't include a default Mail Client. [What
> were they thinking?]
>
> You will have to install one (e.g., MS Outlook; Windows Live Mail;
> Thunderbird) and then set it as your default for Mail in the CUSTOM
> (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults before
> any Send To or MailTo functions will become available.
>
> You'll find support for Win7 Mail Clients in this forum:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...etwork/threads
>
> You will find support for Windows Live Mail in this public newsgroup:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
>
> . Via your newsreader (i.e., Windows Live Mail):
>
> And in Windows Live Mail Support Forums (new 08 March 2010)
> http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=15
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Niall wrote:
>> I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8.
>> On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and
>> "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I
>> can
>> enable those commands again?
>> Thanks

Got it, guys. Thanks a lot. I use WLM and I never set it as default before.
I can't find a newsgroup for another problem I have so I'll post it here and
ask if anyone can send me to the right place. (It does not involve IE.)
When I right click a file or folder and select "Sent to" I don't get the
"Desktop (Create shortcut)" option. It is not there at all. How can I get
that option back?
Sorry for not observing the right etiquette of posting my message at the
bottom.
Niall

Jeff Strickland

>> Unlike Vista & WinXP, Win7 doesn't include a default Mail Client. [What
>> were they thinking?]
>>
>> You will have to install one (e.g., MS Outlook; Windows Live Mail;
>> Thunderbird) and then set it as your default for Mail in the CUSTOM
>> (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults before
>> any Send To or MailTo functions will become available.
>>
>> You'll find support for Win7 Mail Clients in this forum:
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...etwork/threads
>>
>> You will find support for Windows Live Mail in this public newsgroup:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
>>
>> . Via your newsreader (i.e., Windows Live Mail):

>> And in Windows Live Mail Support Forums (new 08 March 2010)
>> http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=15
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Niall wrote:
>>> I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8.
>>> On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and
>>> "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I
>>> can
>>> enable those commands again?
>>> Thanks

> Got it, guys. Thanks a lot. I use WLM and I never set it as default
> before.
> I can't find a newsgroup for another problem I have so I'll post it here
> and ask if anyone can send me to the right place. (It does not involve
> IE.)
> When I right click a file or folder and select "Sent to" I don't get the
> "Desktop (Create shortcut)" option. It is not there at all. How can I get
> that option back?
> Sorry for not observing the right etiquette of posting my message at the
> bottom.
> Niall

In XP Pro, one Right Clicks and selects Create Shortcut, NOT Send To. You
don't want to Send To a shortcut, you want to Create a shortcut. You can
press and hold the CTRL Key and drag the file to the new location, and a
shortcut will be created automatically.

Open Windows Explorer in a Normal Window, and drag the desired file(s) to
the Desktop while holding the CTRL Key.

Turns out, my advise is not entirely correct. You can hold the CTRL Key
while you drag files and folders, but this makes copies of the files and
folders, not shortcuts to them. The distinction is that the copy can be
changed while leaving the original intact; when the shortcut is created, the
original file is changed when the shortcut is opened. But you can right
click the file or folder in Windows Explorer and select Create Shortcut,
then drag the result to the Desktop.

Niall wrote:
>>> I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8.
>>> On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and
>>> "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I
>>> can
>>> enable those commands again?

>> Unlike Vista & WinXP, Win7 doesn't include a default Mail Client. [What
>> were they thinking?]
>>
>> You will have to install one (e.g., MS Outlook; Windows Live Mail;
>> Thunderbird) and then set it as your default for Mail in the CUSTOM
>> (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults before
>> any Send To or MailTo functions will become available.
>>
>> You'll find support for Win7 Mail Clients in this forum:
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...etwork/threads
>>
>> You will find support for Windows Live Mail in this public newsgroup:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
>>
>> . Via your newsreader (i.e., Windows Live Mail):

>> And in Windows Live Mail Support Forums (new 08 March 2010)
>> http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=15

> Got it, guys. Thanks a lot. I use WLM and I never set it as default
> before.
> I can't find a newsgroup for another problem I have so I'll post it here
> and
> ask if anyone can send me to the right place. (It does not involve IE.)
> When I right click a file or folder and select "Sent to" I don't get the
> "Desktop (Create shortcut)" option. It is not there at all. How can I get
> that option back?
> Sorry for not observing the right etiquette of posting my message at the
> bottom.

[Adjustments have been made.]

Post about your other problem here:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...rmance/threads

Windows 7-specific Support Forums (no newsgroups)
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7

Niall

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Niall" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message

>>> Unlike Vista & WinXP, Win7 doesn't include a default Mail Client. [What
>>> were they thinking?]
>>>
>>> You will have to install one (e.g., MS Outlook; Windows Live Mail;
>>> Thunderbird) and then set it as your default for Mail in the CUSTOM
>>> (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults
>>> before any Send To or MailTo functions will become available.
>>>
>>> You'll find support for Win7 Mail Clients in this forum:
>>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...etwork/threads
>>>
>>> You will find support for Windows Live Mail in this public newsgroup:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
>>>
>>> . Via your newsreader (i.e., Windows Live Mail):

>>> And in Windows Live Mail Support Forums (new 08 March 2010)
>>> http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=15
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

>> Got it, guys. Thanks a lot. I use WLM and I never set it as default
>> before.
>> I can't find a newsgroup for another problem I have so I'll post it here
>> and ask if anyone can send me to the right place. (It does not involve
>> IE.)
>> When I right click a file or folder and select "Sent to" I don't get the
>> "Desktop (Create shortcut)" option. It is not there at all. How can I get
>> that option back?
>> Sorry for not observing the right etiquette of posting my message at the
>> bottom.
>> Niall
>>>

> In XP Pro, one Right Clicks and selects Create Shortcut, NOT Send To. You
> don't want to Send To a shortcut, you want to Create a shortcut. You can
> press and hold the CTRL Key and drag the file to the new location, and a
> shortcut will be created automatically.
>
> Open Windows Explorer in a Normal Window, and drag the desired file(s) to
> the Desktop while holding the CTRL Key.
>
> Turns out, my advise is not entirely correct. You can hold the CTRL Key
> while you drag files and folders, but this makes copies of the files and
> folders, not shortcuts to them. The distinction is that the copy can be
> changed while leaving the original intact; when the shortcut is created,
> the original file is changed when the shortcut is opened. But you can
> right click the file or folder in Windows Explorer and select Create
> Shortcut, then drag the result to the Desktop.

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your input. I am pretty sure I could always right click a file,
select "Send to" and see the option "Desktop (Create shortcut)". I've had
Win 95, 98, XP and Vista and now 7. You just click that option and the
shortcut is created on the desktop without any further work. I know your way
works - I could still create a shortcut on the desktop and I usually "right
dragged" the file to the desktop and clicked "create shortcut here". But it
was a hassle to reduce the window to normal and drag the file like that when
I knew I could do it a simpler way.
Anyway I learned how to get it back. I clicked the Start button, typed
"shell:sendto" and there I created the file "Desktop (Create
shortcut).desklink".
Thanks everybody for your help.
Niall